Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing AI/CMC numbers

Senior Member Grass-Passer oz98cobra's Avatar

Growing AI/CMC numbers

This has been touched on it a couple different threads I read recently, but it didn't seem appropriate to go off on a tangent in either of them, hence the new post ...

This is a goal for this year, as it was previously, and I noticed that in Todd's meeting notes he mentioned doing something to attract Mustang and GM clubs to the events - and Glenn mentioned that there are only so many drag racers you can convert ...

Car clubs are not the answer IMO - many have tried and have put in a big effort, for very little return, myself included. You may be lucky to find someone once in a blue moon, but I really don't see it as a good recruiting ground. The reason is simple and that is folks in car clubs already have a strong interest in other areas of the automotive hobby - typically they like to show their car and/or enjoy the social events - trying to interest them in road racing is doubly hard because you are really asking them to switch one car hobby that they are already very much involved in for another.

So the places to recruit potential racers are from the open track ranks, other forms of racing such as the dirt track community, and from those sports car enthusiasts/race car fans who have an interest in fast cars and racing, but are not already involved in the car club scene.

How do we reach these people? Targeted advertising!
    - Open trackers can be reached by placing posters and flyers advertising NASA racing at the tracks so that open trackers from different DE orgs can find out about us. More might be done to promote us in this area by a direct presence and/or liason with other DE orgs, either by NASA TX or series directors if necessary?

- Same approach could be used for the dirt track community - there a literally hundreds of racers doing this around TX every weekend, but how many of them know that NASA even exists, let alone much about it? I'm sure if we could get the message across to the community we would attract more to the fold? To me, this should be our biggest recruiting ground. Perhaps some of our ex-dirt track guys like Boudy or James would have good input here?

- To attract people from the general public, we have to advertise in the mainstream media - this doesn't have to be expensive - something like a simple entry in the events section in the big city newspapers would help (like the Dallas Morning News "Guide") - in a city this big where there are hundreds of thousands of race fans who only get to go watch the races with their families twice a year, you can't tell me that you wouldn't get tens, perhaps hundreds of them who would bring their families out and watch grass roots American V8 racing for a fraction of what it costs for a NASCAR weekend! And how many of them could see what a blast we have, and talk to us and find out that they too could do this without having to mortage their children? Americans love to get out with their families on the weekends, but we need to tell these folks that our events are on, or they will just end up back at the zoo again!

Anyway, these are my thoughts - I'm sure there are plenty of other opinions out there?
    Daron
    AI75 DownUnder Racing

Maybe we can make a concerted group effort to get back what we have lost by resolving the issues that have caused us to possibly lose folks.

I'd like to see AG, LT, JB, and others back at the track with us. We're not so far apart that we can't make things right are we? That would be a big jump in car count. And it would be a lot more fun IMHO. Right the ship, get back on a smooth course, and go back to having fun - all of us together.

I know, I'm a hypocrite as I've done more than my share to disrupt the group and the fun. I want to change that.

Then we may even attract potential racers?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i like those thoughts Daron. so do we put up a plywood sign on the back straight wall, or do we take out ads in those weekly/monthly dirt track news mags?
    i mentioned to Jay and Shannon last year about getting an add in each of the major cities in TX (DFW, Houston, A/SA) and put it in the comming events section and sports section.
    target Houston in Dec/Jan, DFW in Jan/Feb, A/SA close to TWS weekend, so on and so forth.
    i still think we need to post up on our favorite local car forums. i post about 2 times a month durring the season on a few F-body forums. there are always new people who have a chance to be saved before they get sucked in. there are also plenty of those who grow tired of the money pit drag racing can be. some can be converted. those are cheep venues to recruit. it only cost you and me time.

great topic. lets see where this goes and get it to NASA TX for input from the AI/CMC crew.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    Good golly, what a bunch of magpies!
    Babbling on like a bunch of hens over the back fence.
    Because my name keeps coming up on this subject, I will respond.

I'm not running for points in the Tx region. Period, get over it.
    I'm not disgruntled or boycotting management.
    I will be preparing (saving money) for Mid Ohio.
    Plus I wanna run a track or 2 that I've always dreamed of running on.

A little variety.
    Passing on the Torch.

jb

Quote Originally Posted by jeffburch
    Good golly, what a bunch of magpies!
    Babbling on like a bunch of hens over the back fence.
    Because my name keeps coming up on this subject, I will respond.

I'm not running for points in the Tx region. Period, get over it.
    I'm not disgruntled or boycotting management.
    I will be preparing (saving money) for Mid Ohio.
    Plus I wanna run a track or 2 that I've always dreamed of running on.

A little variety.
    Passing on the Torch.

jb
    Thanks for clearing it up JB! I'll see you at the track sometime soon then! 8)

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Two thoughts....

