Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rules?

Senior Member Site AdminGrass-Passer cjlmlml's Avatar

Rules?

I've designed as part of my placement with a multi-arts organisation working with a community within the public housing sector.

The idea is that it will will occur with tenants in the elevators and lobbies of the estate and collect conversations, insights, thoughts and day to day stories of arrivals and departures. It is designed to be both an outlet for addressing concerns around safety and as a creative forum for communication. It is all about re-establishing a sense of ownership over the public spaces of the estate. Safety is built on creating networks within communities. By encouraging conversation and communication between residents in this space, trust and familiarity grows.

The challenge for me now is to design a process which will be both a positive and fun experience for the tenants, but one which is as non-intrusive as possible. I am aware that some are a little wary of people coming in to their spaces, and ways to counter this are building relationships with the community before hand, which I have done over a number of weeks, but for those who I haven't met (and there are hundreds!), I need to let them know about the project - what it's about, why they might be interested in contributing, and how it will work.

I am also completely aware of the Heisenberg Principle (quantum physics guy I think) that simply observing something (especially with a camera and in the confined space of an elevator!) changes the nature of what is being observed. At this stage I am seeking out methods with which I can counter this potential obstacle. The appointing of a 'buddy' (a tenant) to act as a buffer may be a way of doing this with the additional benefit of creating a role of responsibility for the nominated tenant in that position.

The whole process of community arts is a new world to me and has been very much a learning curve for me as much as for the tenants who have been involved in previous arts activities on the estate. It is interesting that it has taken me two and a half months to devise this project after spending time at the estate, talking to tenants, talking to other stakeholders and reflecting on the information, stories and experiences I've collected over that time. Now that I can finally answer the 'what' and the 'why' with this project. I now have the question of 'how'.
    AI # 12

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    :shock:

Right on bruthah, Preach it....................... 8)

CMC17
    Taking nominations for a "buddy" buffer? Or, is this strictly an appointed position? 8)

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Free cookies.

Sounds like Chris has been hitting the "special brownies" again.

CMC17
    Found part of the new community.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar

Re: Rules?

Quote Originally Posted by cjlmlml
    I've designed as part of my placement with a multi-arts organisation working with a community within the public housing sector.

The idea is that it will will occur with tenants in the elevators and lobbies of the estate and collect conversations, insights, thoughts and day to day stories of arrivals and departures. It is designed to be both an outlet for addressing concerns around safety and as a creative forum for communication. It is all about re-establishing a sense of ownership over the public spaces of the estate. Safety is built on creating networks within communities. By encouraging conversation and communication between residents in this space, trust and familiarity grows.

The challenge for me now is to design a process which will be both a positive and fun experience for the tenants, but one which is as non-intrusive as possible. I am aware that some are a little wary of people coming in to their spaces, and ways to counter this are building relationships with the community before hand, which I have done over a number of weeks, but for those who I haven't met (and there are hundreds!), I need to let them know about the project - what it's about, why they might be interested in contributing, and how it will work.

I am also completely aware of the Heisenberg Principle (quantum physics guy I think) that simply observing something (especially with a camera and in the confined space of an elevator!) changes the nature of what is being observed. At this stage I am seeking out methods with which I can counter this potential obstacle. The appointing of a 'buddy' (a tenant) to act as a buffer may be a way of doing this with the additional benefit of creating a role of responsibility for the nominated tenant in that position.

The whole process of community arts is a new world to me and has been very much a learning curve for me as much as for the tenants who have been involved in previous arts activities on the estate. It is interesting that it has taken me two and a half months to devise this project after spending time at the estate, talking to tenants, talking to other stakeholders and reflecting on the information, stories and experiences I've collected over that time. Now that I can finally answer the 'what' and the 'why' with this project. I now have the question of 'how'.
    Let me see if I understand ...

You are wanting to shoot "up-skirt" video of elevator patrons and start a new website. You want a partner to blame when you get caught.

Is that accurate?

"Elevator Confessions"
    by Up-Skirt/Down-Shirt Productions, directed by CJL, inspired by MW

also by CJL, coming soon -

"Lobby and Lounge Lizards - a guide to avoiding undesireables in public spaces".

CJL - Master of Disguise:

The Doorman

The Conceirge

The Valet Dude

The Groundskeeper

The Maid

The Bartender

The Maintenance Man