Is there anything in the rules about parts that were "Readily Available" but stopped? AST's aren't the first part people have used which the manufacturer quit making and there are tons of items which aren't readily available anymore. My understanding is from campfire talk that parts which were once available will always be legal. Doubt that is in the rules though. I do know the rules say something like if there is a grey area then the racer needs to have documentation of approval. Personally I think that is BS. If there is something that requires specific documentation and approval by a director then all of those items should be listed in the rulebook for everyone to see.

Shocks-As Richard posted the ruled don't say you are allowed to do anything to the shock. Which is interesting since people have them modified with different inserts like a JRI which could be better than an AST. People have also changed the valving/shim stacks or whatever. "If not specifically allowed, any modifications are prohibited." Seems to me like you aren't allowed to modify the shock at all so maybe there needs to be some language as to what is legal and what isn't? Remember Spec Iron and the shock dyno.

How about finding a readily available shock for both platforms like a Bilstein HD. It would decrease series cost, promote growth with a cheaper alternative than trying to find an obsolete part or modifying an available part and eliminate testing of different valve settings, which should improve competition making everyone on a more level playing field.