Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious discussion regarding contact

CMC17

Serious discussion regarding contact

Ok, I'm going to put this all out in the open and tell the group exactly how I feel and what going through my mind. If you don't care, stop reading now and good luck to you.

I'm going to draw a line in the sand. With the all of the talk in other regions regarding the crash and smash NASA group here in Texas, I'm getting pissed off more and more about it. Sure the other regions have their share of offs and contact, but it seems as though the focus is on Texas and we need to do something about it. NOW!

If there is any contact this next event other than maybe related to mechanical issues (tire blowouts/blown motors..etc) which caused problems and a racing incident, then I will probably quit this series. We are not professional race car drivers no matter what our license tells us. I'm probably one of the biggest offenders when it comes to wanting to win, but have realized that a misspelled piece of lucite is not worth what's important in my life.

The name of the game is to have fun and enjoy the competition. It's not ok to rub. It's not ok bump. It is ok to get close and have a mutual respect for the others and their space.

Personally, I think it comes down to risk vs. reward then. Any and all contact is bad. Throw in why the driver did what they did with the risk and reward equation and it's clear who is on a different level of "control".

We need everyone to be on or above par out on-track.

Penalties must be stiffer and there was an idea shared with me that the veterans should get the stiffest penalty thown at them for contact. I agree, we should know better and set the example for the rookies!

Take this rant for what it's worth. You have been warned.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Eric, I will follow your lead ... like most everyone else does on track. :P

Gentlemen, this has GOT to stop.

If your car sucks, get the F out of the way. If your car breaks, get it off the track. If you suck, find hot pit and a bottle of water.

Conversely, if you see a car that sucks, a broken car or a driver not up to snuff, give a little room.

There will be other races ...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    Eric,

Please look me up in the Cresson 1st thing.
    We've got to talk.

Thx,

jb

Agreed, I was a BIG offender last event and while I deeply regret hitting Nick I can't make excuses: 100% my fault and I am taking mental steps to prevent it from happening again.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i've said this before and i'll post it here for all to see.
    you have to ask yourself two questions, not just one, when it comes to attemping a pass.
    1st - can i get there (possition)?
    2nd - what am i gonna do when i get it (position)?

if your getting position only in an attempt to play "chicken" w/ the other driver, you shouldnt be there and shouldnt have put yourself there.

i personnaly am very disapointed w/ the level/lack of paitients to "find a better time/place" for a pass. i'm also surprised @ how many of those of us have no idea what "drive it off" means. loosing control and re-entering the track backwards/sideways is by far the most upsetting thing i see. makes me think some didnt spend enough time in HPDE enviroments prior to w-2-w racing. thats the type of thing other drivers cant predict and will cause a major accident.
    i've been quiet for most of this year, i'm now going back to doing that.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Glenn, first of all, I am NOT attacking...this is the mature adding a point voice....

to further your point about passing someone and it's a good point, the car being OVERTAKEN must have the same mentality. I will accept the thought of "how can I let this guy by without losing more positions..." But, not watching the mirror is just as bad as pushing a bad situation.

I like the fact that others seem to have taken a step back and are looking at this from someone else's position. This is a positive thought process and if we are all willing to step up and be responsible, refine our practices of on track conduct, we WILL be moving forward.

This is all a good discussion and the SHOCK of serious statements can be harsh, but sometimes necessary. I like the fact that Varner is stepping up as a veteran and hopes to set and strong example. This kind of thinking will be what keeps this group together. Eric, just don't do what I ALMOST did and give up....race to your comfort level and no further....that's my game for now.

See Ya'll in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70
    i've said this before and i'll post it here for all to see.
    you have to ask yourself two questions, not just one, when it comes to attemping a pass.
    1st - can i get there (possition)?
    2nd - what am i gonna do when i get it (position)?

if your getting position only in an attempt to play "chicken" w/ the other driver, you shouldnt be there and shouldnt have put yourself there.

i personnaly am very disapointed w/ the level/lack of paitients to "find a better time/place" for a pass. i'm also surprised @ how many of those of us have no idea what "drive it off" means. loosing control and re-entering the track backwards/sideways is by far the most upsetting thing i see. makes me think some didnt spend enough time in HPDE enviroments prior to w-2-w racing. thats the type of thing other drivers cant predict and will cause a major accident.
    i've been quiet for most of this year, i'm now going back to doing that.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer oz98cobra's Avatar
    As newbie who had their baptism of fire at an event with no less than 8 contact incidents, I'm happy to see this conversation - and hopefully it will translate into the right attitude on the track.

But we also have to be carefull not to go from one extreme to the other - this is motor racing people, and some car to car contact is inevitable when you have 30 cars running around a race track only feet or inches away from each other. If you truly do not want to expect any contact, then go back to HPDE (and even that is no guarantee contact won't happen - it has and does!)

Having the right attitude and temperement is what we need to achieve, but we have to be carefull we don't create an enviroment whereby the next person to be involved in any kind of contact is treated like a leper who let the team down. We can and need to strive for zero contact, but the reality is that there is going to be some no matter how carefull, aware, and skilled we are - that is motor racing and it happens at all levels from kids go karting to mega dollar pro racing and everywhere in between.

To me, there is a big difference between a minor racing incident like side-to-side, and contact caused by recklessness, over exuberance, impatience, poor judgement, or driving beyond your skill level or comfort zone. We should expect the odd minor racing incident, perhaps as often as once or twice an event - thats racing folks - it's the other stuff we have to stop, and I hope this is what Eric is trying to achieve?
    Daron
    AI75 DownUnder Racing

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar

contact

Bad judgement looks like this or even worse, an injury. It has taken a long time for me to recover just fom my incident over a year ago.

It's for fun, it's for fun, it's for fun.

Crashes, additional repair bills and most of all injuries are not worth the gain in this series.

It reallty isn't PRO racing as the sanctioning body name implies.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Rookie chris-CMC#35's Avatar
    wise words from many racers: "you don't win the race in the first turn." let's start with some patience there; it might spread through the rest of the track/race.

-chris

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

Re: contact

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Liebbe
    It reallty isn't PRO racing as the sanctioning body name implies.
    oooh! Rob, that is a sensitive one for sure. That is how it's being billed and sold to the general public. I think we should all step up and hold ourselves to that level.... If it isn't PRO racing, what is it? That CCR isn't as verbose as it is for nothing!!! :lol: should I write in "semi-" in front of the word PRO RACING on my required four NASA stickers?!!!

Can someone please find way to put the :stickpoke: smily on this board?!!!

Thanks,
    Ah, fugg it.