Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: high temp exhaust coating?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries

high temp exhaust coating?

anyone know of a quality place or have a hook-up @ a place that can do this??? i want to get my Y pipe coated. tired of replacing the wrap twice a year.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Careful big boy...there were some discussions on CMC forums that ceramic coating headers was not legal. I'm not so sure Y-pipes and exhaust would be any different.

I'd have to check my rule book and get a read but it's one of those "Covini Grey Areas".

-=- Todd

Blog Entries
    so if i purchased an aftermarket Y pipe (cause anything after the manifolds is open) and it happens to be ceramic oated, it would be illegal?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    I'm just saying let's be sure your interpretation is correct.
    If the rules state everything after the header is open...then gold-plate 'em.

At this late hour, I'm just recollecting the whole "no coated headers" discussion and don't want you to get bitt. (I haven't seen another CMC car with ceramic coated exhaust...so just be careful and get a ruling first.) I've learned my lesson on acting first and getting interpretations later once or twice before. :roll:

-=- Todd

Blog Entries
    its probably not gonna happen. i just spent $450 on new bearings and gaskets, valve springs and lifters and valve seals for my motor. last friday night i had everything but the cam and pistons/rods out of the block. heads still on, but that was it! trying to stop an oil leak. cubic dollars! that and it looks like my free clutch has bit the dust w/ all that oil leaking on it @ MSR-H. i was getting lots of slippage. looks like another $200 in off season spending. that and my 5 points are expired.
    good thing i gots plenty of Toyo Bucks this year.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    It was discussed more than once on the CMC website:

Long linky.

Short linky.

According to what Al posted in the short linky, even your fiberglass wrap isn't permitted.

It's also addressed in the CCR's:

Section 18.6 Engine Paint and Coatings

Engine painting is allowed, provided that it is applied to external parts only. No painting or coatings to any internal drive train parts, manifolds, etc. is allowed, unless specifically allowed by class rules.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    Naaa.
    Manifolds are one thing, F-Body Y-pipe that leans against oil pan is another.

Any f car that doesn't have their y wrapped is nuts.

jb

Blog Entries
    the rules say manifolds. i'm not talking about manifolds here. and 18.6 says "engine".
    and just so we are clear here. my manifolds are not wrapped. my Y pipe is and the rest of the exhaust. edited due to error on my part. i wrapped it to stop the buring of the paint on the floorpan. all it did was move it to the rear of the exhaust.
    the wrap is having to be replaced 2 times a year. it also holds alot of oil and is a fire hazzard. the coatings will not do this.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    It says manifolds, etc. My Camaro doesn't have an etc. but Glenn's might!

Blog Entries
    8.26. Exhaust
    All cars must use OEM stock exhaust manifolds. Any suitable exhaust system may be used after the OEM stock exhaust manifolds. The exhaust must exit behind the driver and be directed away from the car. Mufflers may be required to meet sound regulations depending on track location.

there is the rule. there are 3 requirements. exit behind the driver, directed away from the car, and possibly a muffler.

sounds like i can run what i want w/in those paramiters. if my wrap is not legal, say so now, and i'll cut it off.