Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I had a ton of fun this weekend

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar

I had a ton of fun this weekend

Ran a DE event with The Driver's Edge.

I had forgotten just how much fun these were. Low stress and tons of fun.

Saw folks I hadn't seen in a LONG time. It was very social and zero tension. No drama, no contraversy, no car contact.

Lot's of folks asked me about what the hell was going on with the NASA group and all the wrecks. They asked about all the politics.

hmmm ...

It gave me a chance to look at things from a different perspective and ask ...

WTF guys?

"We" seem to be getting a reputation in the community. And it's not something to be proud of.

I realize this isn't Sunday School or grocery shopping, but it isn't Saturday night redneck dirt track stuff either.

This is how our peer group sees us ... Are you sure that's what we want?

Racing

I heard the same thing when I delivered my car to St. Louis.

Everyone I talked to asked me the same questions, including why can't your guys in Texas stay on track.
    Specially after seeing all the video and the off track excursions. ;-)
    John G.
    www.chicane23store.com
    http://www.chicane23.com/chicane23/i...ane23_ban1.gif

Maximum Motorsports, Griggs Racing, G-Stream Wings, Brembo, Canton, Fuel Safe, Toyo Tires, Hoosier, Koni, StopTechPit Pal, etc.
    2004 & 2005 American Iron series Champion

Let me give some background ...

I started in cruising DEs in 2000, with The Driver's Edge, Motorsports Club and LSBMW. I turned my first laps at MSr before the final layer of pavement was laid.

These DE folks are my roots. It's where i came from.

Another thought came to mind ...

I find it quite sad that we all have to run in-car video in order to defend ourselves post-race or lay blame at some elses feet.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    Texas is hardly the only region that has off-track excursions, or damage from time to time.

Contact folks in any NASA region, and they'll share incidents.

We've become "headliners", if you will, because we like to share our race videos....with the nature of the 'net, they get around. Fast.

Clearly, we don't want the outward perception that we are a bunch of rebels, and our run group is like playing ping-pong with V8's. Precisely why there is a discipline process.

Video cameras are a valuable resource, used for different reasons. The primary reason I have one is to help figure out if I've made a mistake, running the wrong line, etc. If there is an incident, it helps clarify what happened.

It's part of growing pains. We need to keep a level head, and not make wild decisions one way, or the other.

Senior Member Grass-Passer oz98cobra's Avatar
    Mitch is not the only one that has heard this kind of talk about NASA TX events - it has been increasing at DEs and other gathering for the last six months.

If you want to look for a reason, then you could say it is 'growing pains' because the CMC/AI series grew rapidly so you've got a large field of rookies. But I also think that the 'system' could be improved - I do not feel that the way HPDE/Racecaft is being run right now is adequately preparing rookies for large field wheel to wheel racing series like CMC, Spec Miata. etc. I think that with the rate at which NASA TX is growing, Racecraft and competition licensing should be part of every event, complete with a couple of dedicated sessions each weekend - sessions where skills like side-by-side driving, can be learned.

But improving HPDE/Racecraft will only help drivers coming in in future - it isn't going to help us now - we have to help each other 'raise the standard'.
    Daron
    AI75 DownUnder Racing

Senior Member Rookie

Series Driving

Daron is right (as he was when he first posted an opinion), if we were on motorcycles we would have less incidents. We need to work on the racecraft throughout the group.

Some of the videos posted after March show drivers still racing after passing three yellow stations. Most of the field was so engulfed in their own red mist that they were still racing on the approach to the third station. Including many series veterans. The most appalling thing about that is that the entire field passed the car that caused the yellow on the previous lap. Everyone should have been expecting a yellow in Rattlesnake. 1:30 is not enough time for a tow.

The fact that most of the field failed to display that critical level of situational awareness indicates that this is the first area we need to work on.

I volunteer to lead a lunchtime (or dinnertime) discussion on situational awareness.

Please let me know if you are interested.
    Chris Marvel

RP's Guinea Pig
    AI #91
    CMC2 #82
    Anything else you hand me the keys to...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ginsberg

We've become "headliners", if you will, because we like to share our race videos....with the nature of the 'net, they get around. Fast.
    Seen ANY headlines lately? Destruction and Mayhem rule ...

Clearly, we don't want the outward perception that we are a bunch of rebels, and our run group is like playing ping-pong with V8's. Precisely why there is a discipline process.
    When I touched you in Big Bend, I thought I was gonna get my pee-pee severly whacked. If the discipline I was handed is indicative of discipline handed out, then there is no deterent.

When I saw what Richard Dickey did and how you guys handled it, that was what swayed me to come racing with you guys. That seems like a long time ago ...

If I were a newb looking at this series ... I'd probably still be running DEs ...

Video cameras are a valuable resource, used for different reasons. The primary reason I have one is to help figure out if I've made a mistake, running the wrong line, etc. If there is an incident, it helps clarify what happened.
    Stick to that story ...

It's part of growing pains. We need to keep a level head, and not make wild decisions one way, or the other.
    Growing pains was last year ... it should be full blown peer pressure and mutual respect by this point in time.

The problem seems to be getting worse.

Re: Series Driving

Quote Originally Posted by cmarvel
    The most appalling thing about that is that the entire field passed the car that caused the yellow on the previous lap. Everyone should have been expecting a yellow in Rattlesnake. 1:30 is not enough time for a tow.

The fact that most of the field failed to display that critical level of situational awareness indicates that this is the first area we need to work on.
    Amen, brudda ...

The problem seems to be, again, the lack of discipline, both personal and from authority. Some in this group have a "win at ANY cost" attitude. And it clouds good sound judgement.

And turning a blind eye to poor judgement is in of itself a crime.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Funniest thing about this entire line of thinking is that 3 weeks ago I was a raging lunatic smartass rookie......amazing what 3 weeks of thinking will do!

<---just A.F.R......
    Ah, fugg it.