Page 86 of 308 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast

Thread: So, what did you do today?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlingle
    Ouch :shock: Sounds painful. Is the condition allergy related?
    100% allergy related. Mine were hyper sensitive, basically freaking out over anything, keeping me plugged up all the time.
    I'm this way from Oct to March each year. Is this something I should consider?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70
    I'm this way from Oct to March each year. Is this something I should consider?
    Glenn,
    If steroid nasal sprays (Nasonex, Veramist, Patanase, Flonase) don't "help" any, but you can kick the shit out of it with Afrin, then YES, you could benefit from it.

My issue was I slowly became immune to all the steroid sprays. Tried each one of the above. They would work for a while and then stop working. Once I couldn't get any relief from any of them we had the "it's time for surgery" talk.

Here's the doc's info:

Roger Skiles
    Stonebriarent.com
    (469)633-9595

Surgery isn't too bad... Feel like crap the day of and then half the next day. Back to work two days later. Stints in your nose for a week and a half bugs the crap out of you, but doesn't hurt. You'll have "dry nose" for three months afterwards so you will need to keep saline spray close by (or get nose bleeds).

My .02
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    If steroid nasal sprays (Nasonex, Veramist, Patanase, Flonase) don't "help" any, but you can kick the shit out of it with Afrin, then YES, you could benefit from it.
    I am not ready for any kind of surgery... but I am an Afrin every night before bed person. If not.. I can't breath or sleep.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay
    I am not ready for any kind of surgery... but I am an Afrin every night before bed person. If not.. I can't breath or sleep.
    Me too but I use two or three times a day and have for twenty years. I have some in the M/H, my truck, my desk and at home. I have a deviated septum (sp) on the left side and when the air gets full (ike now) I'm in trouble.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt
    Me too but I use two or three times a day and have for twenty years. I have some in the M/H, my truck, my desk and at home. I have a deviated septum (sp) on the left side and when the air gets full (ike now) I'm in trouble.
    Guys, unfortunately using Afrin daily for 2+ years is what ultimately put me in my current position. If you abuse Afrin (more than 3 days in a row), you risk rebound

Rebound Congestion & Rhinitis Medicamentosa

Rhinitis Medicamentosa (nasal spray addiction as a result of rebound congestion) is caused by the prolonged use of Afrin and other over-the-counter decongestant nasal sprays. The active ingredient in these sprays is a topical vasoconstrictor that temporarily reduces the size of the nasal turbinates, opens the nasal airway and provides decongestant relief from the rebound congestion.

When the decongestants are used for more than 3 consecutive days, it provokes a condition known as rebound congestion

Rebound congestion is the result of abnormal swelling and enlargement (hypertrophy) of the nasal mucosa, which blocks the nasal airway completely and causes extreme discomfort. This rebound congestion is temporarily relieved once again by the administration of another dose of Afrin or other nasal spray.

As soon as the temporary effect of the last dose of spray wears off, the swollen nasal mucosa again block the airway and another dose of spray is required to provide relief. The commencement of this cycle represents the initiation of the addiction.

Afrin nasal spray addiction can (and often does) last a lifetime. Rhinostat has documented many cases of individuals who reported that they have been addicted to Afrin and other nasal sprays for more than forty years.

Because the nasal spray itself is the root cause of the problem, the only effective way to eliminate it is to discontinue the use of the sprays.

As any person that has suffered with rhinitis medicamentosa will tell you, this is much easier said than done. Breaking this addiction is not simply a matter of will power. The ability to breathe comfortably is essential to normal human functionality.

Only a small percentage of these people (less than 4%, according to our research) are able to endure the misery associated with "cold turkey" withdrawal. Unable to sleep, eat, work or socialize comfortably, the large majority of these people simply return to the use of the spray to end their misery.

Implications For Persons Addicted to Afrin & Nasal Sprays

It is not uncommon for these people to keep their problem a secret from their families, co-workers, friends and even their physicians. They excuse themselves from social settings, wake up in the middle of the night and learn how to integrate the use of the sprays into their daily routines, in solitude.

They keep a bottle of Afrin in their pocket or purse, their nightstand, glove box, backpack, attaché case and anywhere else necessary to ensure that it is readily available when needed.

Addicted persons often stock up, plan ahead and buy in volume (when on sale.) They know every retail store in their neighborhood that carries the product. Some may even rotate the places they go to purchase it, so as not to reveal their addiction to sales clerks. They often purchase other items along with the sprays to draw attention away from the item.

They may not be experts in chemistry, but they know the name of the active ingredient in their particular spray. Oxymetazoline, Phenylepherine or Xylometazoline. Regardless of the specific brand, they always select a spray with the correct compound. Unless they have a very sympathetic and supportive spouse or partner, they buy their own sprays.

The prospect of things such as surgical anesthesia, a camping trip to an isolated location or an ocean cruise (where they have no easy and immediate access to the nasal sprays) is a nightmare.

Many of these people tell us that nasal spray addiction is the most miserable and frustrating problem they have ever dealt with. This entire physiologic and psychological phenomenon is something that Rhinostat is intimately familiar with and it remains the subject of our focused research.

How Physicians Treat Rebound Congestion & Rhinitis Medicamentosa

In search of an answer, many of these patients turn to their physicians for help in ending nasal spray addiction.

Rhinitis Medicamentosa is a very frustrating problem for physicians to effectively treat. There are no FDA approved drugs nor therapies specifically for the treatment of RM patients. Most commonly, these patients are given a course of intranasal and/or systemic steroids and are told to discontinue their use of the decongestants. In some cases, surgery to reduce the turbinates or to correct a deviated septum is performed.

