Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Block Cracked

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerno View Post
    This is in Waco. I'd just grab it and throw your TPI/accy's on it and see what happens, can't be worse than a cracked block and I bet you can get it much less than asking price. At least then you're on track and getting some practice in.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...75025250081624
    Yea, Sean has a good 305 as well I’ve considered buying. This engine I have runs amazing and was super reliable. Just had a water jacket freeze damage. Ran it for a whole season with JBWeld gooped over the cracks with almost zero preparation (trackside repair). If I can just seal up this block I feel she’ll last for a good long time.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Or he could do a 5.3 swap?
    Ok ok. Going LS now. Always told myself as soon as this 305 lets loose I’ll do the swap. Now the lower end is gone. Talked with Sean at length about rebuilding a 305 core of his and continue with the TPI…..but…… I’m buying a whole turn key 5.3 today. Still not sure if I’ll go T56 or stick with the T5. Definitely gonna be on a budget (is that a thing). My goal is to get this car up and running reliably and do a DE to shake it down before October deployment. This way when we get back in July 2022, the car is solid and ready.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Still not sure if I’ll go T56 or stick with the T5.
    Unfortunately it appears the data says you WILL break the T5. I think Sean has a bellhousing/clutch/T5 setup for the LS laying around the shop.

I mean, you could just drive slow and controlled and nurse the T5... probably better for me... I mean you.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Could do a TKO or TKX (unofficially).
    RM CMC Director

I have heard the T5 doesnt handle LS too well. Im sure I'll end up with a T56. Its the easy button. I saw an LT1/T56 combo on for $3500. Was thinking about it. But I already have this 5.3.

If anyone sees or knows of a reasonable T56 forsale please let me know!!
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

I have heard the T5 doesnt handle LS too well. Im sure I'll end up with a T56. Its the easy button. I saw an LT1/T56 combo on for $3500. Was thinking about it. But I already have this 5.3.

You can buy the whole damn LT1/T56 car for less than that if you're patient.
    RM CMC Director

You may know this already but just in case, the LT vs LS T56s are different.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    You may know this already but just in case, the LT vs LS T56s are different.

- Josh
    I think I priced the parts to convert one last year at $600, but it's a full teardown to do it.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    I think I priced the parts to convert one last year at $600, but it's a full teardown to do it.
    some will say you can just pull the front plate and swap it and the input shaft. We're in the camp if you're pulling it apart look at everything and shim it anyway. Since we starting shimming 2-3 thou tighter than factory we've had fewer issues.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    some will say you can just pull the front plate and swap it and the input shaft. We're in the camp if you're pulling it apart look at everything and shim it anyway. Since we starting shimming 2-3 thou tighter than factory we've had fewer issues.
    And don't forget to marinade the blocker rings.

@David:
    Do I remember right that on one rebuild we had some issues measuring for shims because usually the trans was dry but on that particular one there had been trans fluid in it and we kept getting different readings on the dial depending on if we spun the shaft or not? If I recall, it made 1-2 thou difference in the measurement.
    --
    ------__o
    -----_\ <,_
    ----(_)/ (_)
    Laissez les bons temps rouler