Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: As the Toyo Turns - a new made for TV drama.......

Quote Originally Posted by AI#97
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx

The chances of the R888 being the spec tire after all this negative publicity is highly unlikely.
    I disagree Mitch....those at the TOP of NASA don't believe there is a problem. Until they are swamped with complaints about the tire or the cost to reconfigure our cars to run it successfully, backed up with REAL data showing them to be truly inferior, they aren't going to take action. I have tried but they think I am a no talent wack job from Texas that just likes to bitch... :roll:

So far, JWL has told me I need to go softer on the springs to make the tire work. Well, how the hell do you do that on an Aero car that would then be slammed into the pavement? I suppose you could raise ride height but now I need badass shocks/struts to control the excessive wheel travel and weight transfer and that would make it worse on what is effectively a street tire.

From what I have seen with my own eyes and been given by the powers that be, They are basing all of their "data" on cars running smaller tires (14" and 15" wheels). And seeing those cars/tires after running them, we are NOT getting the same results on the 17" tires. It's almost as if there are two different carcasses and two different compounds for the respective sizes.

For what it is worth- I have seen the need to soften setups for the R888, I dont think that Bad-Ass shocks are necessary yet, just different valving in what you have. You just have to know a creative shock builder :wink:
    AJ Petersen
    Shock Technician
    STACK Technical Agent

Performance Speed Tech
    817-512-4780
    Keeping You On Track!
    www.performancespeedtech.com

Senior Member Grass-Passer Hood's Avatar
    Gary Hood
    CMC #20
    OH WOW! Racing

My 4th gen shock package will be available this month! I will launch it on our web when available.

http://www.performancespeedtech.com/...sp?Category=80
    AJ Petersen
    Shock Technician
    STACK Technical Agent

Performance Speed Tech
    817-512-4780
    Keeping You On Track!
    www.performancespeedtech.com

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    From a performance standpoint, you very well cuold be right, Matt. And I still think the triple 8 has a lot of potential. Just not at where have all found ourselves chassis-wise with the RA1.

But from a marketing and a trustworthiness standpoint, Toyo has a long row to hoe to win back the trust we all had in their products.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    From a performance standpoint, you very well cuold be right, Matt. And I still think the triple 8 has a lot of potential. Just not at where have all found ourselves chassis-wise with the RA1.

But from a marketing and a trustworthiness standpoint, Toyo has a long row to hoe to win back the trust we all had in their products.
    yeah, but I think the only way to make the 888 successful in AI/CMC, you are going to have to get the cars down to 2500lbs, not practical. The ONLY cars in NASA that have been able to match their previous lap times with minor changes all weigh less than 2500lbs with driver. Our V8's with 3000+ lbs behind them are overheating these tires and hence why we can't get the performance out of them. Smooth driving and no sliding is the key. We can do that in AI but I think CMC is going to be an entirely different animal. I also don't see myself spending $5 to 10k to get my weight down to 2700lbs either just to make this tire work for us as is.

Also, looking at the rolling contact patch of a 235/15 on a miata, and a 255/275 on a heavy mustang and there is only 3/4" difference in width....if that. Try putting another 600 to 800lbs on that 3/4" with twice/thrice the power at the wheels and you see the reason for the heat!!!
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Excellent points and justifiable assumptions. But until someone tries it, its all speculation a this point.

BUt again, your points about weight and driving style are valid. This tire will not work sliding big ole heavy V8s.

We very well might see a revised version of the R888. The issue I see with that is how will I know which R888 is R1 and which is R2.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    There is plenty of debate on whether the performance of the 888 can reach the RA1 wik chassis changes, but to me it seems everyone involved agrees that the 888's won't last as long as the RA1s.

That said, I think the 888's are here to stay for next year.

At a higher initial cost and the fact that we will have to replace them more often, it sure won't be hurting TOYO's pocketbook in this "entry-level budget" racing series.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    We very well might see a revised version of the R888. The issue I see with that is how will I know which R888 is R1 and which is R2.
    Don't buy any for two years!
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The chances of the R888 being the spec tire after all this negative publicity is highly unlikely.

I agree. If anyone thinks that NASA made this decision just to help out the guys with left over RA1's please share what your smokin. I've read about Spec Miata guys that said they were having to shave the 888 to 1/16" (2/32nds for you fraction challenged) to make them fast and then they were going through more than one set in a weekend of racing. My bet is lack of longevity is what is causing this. I do believe NASA would try and help us not to have to buy tires every race weekend.

Also I'm guessing the 888 made for CMC is not the same tire that W/C cars are running.
    JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    My 2 sets (8 tires) are all the GG compound.
    Supposedly there are 2 others that are softer.
    Dunno.
    Will they buy them back or swap me for something better?
    Doubt it.
    jb