Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CMC-2 brake update

CMC-2 brake update

On the CMC site are a couple of posts regarding big news for CMC-2 drivers: allowing much bigger rotors and (more importantly) 4 piston calipers. Glenn here will answer all your questions! haha

Seriously, I think that is a great step forward for those cars to help reduce the cost of keeping a car on the track. Yes, it can be a big cost up front, but its an investment that, given the right choices, will pay off dividends in reduced repair cost, time, and lost track time.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    Frankly, you guys are heading down a very dangerous path. CMC is looking more and more like A-Sedan with each one of these rule changes...especially when there is a stock alternative available. You are totally outside of the original "spirit and intent" of CMC....stock based racing.

The alarm going off in my head keep saying the same thing as last year...."Welcome to A-$edan....welcome to A-$edan....."

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Out of curiosty, how many CMC drivers (Ford and GM) have missed track time due to caliper problems? I personally have been open tracking the same PBR calipers for the last 10 years with only one rebuild (it was not because of a failure). I have spares but if I had to I could get another one at the parts store.
    What was your takeaway?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSharp
    Out of curiosty, how many CMC drivers (Ford and GM) have missed track time due to caliper problems? I personally have been open tracking the same PBR calipers for the last 10 years with only one rebuild (it was not because of a failure). I have spares but if I had to I could get another one at the parts store.
    I have ... The caliper appeared to be fine, but the pad was in the metal at the top and had 1/2 a pad at the base.

Installed 2 reman calipers ($35 ea) I got from Oreilly's in March 2006 and they tapered a $250 set of Carbotech pads at Hallett.

I was having all kinds of issues with pad knock back, making me pump the pedal on the straights to make sure I had brakes to use.

I was going through pads faster than tires.

The stock, 98+ caliper is grossly weak across the backbone of caliper.

Patterson was changing calipers after each race in his T2 car.

Congrats on having a base which you can rely on. It must give you a lot of peace of mind.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    None here.
    Baer kit.
    jb

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx
    I have ... The caliper appeared to be fine, but the pad was in the metal at the top and had 1/2 a pad at the base.

Installed 2 reman calipers ($35 ea) I got from Oreilly's in March 2006 and they tapered a $250 set of Carbotech pads at Hallett.

I was having all kinds of issues with pad knock back, making me pump the pedal on the straights to make sure I had brakes to use.

You appear to be about the only one in TX having an issue. Glenn has been very clear that he's never had a problem with his calipers.

That information isn't CMC relevant - a T2 car runs more HP/TQ, is significantly heavier and they aren't allowed to run any brake cooling ducts.

Congrats on having a base which you can rely on. It must give you a lot of peace of mind.
    Let's not start down that road again - each chassis has it's benefits/achilles heel.

Quote Originally Posted by "mitchntx
    Thanks, I sleep quite well at night.
    What was your takeaway?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ginsberg
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx

You appear to be about the only one in TX having an issue. Glenn has been very clear that he's never had a problem with his calipers.

That information isn't CMC relevant - a T2 car runs more HP/TQ, is significantly heavier and they aren't allowed to run any brake cooling ducts.

Let's not start down that road again - each chassis has it's benefits/achilles heel.
    Glenn never uses the brakes. See mylaps.com for validation of that fact.

The benefit/achilles heel fact seems to get lost on occasion, like when discussing wheels.

And the brake rule Al referenced was for CMC-2, not CMC. If you read the rules. CMC-2 has increased power and weight levels, very similar to T2.

Seems to me the cost effective way to fix it would be to allow modifications to allow the fitment of 2 pistons PBR or C5 calipers for the Gen IV cars. There are some very fast AI cars still using the PBR calipers.

And what about wheels? There are few 17 inch wheels and even fewer 16 inch wheels that will clear 4 piston calipers.
    What was your takeaway?

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSharp
    Seems to me the cost effective way to fix it would be to allow modifications to allow the fitment of 2 pistons PBR or C5 calipers for the Gen IV cars....
    The C5 calipers are allowed in CMC and CMC-2.

a. All GM vehicles may use stock 98+ Camaro/Firebird 44mm dual piston calipers or C5 43mm dual piston calipers

but I'll also add I've never had noticable knock back, pad taper, etc and I've been using the same pair of used (junk yard sourced) LS1 f-body calipers on my car since early '05. until I need new calipers I do not plan on upgrading to the C5 units.
    Dust Collector