Thread: Exxon Mobil sets annual profit record

CMC17

Exxon Mobil sets annual profit record

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/01/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Exxon Mobil sets annual profit record
    No. 1 oil company posts mark despite lower fourth-quarter income.
    February 1 2007: 9:07 AM EST

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Exxon Mobil Corp. posted the largest annual profit in U.S. history Thursday, even though fourth-quarter earnings fell on lower natural gas prices and shrinking gasoline margins.

For the year, Exxon Mobil earned $39.5 billion, up from its previous record $36.1 billion in 2005.

Net income in the fourth quarter slipped to $10.25 billion, or $1.76 a share, from $10.71 billion, or $1.71 a share, a year earlier.

Excluding one-time items, Exxon Mobil (Charts), the world's largest publicly traded company, earned $1.69 a share. The average earnings forecast of analysts polled by Reuters Estimates was $1.51 a share.

Revenue in the quarter fell 9.4 percent to $90.03 billion.

Earnings from exploration and production activities were $6.22 billion, down $818 million from a year earlier due to the natural gas price drop and decreased volumes driven by lower demand in Europe.

Earnings from refining and marketing operations totaled $1.86 billion, down $430 million due to lower margins.

Oil prices in the fourth quarter dropped from the record levels hit in July but were still robust, hovering around $60 a barrel - roughly in line with year-earlier levels.

Natural gas prices, on the other hand, were sharply lower than in 2005. According to Reuters data, the average U.S. natural gas price was about $6.61 per million British thermal unit in the fourth quarter, down from $12.77 a year earlier.

Since the end of the 2006 third quarter, Exxon Mobil shares are up 10.4 percent, outperforming the Chicago Board Options Exchange's oil index, which has risen 8.8 percent.

Dang.. and I though gas was high due to other reasons. :shock:

Administrator Site Admin
    I suppose they have "us" to thank for that.......

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    That explains Al moving to Texas ...

Senior Member Site AdminGrass-Passer cjlmlml's Avatar

Ex

How many Darfurians had to die for Exxon to hit those numbers?
    AI # 12

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    Great!
    Hopefully burning fossil fuels for my entertainment
    will continue through out my (useful) life span.

Someday society may get a red-ass for big oil like it did for big tobacco.
    Dunno.
    Or, big media (FNC). ops:

jb

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    WooHoo!!! It's been a good year....but I hate to tell you guys that the U.S. gasoline sales had very little to do with it. It's primarily Wall Street's influence on what they believe a barrel of crude oil should cost and the Company's exploration finds, proven reserves and assets that aren't even here in the States.

-=- T
    American Iron Series - National Director