Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 minute vs 30 minute races.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar

15 minute vs 30 minute races.

So, we can all agree that a NASA 20 minute race is actually 15-16 minutes of actual racing. Less on big tracks like TWS, MSR-H and MSR-C in the 3.1 configuration.

We can extrapoloate that the National 40 minutes races will have similar percentage of green flag racing.

And we've all read the pro and cons of doing longer races.

But it's all just internet, keyboard BS. We won't REALLY know the affect until it's tried.

Can we PLEASE consider combining the 2 races on Sunday the 23rd of April to get a longer race in? Just as an experimant? Make it a double points race, but count as a single drop.

The heat shouldn't be a factor, so driver conditioning will play less of a role. But we will learn a lot about how to manage fuel, tires and setup.

There are many of us who aren't going to Nationals to compete. But there are those of us who are. Can we please accommodate those racers who are representing our region?

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I am open for any option. I won't be racing at the nationals (this year) but am willing to do whatever it takes to get those who are racing prepared for it.
    If a change is a "possibility" then I definitely think it will be wise to do it in the cooler months as Mitch noted. A 40 min. race @ TWS in the Aug. heat would be pretty brutal.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    We'll have to run this by Osama Bin Laden and I'm not so sure he's going to like it. :roll:

-=- T
    American Iron Series - National Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Todd ... be nice.

CMC17
    With the proper notice, I'm all for it.

Why not do the FULL 40 MINUTES then. If we're trying to get ready or help fellow regional drivers get ready for Nats then a 40 minute race might be a better format.

Besides, how many "cooler" months are there between now and September? April might be the only window of opportunity...........

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar
    I'm in favor for sure, even on short notice. I absolutely don't have plans to even consider nationals. I just want to do 40 minutes for the hell of it. Not too concerned w/ driver conditioning and I think the car will do just fine.... (assuming no errant potato farming)

I'd run 40 minutes in august too :twisted:
    Dust Collector

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    mmmmm 40 min races

I'm all in favor of 40 minute races.
    We don't want to be the only region with no experience running long races come Nats.

I'd like to throw out the idea of doing it on Saturday. Sat: practice, qual, 40 min race. Sun: qual, race, race. Three sessions each day rather than 4 on Sat, 2 on Sun.

I am in favor of the 40 min race on Sunday, Then the other groups might actually get a full length race. :twisted: :lol:
    Kmix
    Super Touring One
    NASA Texas Ya'll