Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WTB: good heads for a 302

Member Rookie

WTB: good heads for a 302

I have an engine and transmission. I am now looking for a set of heads and cam. I figure I will need a pretty big cam, so heads with springs good for over 600 lift will probably be the ticket.

Any sugesstions? I am running a carb and as light weight as possible. I am in the ripping-out stage right now.

Right now the motor looks like it will stay a 302....at least for now.

Watch out you high-dollar guys. Team Rustang is taking shape.
    Nothing...Honda Minivan- Time Trial?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    before you get crazy on the cam and go "too big"....consult with an engine builder once you find the heads and intake....you don't want a "peaky" 302....or maybe you do?! :wink:

I would also get the car on the scales as soon as you can to figure out how much HP you are going to NEED!!! You aren't going to get that SN95 as light as you think without some SERIOUS dieting!

Bring the rust!!! It's all good! 8)
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer macstang's Avatar
    If you want irons, I have a set of GT40p for 300 bucks. Already have the upgraded valvesprings so you can run a cam.
    Jerry
    Team Warhorse-Bishop/MacNeil
    CMC Mustang #44
    Red 1993 Mustang TTB # 15

>>>>RETIRED-PENDING OVERSEAS TOUR<<<<

Member Rookie
    Thanks Jerry. I am looking for aluminum ones.

Actually, I am leaning towards running the car in CMC until I can get a new motor and some more suspension pieces.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ledfoot2
    Thanks Jerry. I am looking for aluminum ones.

Actually, I am leaning towards running the car in CMC until I can get a new motor and some more suspension pieces.
    smart man. the seat time in CMC will help you when you make the move to AI.

Member Rookie
    I am trying to get a hold of moving from a 400rwhp Vette to a low 200rwhp Mustang. I don't even know if my Vette had a rear view miror in it. I guess I better get a good one for the Mustang.

CMC17
    Quote Originally Posted by ledfoot2
    I am trying to get a hold of moving from a 400rwhp Vette to a low 200rwhp Mustang. I don't even know if my Vette had a rear view miror in it. I guess I better get a good one for the Mustang.
    Momentum racing will point out all driving flaws instantly. Having hp is nice, but I can almost say for sure that you will be a much better driver after being behind the wheel of a CMC car. HP just covers up so much that the driver doesn't realize how much they are in need of attention in certain areas.

Not a slam, but you will be surprised how big the hill is when trying to momentum drive/race. Learning curve is steep, but the rewards are priceless.

Welcome to CMC!!

CMC17
    Oh, and forgot to mention that the fastest CMC cars are not that much slower than the fastest AI cars. We don't use the brakes to slow down, only turning.

Member Rookie
    Cool. I am looking forward to it. Any suggestions on a SN95? I have a carburated 302 that is stock. I am going to dyno it to see what it puts out, and work from there.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by CMC17
    Oh, and forgot to mention that the fastest CMC cars are not that much slower than the fastest AI cars. We don't use the brakes to slow down, only turning.
    4-5 seconds a lap is an eternity...course if we were going THAT slow, we wouldn't need to use the brakes at all! :wink:

Limiting factor for BOTH groups is the tires anyway..... :?
    Ah, fugg it.