Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a 1998 Cobra

Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
    http://www.camaromustangchallenge.co...pic.php?t=4011

This car seems to be pretty well built, but is more expensive than most of the CMC cars I've seen. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of this car? Any opinions?
    Built by Mid Coast Performance and they were renting it in the MW and GL. The fabricator who built it (Kurt Borton) is about as much of a weight nazi as I am. Robb Brent and Rusty Ferguson drove it for a while, IIRC. I think the last time I saw it was 2008.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Thanks for the opinions everyone. I think that 2004 is going to be a bit much for me to spend up front though.

I did find another car however. It doesn't have a proper roll cage, but at this point it would probably be at least another year before I could start racing in CMC anyways. How much of this would transfer over to CMC? Obviously it would need a proper cage, but not sure about what else it would need. I'm sorry I keep posting these questions, but I'm just getting into this and still trying to learn what mods are OK and which aren't. One negative on this car is it's a 4.6 2v, but the horsepower seems to be about where it should be. Any opinions?

http://www.racingjunk.com/Other/2629...ll-sorted.html

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    but I'm just getting into this and still trying to learn what mods are OK and which aren't.
    No good: lexan quarter windows, tuning, missing dash, wheels may be too light, potential that front bumper lightening is an issue.

Remember that unless the rules say you can, you probably CAN NOT. Just sit down and re-read the rules AND, if you can, attend a bunch of events and take pictures of the cars. There are a couple of us around the Houston area also if you want to get eyes on a car.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Thanks for the opinions everyone. I think that 2004 is going to be a bit much for me to spend up front though.

I did find another car however. It doesn't have a proper roll cage, but at this point it would probably be at least another year before I could start racing in CMC anyways. How much of this would transfer over to CMC? Obviously it would need a proper cage, but not sure about what else it would need. I'm sorry I keep posting these questions, but I'm just getting into this and still trying to learn what mods are OK and which aren't. One negative on this car is it's a 4.6 2v, but the horsepower seems to be about where it should be. Any opinions?

http://www.racingjunk.com/Other/2629...ll-sorted.html
    There is a lot you would need to do to this one to be CMC legal but it depends how much you want to do swapping out parts.
    Here is a list in addition to Dave's of what is not CMC legal:
    cold air intake, throttle body, steeda 5-link, adjustable rear sway bar, MM k-member, forward offset front control arms, front and rear coilovers, cobra R hood.
    Also the Moroso wheel studs have a history of breaking and I am not a fan of the T2 rear end or T45 trans.
    IMO, $7500 seems like a little too much for all that would need to be done but if you like flipping parts you might be able to make a few bucks.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Thanks for the help. I read the rules again and have a better understanding of what is allowed and what's not. Will try to read those before I ask any more questions.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Thanks for the help. I read the rules again and have a better understanding of what is allowed and what's not. Will try to read those before I ask any more questions.
    Don't stop asking questions - if you don't know, you don't know.

AND... get eyes on, and pictures of some current cars. Always like having new folks join the group... somebody else to pass on inverst.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Anybody know anything about this car or know anyone in the area who may know?
    http://www.camaromustangchallenge.co...pic.php?t=4171
    Talked to him a bit. Said it could use a new thermostat and bushings. Motor was freshened up last year and has 2 events on it since. He sent me some more pictures of the interior, body, and engine I could forward if someone wanted to look.

So, any opinions?

Also, are there any specific questions I should be asking when talking to someone about one of these cars?

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Feel free to send me any pics he sent and I'll be happy to take a look.
    michaelmosty at hotmail dot com
    Curious why he says it needs a new thermostat. Did he overheat it during a race? What bushings does he think needs to be replaced?
    It sounds like a solid motor (assuming no damage from "possible" overheat), trans, and rear end. I'd get suspension specifics regarding bushings, control arms, ph bar, bumpsteer kit, springs, etc.
    Good quality cage?
    Also, not sure of the quality on the Tokico shocks/struts.
    Does the trans have a good 5th gear? (.82)? If not, that is about a $600 upgrade.
    Does it have just a set of rain tires? Also, the Cobra R's are a very heavy wheel (about 25 lbs).
    What other spares does it come with?

Not sure on the price, I guess it depends on how much additional you would be looking to spend to get it in the top condition you want. Everyone has their own interpretation of "fully prepped, race ready".
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Don't stop asking questions - if you don't know, you don't know.

AND... get eyes on, and pictures of some current cars. Always like having new folks join the group... somebody else to pass on inverst.
    Francis, how can you pass anyone on the inverts, if you are starting on the front row?
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro