Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel / tire balancing question

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar

Wheel / tire balancing question

I wanted to get some opinions regarding tire balancing. Is it really needed seeing as the tread (or lack of tread) changes so quickly over a race weekend.
    What would be your thoughts of balancing the wheel w/o tire and leaving the weights on the wheel regardless of the tire on it?

Who balances their wheels/tires every time changed? Who never balances? Who balances only w/ a fresh set?

I guess the question is should I continue to pay an extra $10 / wheel to balance them or is there a way around it.
    Thanks,
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I get mine done for free (part of a sponsorship) ... so I always balance them.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i balance:
    a new set.
    a set i think has a problem balance wise.
    if i flip the tires on the wheels (normally once per the life of the tire).

i've been known to get 6-7 weekends on a set of tires, so i use them up pretty well. i'm currently on my 3rd set of Toyo's (1/2 used) in 2 years of racing (15 nasa weekends counting Nationals). not sure how any of this helps, but i hope it does.

this is a good topic, and i am intrested in what others are doing.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70
    i balance:
    a new set.
    a set i think has a problem balance wise.
    if i flip the tires on the wheels (normally once per the life of the tire).

i've been known to get 6-7 weekends on a set of tires, so i use them up pretty well. i'm currently on my 3rd set of Toyo's (1/2 used) in 2 years of racing (15 nasa weekends counting Nationals). not sure how any of this helps, but i hope it does.

this is a good topic, and i am intrested in what others are doing.
    I balance every tire that goes on the car and I am considering buying a balancer to put in the trailer for race weekends. As much as I spend on balancing, it more or less pays for itself and I might even be able to make a buck of some of you guys.

Glenn, your statement about tire consumption is interesting. Tells me the Camaros have MUCH better front end geometry because I think many of your fellow CMC'rs running Mustangs aren't ANYWHERE near as frugal with tires.... :lol:
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    I balance and tape the weights so they don't go anywhere every time.

-=- T

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    Depends on a lot of factors for me. Race importance, track speed.
    Cresson=no. Houston=maybe. TWS/MO=yes
    But generally with shaves I don't because I'm a tight ass.
    If I had a sponsor or my own machine I would.
    I can usually tell which corner is vibrating (if in excess) and will correct it.
    If it doesn't threaten to rattle a filling at the top of 4th then I'm good.
    A little vibration adds to the sense of speed.

jb

ps
    If a corner is eating tires something is majorly wrong with car/driver.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Matt, the tire will get slower, but they are still useable. matter of fact, i practiced on my very first set of Toyo's from '05 while @ Mid Ohio for the '06 Nats. i ended up cording them. my 2nd set is my current back-ups and the 3rd set has been on the car since Hallett. i have a new set of full treads for rains used for one session (qual). i just picked up a new set saturday. i dont plan on buying new tires at all for '07. except if a go to Nats. then i'll have a fresh set for that.

kinda gotten off topic.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Thoughts and comments:

The Toyos seem to have a good construction quality/uniformity and don't seem to require much weight to begin with.

I balance every tire every time primarily to eliminate tire balance vibrations that would mask another vibration source. However, I have access to mounting and balancing equipment at no charge. If I was paying for it, I might not do it unless I felt a problem. I have not noticed the balance changing due to wear to any significant degree.

I also use standard clip-on weights as my experience with tape on weights is that they tend to fall off if not taped and the tape makes a mess when you do use it.

I also watch the tire on the balance machine while it is spinning to look for wheel out of round, tire out of round, or any bulges in the tire. Helps identify damaged tire or wheel.

Because of my access, I probably flip the tires more than others to cancel out the Mustang wear patterns in an attempt to prolong the tire's life. I also run less negative camber than most in an effort to prolong tire life as well.

There you go - my 2 cents borderlining on too much info.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar

Re: Wheel / tire balancing question

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty
    What would be your thoughts of balancing the wheel w/o tire and leaving the weights on the wheel regardless of the tire on it?
    Sorry, I missed this question before.

This strategy will do no good as the tire and wheel must be balanced as an assembly. Also, the tire is the driving factor in the equation due to its greater weight and larger diameter.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar

Re: Wheel / tire balancing question

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Liebbe
    This strategy will do no good as the tire and wheel must be balanced as an assembly. Also, the tire is the driving factor in the equation due to its greater weight and larger diameter.
    I believe the engineer speak would be "larger polar moment of inertia" instead of "greater weight and larger diameter"... 8)

nuttin but lub fo ya man.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...