Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mark Smith turns pro

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Looks like you gave less left input on the wheel at the crest that lap than the laps before. I only watched in once. Could be wrong.

Thing is Mark, for such a new driver, you are doing very well. Nothing to hang your head over. Mike Patterson told me stories about cars left for dead at the track from hitting the wall on your left before they moved it back 10ft.

Thanks Glenn,

I agree. After watching it several times, I could have put in a little more left input and been a little quicker about it. But I also could have gone to far left and ended up in the real wall. I was really bummed about it (duh) but looking back, It could have been much worse. Also, I couldn't have picked a better time to do it, Ford was there! I still can't believe what they (Mark Wilson) did for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumpacker View Post
    Wow, those vids were intense! Awesome Driving Mark! ..except for that one part It didn't look like you did anything wrong, your car just wanted to play driftos. It looked really slick out there, is that normal for Mid-O?

I'm still cringing from the end of QR2...
    Thanks

I can't tell you what normal is, it was my fist time there. It's a tough turn though. The car gets pretty light as you come over the top, and then there's a little negative camber.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Sorry to see that happen to a nice car. My $0.02 of input is that the tires were going away. You could see Poe and the white car entering that turn with a LOT of yaw on them just before you did. The formula you guys are running with the higher power and 3400-3600lb cars are killing the toyos after about 10 minutes. You could see it in race one as the rear was all over the place after about 12 minutes. Too much power and too much weight going through a 275 tire. I always tell Patterson I will just make him drive the tires off his car but since he drives it sideways, it's sometimes hard to pass him! Weight and big HP is killer on the tires. I'd also say you were having to brake WAY too early before T4 (used to be T7)? Too much weight to get whoa'd down and it's a great passing zone.

What were the tire pressures HOT? I realize the 18" is going to be a little different than the 17" but if you are over 31 hot, the tires get greasy as hell and with the 18" being much less forgiving, especially how stiff the 302S cars are sprung, it leaves VERY little room for error especially at ol' turn 11. Many things to think about for improvement, but kudos for being there and not giving up.