Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Renegade Race Report

Hybrid View

Renegade Race Report

OK, since we don't seem to have any "official race report" anymore I was hoping some of you could email me your version of the most recent race weekend and I'll put together the outlaw, renegade version of a race writeup together. Pics such as the "Joe Dirt Vert" would be appreciated.

Send me a brief summary of R1-R4 from your perspective noting any "exceptional" on-track events. I'll try and crank it out by next week.
    Email to mike dot bell at bns-racing dot com. Thanks.

CMC17
    I'm game and will send some drama...er racing documentation your way.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Mike,
    Email sent.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

posted 10/23 from another site....

first off, congratulations to team Pederson/Marvel for an outstanding Season in the Texas American Iron Championship...it was a hard fought battle down to the last race and you guys deserve the fruits of the many years of your efforts.

As for AI#97, The weekend finished up with 1 pole (in the rain), 2 wins and 2 seconds and a season finish just 20 points behind the championship team.

Saturday Race 1 had me stuffed in turn one and the leading 2 AI cars running away on lap #1. I fought hard to get back to the front but a bad tire choice cost me about 1.5 seconds per lap in the effort to run the overall leader down and I ended up in Second place.

Saturday Race 2 had the grid inverted from R1 finishing positions and again after getting stuck in T1 behind a slower car, the chase was on to get back to the front. After about 4 laps, I had passed all of the American Iron field and set my sights on the lone AIX car for the overall lead. With 2 laps remaining, I passed him going into the Bus Stop and took not only First on the AI podium but the overall win for the AI/AIX/CMC race and the much needed 10 point gain on the season leader.

Sunday Qualifying was dismal with heavy rains falling and a VERY wet and slick track with standing puddles everywhere! On lap 2 a car went off in the mud and had to get yanked out. I made a mistake and passed someone just as the yellows came out, but proceeded on till the end of the session. Results had me on the pole however, my times were DQ'd and I was sent to the back of the 20 car field.

Sunday Race 1, with a rolling start from the back of the grid with a still damp track, AI #97 came to life with a mission at hand. By the end of the second lap, I had passed all of the CMC field and most of the American Iron field and was working diligently to chase down the points leader who had a comfortable 1/2 mile lead. 9 laps later the checkered flag fell with AI #97 in second place overall just 1.9 seconds behind the AI leader in what was heralded as the drive of the weekend from all competitors. AI#97 set the fast AI lap of the weekend of 1:45.3, just shy of a track record. The stands were going wild with the clinic of skill that was put on to show that V8 Muscle Car racing in Texas is where the action is at!

Sunday Race 2, was a rolling inverted grid yet again and by lap 3, AI #97 had made it to the front again. A couple cars made it off course for a full course caution and upon the restart the race was on. Dave Irwin and Dave Capps in their FR500C clones were hot in the chase setting their fastest laps of the weekend each. The white flag was shown and Irwin was going for broke and had a great drag race with #97 going into turn 3 with the cars neck and neck going DEEP into the braking zone and with just inches between the cars and AI #97 on the inside emerged from turn 6 in the lead and stayed there through the remaining 10 turns and on to the checkered flag for the second win of the weekend.

Season recap for AI #97 resulted in 8 wins, 20 total podiums in 21 races with just one DNF.....all in my rookie season. I want to thank those that stood behind me throughout the season, most notably VT Engines for the badass motor and to HPP Racing for the support and tuning to keep the car at the front all year. I also want to thank Maximum Motorsports for the great suspension pieces that turned the car into a corner carving Monster.

Thanks for the quick responses and pics sent already guys. Anyone having any "ON TRACK" photos they can share would be greatly appreciated.

I know most of us are busy driving the cars but if someone had a friend or significant other taking snapshots of the action please pass them along and keep the weekend notes coming!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    My race report would be very easy.

My very first time on track for first practice.... car got hot at 260+ after it blew a radiator hose and lost all the water.

Refilled with water and re-tightened hose and went out for Qualifying. Only made a few laps and was too hot again. Radiator cracked and lost all of the water again.

I tired a quick repair of the radiator and refilled and bled the system just barely in time for R1.

R1....got overheated again and cracked the radiator worse and lost water again.

Morgan loaned me a radiator for R2. I replaced it and went out for R2, but it overheated again after several laps and decided to park it for the weekend.

I think it must be a blown head gasket or warped head as a result of the first overheating of the day.

So a pretty crappy first weekend for this rookie.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bell
    Thanks for the quick responses and pics sent already guys. Anyone having any "ON TRACK" photos they can share would be greatly appreciated.

I know most of us are busy driving the cars but if someone had a friend or significant other taking snapshots of the action please pass them along and keep the weekend notes coming!
    I think I have a couple at the house I will send out tonight!

Senior Member Grass-Passer oz98cobra's Avatar
    Leah was running around with the camera trackside and in the pits all weekend, so I'll send you some pics and some words from my point of view tonight.
    Daron
    AI75 DownUnder Racing

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    My weekend:

Practice - really slow, like I was lost

Qual 1 - picked up some time and qualified 4th.

Race 1 - got stuck behind two AI (Lyons and another) cars that tangled in turn 1 on the start and watched almost the entire field go past - bummer. Finished 7th.

Race 2 - runnin' mid-pack and got black-flagged for not putting my window net up - big bummer but got to do a wicked burnout in the hot pits!!!

Saturday night - enjoyed the video watchin' and shrimp eatin', didn't enjoy the cold, rainy, mosquito infested, Todd-snoring tent experience quite as much.

Qual 2 - didn't run in the rain

Race 3 - started near the back - finished 8th

Race 4 - running in 4th behind Eric and trying to give him a hard time but couldn't really. We were watching Todd chase Jeff from a distance when Todd lost it into the mud at turn 16 giving us a long yellow and had to wait nervously as the rest of the pack was catching hoping I could hold on to third place once we went green again. Placed third - woohooo podium!!!! Somehow I missed out on the trophy, the girls, and the champagne spray - bummer.

Memorable moments -

Hounding Boudy for a few laps - long enough to start wondering what all the lights on his dashboard were for.

Pressuring Morgan untill he lost it in turn 3 - two different times.

Wondering why Glenn was passing me in the grass with the wheels locked going into turn 16 - luckily it turn out ok.

Watching the US Air Force Thunderbirds flying at Ellington Field while we were cruising around under yellow in R4.

FUN FUN FUN
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Yeah guys, great idea! Don't email me your stuff like I asked, just post it all up here save me the effort of putting together a race report. :roll:

I'd rather read it here first. :wink:

I'll put the pics received in the gallery.