Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OEM Ford Hub Grease Issues

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty
    Is there a repacking thread anywhere showing the step-by-step?
    I don't recall ever seeing one. To start the disassembly, you have to pull the inner race. I usually do this by wedging the hub on the end of the spindle snout and pulling. It's kind of a pain to do and I'm not pulling my car apart to show you.

To solve this, I made a tool today that grabs the inside of the inner race and allows me to pull it out without using a spindle. It's just a simple split wedge thing like the handle bar attachment on some bicycles. I have to say, it works great and makes it so much easier. I can also pull apart spare hubs to repack them without disassembling the car. Very cool.

Anyway, once you get the inner race out, it's easy to push the outer race out. Then you can carefully wedge the grease seal out the back side. This will free one of the bearing cages. The other cage requires you to pop the balls out of it for it to come out. At that point, you just clean the stuff up and reassemble. Standard stuff applies like paying attention to which direction the bearing cages are facing when you pull it apart. None of it's hard.

Let me know if you have any questions. I can help you do it some time over the first race weekend if you would like.

Richard P.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Richard,
    If you will bring your new "doo-dad" to the track, I'd like to repack my spare set of hubs (I think I still have 'em). Otherwise, I may buy a new set of hubs to repack to learn.

NASA lets you make cool toys... I'm waiting to see the "unlicensed nuclear particle accelerator" that will come out next from the skunk works.

Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...