Thread: Ford 4.6 diagnosis, advice needed

Threaded View

Ford 4.6 diagnosis, advice needed

I'm getting the Stang ready for Cresson, and I'm trying to figure out the issue that plagued me at MSRH a few weeks ago.

I had some weird fuel pressure gauge issues that lead to me replacing the fuel pump and filter. Due to Ford's brilliant design, the pump is currently without a filter sock. The sock is lying in the bottom of the tank somewhere.
    As it turns out, the fuel pressure gauge was defective. A mechanical gauge shows no problems.

After race 3, we went to impound. The car refused to start afterwards. I had to go out with my student, so didn't troubleshoot at all. I believe that Sook poked at it a bit. After the car had cooled, it started right up.
    On the out lap of race 4, the car was weak. It felt like misfires or a lean condition, I couldn't be sure which. I did the start to help with contingency, then brought it in. Unfortunately, the car idled well, and was only weak when under load. So short of driving it on the street and potentially getting arrested, I don't have a way to test it.

Currently it's running fine. I've swapped out the cam and crank position sensors with some used spares. I don't know what else to try, but am open to suggestions.
    Last edited by fscott; 02-17-2022 at 06:13 PM.