Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened?

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    Rear end is trashed. Pinion has only about 70% remaining, the ring gear is destroyed, debris is everywhere inside the housing. So, I'm sure the new differential is junk due to debris. Hopefully the rear end housing and axles are salvageable.
    Yikes. Sorry to hear that Mike. My stock 3.42 ring and pinion were in perfect shape when I pulled them out after breaking the posi case last year...they're all yours if you want 'em.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    Rear end is trashed. Pinion has only about 70% remaining, the ring gear is destroyed, debris is everywhere inside the housing. So, I'm sure the new differential is junk due to debris. Hopefully the rear end housing and axles are salvageable.
    Man that is too bad... Lots of carnage for race weekend number 1.

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey_SS View Post
    Yikes. Sorry to hear that Mike. My stock 3.42 ring and pinion were in perfect shape when I pulled them out after breaking the posi case last year...they're all yours if you want 'em.
    I've got my slightly worn 3.42s on the shelf also, and a very worn out T2R. Thanks though =)

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlingle View Post
    Sorry to hear that Mike. What caused the rear end to fail? Were the gears new too?
    Likely wheel hop under braking in the previous session. Best guess... / shrug /

Gears had been in there a few seasons.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Got the 4.6 tore down. As I assumed. Broken oil pump. Everything is toast. Both heads, cams, crank, four rods and four of the eight holes would have to be taken out .060" to get all the scratches out. What a waste of a bunch of money on good rods, and pistons. Not to mention a Teksid aluminum block. Steel block and 50lb. weight reduction is in the 55's future. I almost wanted to cry looking at those almost new rods all burned to hell!

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    JJ, check your email.

DD

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Got the 4.6 tore down. As I assumed. Broken oil pump. Everything is toast. Both heads, cams, crank, four rods and four of the eight holes would have to be taken out .060" to get all the scratches out. What a waste of a bunch of money on good rods, and pistons. Not to mention a Teksid aluminum block. Steel block and 50lb. weight reduction is in the 55's future. I almost wanted to cry looking at those almost new rods all burned to hell!

JJ
    I hava a "complete" 4.6 in my shop floor taking up space...paid $500 for it. was in an AC Cobra kit car and was torbo charged.. If you find it is not worth it I'll take core value.. You got my digits..

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Jerry. Do you have a canton oil pan? Make sure that is on your list too

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks to all that have offered help. I don't know what to do. David Donovan has offered help, David Love has an option, I have the iron block that bent the valves at Hallett two years ago that the block may be fine on so I don't know what I am going to do.

I do have the Canton pan.

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 02-01-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Man that sucks
    Al Fernandez