Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rule of the Day - Fuel Cell

Quote Originally Posted by King Matt
    Sorry, just had to chime in on this one. SCCA doesn't have a five-year rule on fuel cells, and probably won't any time soon since half the cars who race with them are formula cars that require $1000+ custom cell bladders. But most of them are running leaded race gas that is more stable than pump gas and the cells really don't deteriote if they are properly maintained. My new Formula Vee has a 12 year old cell that looks brand new. I would be pissed if I had to spend over $750 to replace it just because of a date stamped on it.
    Good to know, thx.
    2004 Camaro Mustang Challenge Champion
    2005 Camaro Mustang Challenge Champion

Junior Member Rookie
    This rule is going to keep me out for awhile. :twisted: Not a good way to get new drivers if you ask me.I hope to make Hallett
    Scotty
    90 LX Mustang #73 CMC I hope

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Matt
    Sorry, just had to chime in on this one. SCCA doesn't have a five-year rule on fuel cells, and probably won't any time soon since half the cars who race with them are formula cars that require $1000+ custom cell bladders. But most of them are running leaded race gas that is more stable than pump gas and the cells really don't deteriote if they are properly maintained. My new Formula Vee has a 12 year old cell that looks brand new. I would be pissed if I had to spend over $750 to replace it just because of a date stamped on it.

The fuel cell issue is a sticky one. Replacing perfectly good parts because of a silly date is a huge waste. We’re already doing that with other, less expensive, safety equipment.

On the other hand, unchecked fuel cells do have the potential to be very dangerous. Fuel cells are supposed to be impervious to “normal” pump gas. The reality is that you never really have a clue what is in the stuff you put in your tank. It can vary by season and the government/fuel companies are always messing with new stuff to make it “better.”

There was an issue a couple of years ago in a professional race series where the fuel was eating the cells away in a matter of months, not years. That means that even a five year old unchecked bladder has a real possibility of being dangerous.

Matt, I’m glad your 12 year old cell looks great and that you don’t have to replace it. Actually, I’m mostly glad that you bothered to check it. Here are some pictures of a 13 year old cell that someone pulled out when they found their car peeing on the ground.

These pictures scare me. I’ve included a picture of what one looks like new for reference.

Richard P.