Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Block Cracked

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Survive is relative - yes it will work until it doesn't. Will you need a different bellhousing? I think you'll need a customer transmission mount because I believe the T5 is canted over 20ish degrees.

PS - our experience is that optis are not as bad as they're made out to be... Does Lingenfelter still have these? https://www.lingenfelter.com/product/BAI-LTCC.html I didn't call to see.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Survive is relative - yes it will work until it doesn't. Will you need a different bellhousing? I think you'll need a customer transmission mount because I believe the T5 is canted over 20ish degrees.

PS - our experience is that optis are not as bad as they're made out to be... Does Lingenfelter still have these? https://www.lingenfelter.com/product/BAI-LTCC.html I didn't call to see.

Isn’t the LT1 the same bellhousing bolt pattern and depths as every other SBC? I’ve been running the old 305TPI with T5. From what I read I thought the LT1 bolts right up bellhousing flywheel clutch and all. I may have misunderstood something here. I guess I need to do some more digging. I got Time. I’ll do some more research.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I'm under the impression that the LT1 should bolt in and go unless they're balanced differently in which case you'd be in it for a flywheel. My Opti was installed in 2014 (knock on wood), but it was an AC Delco that they quit making.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Paging Gary. He ran the T5 behind his LT and should know what's needed along with if it will last.

It will definitely work-but maybe like the Ford's that used to always bring a spare T5 (especially at Hallett).

I'm racing an LT now. I remember a conversation with Mitch about them sorting out the opti issues but don't remember what they did-Glenn probably knows. Do you have the complete pullout with wiring harness?

Nice find OIF - https://www.bailey-eng.com/product/l...der-converter/
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Jealous not being able to come and attend Hallett this year.

Being deployed I have too much time to think about racecar stuff. Ive been building a 5.3 and getting ready to do the swap. I came across a good deal on an LT1 complete turn key with accessories and T56 trans and bought it. The trans needs rebuild, but was thinking about what if I bolted up the LT1 to the T5 currently in the car. Would the T5 survive? Most seem to think it would not survive behind the 5.3. I would assume the same behind an LT1. Just asking what ya'll think. Some other forums have folks who thrash on the LT1/T5 and say it seems to survive but thats probably on street tires and street conditions. The LT1 would be so much more simple in terms of engine mount, trans bolt up, driveshaft mod ect. (Ive read plenty about the optispark issues and torqhead is an expensive fix).

Im still planning to do the 5.3 but just window shopping other ideas.
    Why would you ever want to run an LT at all? If you are dropping the money on a Torquehead LS computer swap.... why not just go straight LS?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Why would you ever want to run an LT at all? If you are dropping the money on a Torquehead LS computer swap.... why not just go straight LS?
    I’m not gonna do torque head. Too spensive. I already have a spare T5 and I think standard opti with a spare or two should do just fine.

Again I bought this LT1 with a broke T56 (6th gear is not working) for $700. LT1 I think will bolt in without mods, notching the k-member for the oil pan, dealing with trans and engine mounts. And oh by the way I think my SBC canton pan will work with it too.

I have missed a whole year of racing because I spent the last few months after Hallett 2021 with my wife and kids before the deployment instead of in the garage sorting out the car. And when I get back, still family 1st kinda deal. I just want the quickest easiest solution that is the most bang for the buck that gets me back in the track the fastest. I have everything except the wiring harness and PCM for the LS I even have a brand new T56. But it needs a bit of sorting to deal with.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

A much cheaper alternative is being explored that eliminates the optical sensor as a failure point, no need to write off the LT because of that alone.
    RM CMC Director

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    A much cheaper alternative is being explored that eliminates the optical sensor as a failure point, no need to write off the LT because of that alone.
    Even if you eliminate the optical sensor, the cap and rotor still sucks. I had a rotor explode at the track once, another time the rotor fell off, both requiring the water pump and crank pulley to come off to get to the opti to deal with it.

Even if you eliminate the optical sensor, the cap and rotor still sucks. I had a rotor explode at the track once, another time the rotor fell off, both requiring the water pump and crank pulley to come off to get to the opti to deal with it.
    All good points. A fresh 5.3 LS swap is a $5000+ price tag half being the T56. Fresh LT1 is maybe $1500 and I have spare T5 and it all bolts up to existing mounts.

Im just window shopping ideas. I may go ahead and go with the LS Im building. Still needs a list of items to buy and sort out. I haven’t decided. Thanks for the advice and opinions.
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

I don't think that's a good example to write an engine off. I've never seen that happen myself or to anyone. The LS swap has a lot of hidden costs that really add up. Call it $600+ to convert an LT trans if you do it yourself, need clutch and master/slave. If starting with a truck motor need an intake, oil pan, all accessories, computer, wiring, and you'll make the same 260/310. All that to say I'm slowly gathering the stuff to do it myself.
    RM CMC Director