Thread: #48 Fire Repair Guidance

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries

#48 Fire Repair Guidance

Working on getting the 48 1995 LT1 Camaro repaired from the small fire to make Hallett. Curious about any input from the collective knowledge of this group. Here are the areas I'm working on:

Fuel Lines/System: Car had the factory plastic LT lines. I have a set of LS metal lines that I'm looking to adapt. They are aluminum lines from basically the fuel filter to up between the fender and exhaust manifold. Then I'll need a fitting and hose to the regulator for the 5/16" return line. From the tank is plastic lines and I'll have to straighten a bend there on the return but the feed line bolts up. Any thoughts please share.

Brakes: Master cylinder reservoir was melted. I have spare LS master and reservoir. Reservoir looks like it would work but on RockAuto they do show a different part number for both the reservoir and master. Anyone know if they are interchangeable?

Air Intake/Opti: Looking into the vacuum lines from the opti which go to the intake and air intake but one line has some check valve and orifice? I have an LT air intake setup so good there.

Wiring: Any way to tell if a wire that's been exposed to some heat is still safe to run or not? Replacing any wiring that the insulation has melted but the Painless harness doesn't look bad. Coolant temp wire is the worst and then the wiring to the fan on the other side of

Throttle cable: The plastic is melted some. Still works but I didn't find that the part is available?

Thanks for any input.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I feel your pain here all too much. Have you thought about 98-02 V6 lines? It has a fuel return and the same 3/8 5/16 setup as the LT. They are routed the same as an LS1 too. I think that's what's going onto my car next. That plastic line is nothing but trouble. Once a fire starts, the line goes and just keeps feeding the fire.
    RM CMC Director

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    I feel your pain here all too much. Have you thought about 98-02 V6 lines? It has a fuel return and the same 3/8 5/16 setup as the LT. They are routed the same as an LS1 too. I think that's what's going onto my car next. That plastic line is nothing but trouble. Once a fire starts, the line goes and just keeps feeding the fire.
    Yeah I heard about yours, too. Sounds like the LS and V6 lines are almost the same. The LS has 3/8 feed and a 5/16 return which is really just the evap. Plastic would still be from the pump to the filter for both feed and return. I'll upload a picture tomorrow.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    The LS has 3/8 and 5/16 in the engine bay, yes, but to/from the tank is a bit different with the filter/regulator in tank/return splice. If the early LS cars had a return and canister then that changes things. Do you have donors available or are you planning a junkyard run?
    RM CMC Director

Blog Entries
    I have LS lines from donor and already have them mocked on the car. For the 3/8 from the tank there is a T fitting before the filter that I will need to plug or have a regular straight through connector. The 5/16 line goes from the filter area towards the tank but makes a 90 in the area it would connect to the LT plastic line. I Think I can just straighten that 90 some or put another bend in it so it will connect to the plastic return line.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries
    See if this works from my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries
    Here is the 5/16 return lines that need to be connected.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries
    This is the 3/8 feed fitting before the filter that goes back to tank which I wouldn’t need. So either plug or new fitting to connect
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

I don't know if it helps you any but I have a spare LT fuel line set. I can bring it to Hallett

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the offer Ryan. Good news is the car runs with just replacing the fuel lines. Ended up using PTFE from the metal LT lines in the middle of the car routed the same way up the fender well. Used Earl's fittings on rail and fuel line and Fragola line/connectors-Gernon's rec.

Haven't found much of anything on the master cylinder reservoir but seems like the LS works on the LT but I'll bring the LS master as well in case it needs to be swapped.

OIF sent a wiring harness to try-Sweet! But wiring scares me! Have some new plug wires and if I can get all the other wiring replaced along with replacing this harness I should be good to go.

Car cleaned up well on the outside. Need to pull it outside to clean under the hood, wish I could power wash it.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24