Thread: December 2022, ECR recap

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar

December 2022, ECR recap

We had an amazing weekend of racing last weekend as we had the last event of 2022. Randy Hernandez was the lone AI car and we had 7 total CMC cars with Todd Spickard joining the group in his green SN95 Mustang he purchased from Frederick. It was a pretty chilly weekend with just a few small rain showers on Friday and Sunday.

R1 was a flying start with an invert grid from qualifying. It started interesting with a BMW gridding in the wrong spot and was released in the middle of the CMC field for the out lap. The driver pulled an "I was 7th!!!" and passed 1/2 of the CMC field as well as 1/2 of the ST field on the out lap to get back to their normal grid spot. (It is not good to get DQ'd before the race even starts) In the ST flying start the same BMW driver had contact with another ST car and spun, putting them again right in the middle of the CMC field as we took the green flag. The BMW decided to race everyone in CMC while Sam built a nice gap to the rest of the field and cruised to an easy R1 win. Not surprisingly, the BMW was disqualified.

R2 was a standing start based on original qualifying times. I got the jump on Steve from P2 and was able to take the lead. We were just 1 or two laps in when we came up on a slow running SU Radical that Steve and I were able to get by easily going into T8. Josh, Jay, and Sam caught the Radical heading onto the back straight and a combination of unfortunate moves had the Radical and Jay spinning across track and Sam with no where to go. Sam tried to cut left and locked up but collected the Radical in the left front with his right front. This brought out a double yellow for about 4 laps as they loaded the Radical onto a flatbed and we went back green with 1 to go. I held off Steve for the win and Sam, Bryan, and Team Jordan (Jay) all had a great race battling it out for 3rd.

R3 was a flying start inverted from the R2 finish order. Right before the race there was a small amount of rain that got the track wet but no standing water at all. The group before us helped make a nice dry line around the track and we took the green at about 95% pace. On lap 1 coming out of T5 Craig had spun in his AMCM car and lots of us quickly knew why as the track out curbing was incredibly slick. Sam got sideways but was quickly able to recover without losing time. I got sideways on the same curb and tank-slapped it off track losing a spot to Josh. In the end Sam took another win with Jay holding off Steve just 3 seconds back.

R4 was a standing start based on the results from R1-3. Sam was on pole with me on his outside and we both got off the line good with a drag race to T1 side by side. Sam took the lead and never looked back. I was finally able to close in on the last lap all while Jay was closing in on me as well from 3rd. At the line Sam won by 0.6 seconds and I held off Jay by 0.8 seconds.

The previous track record that John set in December last year of 2:11.3 was beat by 4 (almost 5) drivers.
    Jay - 2:10.792
    Sam - 2:10.907
    Michael - 2:10.918
    Josh - 2:11.000
    Steve - 2:11.479

Thank you all for a great event and an excellent 2022 race season!!! 2023 will be here soon and I can't wait to see everyone at MSRH at the end of January!!
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Looks at those times! The CMC field was super tight at ECR, really glad to see and participate in such close competition.

Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Good writeup. Was a little cool and windy on Saturday but Sunday ended up being very nice after a little sprinkle which really didn't impact the racing, much.

Always great to be at the track with good people and my son. Great Friday night dinner at Sweetie Pies and USC defense not tackling. Early night in after flying in from Phoenix.

R1 I broke on the outlap. Coasted to T2 corner and parked next to the Crown Vic to take in the race. Cheap switches killed the ignition but they lasted 15 years so I'll replace them with toggles. Thanks to Steve for the spare along with Sam for a good crimper. Barely made R2 as I was watching TCU and my kid was giving me OT updates when I finally said leave me alone or I'm going to miss the race. Stayed with the pack for the Melee that I was able to avoid.

Then came the Double Yellow and the tug of war in my head. Eased up some and watched for clear track ahead but still felt like I was going too fast. Then coming around the broke Radical I went in front of it and thought I saw it start to go forward so I nailed it and had spent several laps under caution wrestling with it in my head. The kid afterwards-"why were you so slow"

I was a little off from that and from sad news at home. Daughters friend (first boyfriend) had been in hospital for a week, lost a leg and then called friends in to say goodbye. I'm unsure but don't think he had his seatbelt on which is why I'm sharing to always teach kids to wear them every time in the car. Just tried to cherish hanging around the fire.

Wasn't feeling to racy Sunday and wanted to race clean. But then I can't run under the track record either. Kudos to all in the Top 5 and Sam for keeping it together after a scary incident.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24