1) Burch...if there's one event you need to come to, it's next weekend to receive your Championship trophy and rightful ceremony. (period) If no-one picks you up on the side of the road (with your stick and bandana bag) then jump in a damn car and git down here to hang wit the boyz.

2) Each and every one of us are agents of Texas AI/CMC. So the responsibility doesn't lie on just NASA TX or the Series Directors. If you're going to an event and think there might be some interest in OUR series, then contact NASA Texas and see about some paraphanelia.

Maybe NASA could post "finder's prize" like NetFlix...bring in 3 racers and get your next entry fee comp'd! :idea:

-=- T
    American Iron Series - National Director

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Covini
    Two thoughts....

2) Each and every one of us are agents of Texas AI/CMC. So the responsibility doesn't lie on just NASA TX or the Series Directors. If you're going to an event and think there might be some interest in OUR series, then contact NASA Texas and see about some paraphanelia.

-=- T
    Todd, thanks for leaving the door open but WE are not agents of NASA TX...I believe that is outside our "circle of influence" to use your words. WE are agents of AI/CMC and that is it. If you are asking us as racers to fund advertising for NASA TX, get real. I already invested HUGE amounts of money to build a car and race each weekend that I can make it. Don't for ONE MINUTE ask me to pay for advertising or make extra effort beyond putting my car on track and keeping it there.

Two things need to happen REALLY FUCKING QUICK!!! 1. Find someone who actually gives a shit and will take over NASA TX.... 2. Once that is done, start running it like a professional organization and as a business to make money.

Daron, you have a great point about targeting HPDE regulars but I think you know darn good and well that the only HPDE group in TX that packs people in is Driver's Edge and we all know there is plenty of bad blood between Rick and Jay/Shannon. Besides, if Rick converts his customers to racers....he loses revenue.

So, welcome to another shit sandwich...anyone got any musturd?! :?
    Ah, fugg it.

Ummmm....go back and read my quote that you quoted.

"We are all agents of Texas AI/CMC."

Much like Daron & you have great ideas and know a lot of people, my point was to just network. Not asking anyone to come out of pocket on NASA's behalf. Not asking anyone to go out of their way. If everyone were to bring in 2 friends there really isn't anything NASA TX needs to do. Don't feel obligated...it was just a suggestion and an open door.

This is OUR series...NASA is just providing the sandbox for us to play in. My point was just that NASA has brochures, banners and stuff they can provide you if you're heading out to an event anyway. (car shows, swap meets, whatever...)

Sheesh...bite my head off. Wish you could be there next weekend (so I could slap you on the back of the head) LOL :lol: :wink: :roll:

-=- T

Senior Member Grass-Passer oz98cobra's Avatar
    actually Matt, while DriversEdge is usually a sell out each time, they are definitely not the only game in town - Apex, PCA, BMWCCA, Texas Driver Experience, TWSMSC, SVTOA, SCMC, and a few other all hold events with plenty of entrants.

You'll notice I suggested that NASA TX place flyers and or posters at the tracks - this method involves no direct interaction between NASA TX and the DE orgs. And it does work - Apex has flyers at MSR Cresson, and they are responsible for attracting a good percentage of their entrants.

Todd, Matt does have a point (although he could of made it a little less poignantly?) - it just is not going to happen to expect racers to distribute flyers or other material at DE events (in my case I instruct for most of these orgs and it would be considered a conflict of interest by most of them if I did such a thing) - NASA TX needs to approach all the TX tracks and seek permission to display marketing materials on a permanent basis. Racers may be able help out once the initial step is taken - I'm sure there would be racers who live near or frequent their local tracks who could help restock the flyers, etc.

Should we consider doing an AI/CMC flyer to compliment the NASA TX one? Who'd pay? NASA TX or from our AI/CMC group funds?
    Daron
    AI75 DownUnder Racing

Great stuff, Daron.

If it's a flyer for Texas AI/CMC...then we should do & pay.
    If it's a flyer for NASA Texas...then they should do & pay.

This really was my point...it's our series. What do we want to do?

I wouldn't suggest posting stuff at other people's opentrack events, though. That's just not cool.

However, if someone is really interested in AI/CMC and they know you are a racer, there's nothing wrong with a little networking and reaching into the trunk of your car to give them an AI/CMC flyer or info sheet.

"We are all agents of AI/CMC."

If someone wants to take the lead in designing something...or better yet, put together a "Design Challenge" where we all vote on our favorite flyer....have at it!!! You guys are empowered!

I just ask that we run stuff thru here or a series director so we all know what's going out there and there aren't any conflicts or issues.

Thanks for the brainstorm guys...

-=- Todd