Regardless of what treatment is prescribed, the cornerstone of the therapy is always the same. Patients must discontinue their use of the sprays. It is this aspect of the treatment that presents the problem for these patients.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    [quote="marshall_mosty"] If you abuse Afrin (more than 3 days in a row), you risk rebound

Rebound Congestion & Rhinitis Medicamentosa[quote]

Oh believe me... my Nurse Practitioner wife has been bitching at me for years about it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar
    I use prescription Rhinoquart to keep from getting (more) flare ups. It is non steroid and coats the nasal passage to keep it from getting inflamed. If I use it every day as directed I keep the flares up controllable. Still get 2 or 3 sinus infections a year though. :evil:
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt
    Guys, unfortunately using Afrin daily for 2+ years is what ultimately put me in my current position. If you abuse Afrin (more than 3 days in a row), you risk rebound

Rebound Congestion & Rhinitis Medicamentosa

Rhinitis Medicamentosa (nasal spray addiction as a result of rebound congestion) is caused by the prolonged use of Afrin and other over-the-counter decongestant nasal sprays. The active ingredient in these sprays is a topical vasoconstrictor that temporarily reduces the size of the nasal turbinates, opens the nasal airway and provides decongestant relief from the rebound congestion.

When the decongestants are used for more than 3 consecutive days, it provokes a condition known as rebound congestion

Rebound congestion is the result of abnormal swelling and enlargement (hypertrophy) of the nasal mucosa, which blocks the nasal airway completely and causes extreme discomfort. This rebound congestion is temporarily relieved once again by the administration of another dose of Afrin or other nasal spray.

As soon as the temporary effect of the last dose of spray wears off, the swollen nasal mucosa again block the airway and another dose of spray is required to provide relief. The commencement of this cycle represents the initiation of the addiction.

Afrin nasal spray addiction can (and often does) last a lifetime. Rhinostat has documented many cases of individuals who reported that they have been addicted to Afrin and other nasal sprays for more than forty years.

Because the nasal spray itself is the root cause of the problem, the only effective way to eliminate it is to discontinue the use of the sprays.

As any person that has suffered with rhinitis medicamentosa will tell you, this is much easier said than done. Breaking this addiction is not simply a matter of will power. The ability to breathe comfortably is essential to normal human functionality.

Only a small percentage of these people (less than 4%, according to our research) are able to endure the misery associated with "cold turkey" withdrawal. Unable to sleep, eat, work or socialize comfortably, the large majority of these people simply return to the use of the spray to end their misery.

Implications For Persons Addicted to Afrin & Nasal Sprays

It is not uncommon for these people to keep their problem a secret from their families, co-workers, friends and even their physicians. They excuse themselves from social settings, wake up in the middle of the night and learn how to integrate the use of the sprays into their daily routines, in solitude.

They keep a bottle of Afrin in their pocket or purse, their nightstand, glove box, backpack, attaché case and anywhere else necessary to ensure that it is readily available when needed.

Addicted persons often stock up, plan ahead and buy in volume (when on sale.) They know every retail store in their neighborhood that carries the product. Some may even rotate the places they go to purchase it, so as not to reveal their addiction to sales clerks. They often purchase other items along with the sprays to draw attention away from the item.

They may not be experts in chemistry, but they know the name of the active ingredient in their particular spray. Oxymetazoline, Phenylepherine or Xylometazoline. Regardless of the specific brand, they always select a spray with the correct compound. Unless they have a very sympathetic and supportive spouse or partner, they buy their own sprays.

The prospect of things such as surgical anesthesia, a camping trip to an isolated location or an ocean cruise (where they have no easy and immediate access to the nasal sprays) is a nightmare.

Many of these people tell us that nasal spray addiction is the most miserable and frustrating problem they have ever dealt with. This entire physiologic and psychological phenomenon is something that Rhinostat is intimately familiar with and it remains the subject of our focused research.

How Physicians Treat Rebound Congestion & Rhinitis Medicamentosa

In search of an answer, many of these patients turn to their physicians for help in ending nasal spray addiction.

Rhinitis Medicamentosa is a very frustrating problem for physicians to effectively treat. There are no FDA approved drugs nor therapies specifically for the treatment of RM patients. Most commonly, these patients are given a course of intranasal and/or systemic steroids and are told to discontinue their use of the decongestants. In some cases, surgery to reduce the turbinates or to correct a deviated septum is performed.

Regardless of what treatment is prescribed, the cornerstone of the therapy is always the same. Patients must discontinue their use of the sprays. It is this aspect of the treatment that presents the problem for these patients.
    Wow, I have been there before. Luckily I have never been to the point where I had to use it longer than a month during alergy season. There was a time about 10-15 years ago from April to June (alergies) where I would not leave the house without it. In fact, I still have a bottle in my desk at work, at home, and one I travel with, but I have only used it once in the last year or so. I can see how so many people get hooked on it.

Bryan

Senior Member Grass-Passer Crumpacker's Avatar
    Mowed the yard today and found some odd weeds growing. One patch resembled tempered glass and the other has a stalk mimicking turn signal wiring.

Strange.

Sam Crumpacker
    CMC #54 - '94 Creamsicle

"Group D, Drama, to grid.."

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Looks like a photo I would take at work.

You should mount a video camera on your house, record the drunks running into your yard and post them on Youtube. That would be fun to see.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.