Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended machine shop in Houston?

Senior Member Grass-Passer

Recommended machine shop in Houston?

Drained the water out of the radiator last night and there was a bunch of black shit and some oil in the water. Combined with the low compression on cylinders 1,3, & 4 it's all pointing to a head gasket. I'm going to pull the intake manifold tonight and probably get the heads off sometime this weekend. I'd like to take them to a machine shop before I put them back on and was hoping someone had a recommendation for a good one here in Houston.

Also, I'm not too worried about pulling the heads off, but it would be nice to have someone who is familiar with the 4.6 to help put them back on. Would be willing to pay for help with money, beer, food, or women(men?).

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rsmith350's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Rick's Machine. 713-649-4442
    " Racing makes crack addiction look like a mild craving for something salty"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Erik Koenig HK Enterprises http://www.hkracingengines.com/

Joe @ Owens Racing in Pearland (281) 485-7336 - he built the stroker in my '69 Camaro. They came recommended from a long time mechanic friend and I was sold when I saw the 3 or 4 blown big block boat engines in the shop.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Called and talked to Joe and will probably take the heads there. Couldn't get anyone to answer at Rick's or HK. Thanks for the help guys.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post

Also, I'm not too worried about pulling the heads off, but it would be nice to have someone who is familiar with the 4.6 to help put them back on. Would be willing to pay for help with money, beer, food, or women(men?).
    I think Jerry or Matt are your 4.6 guys around here. Jerry will want payment with men-think he has a fondness for military guys, too!
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    I think Jerry or Matt are your 4.6 guys around here. Jerry will want payment with men-think he has a fondness for military guys, too!
    I have one shop I use in Dallas and they used to use Houston Performance...granted I know of the horror stories, I got special treatment as a sponsored car. I honestly have not kept up on the mod motors much over the last 5 years....haven't needed to and hope it stays that way. However, Since my new HP target for ST2 is 7.65:1....I need about 70hp and can't make it there with my current combo. If anyone is interested, my AI motor will likely be getting pulled and sold over the off season. Goal is to go Coyote but that is a $12k endeavor I am not sure I am ready to take on just yet.

As for the Original poster....does your motor have head studs? If so, were they retorqued after initial heat cycles? If not, you might not need anything but new head gaskets. Then torque, heat cycle twice, then torque again with an extra 5lbs. Works great.

No head studs, just TTY bolts.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Pull the engine. I don't even try to pull heads off with the engine in the car.

BL what was your fastest lap time at ECR???????Nuff said.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    PBL what was your fastest lap time at ECR???????Nuff said.
    I love it when chicks fight...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Pull the engine. I don't even try to pull heads off with the engine in the car.

BL what was your fastest lap time at ECR???????Nuff said.

JJ
    Hey Rock-Jerry is coming over this weekend to check your oil......I mean check the oil in the motor. Is it clean or like chocolate milk?

Alright One Lap Wonder--had a faster lap than me (at ECR how bout Hallett)..easy pickings on the guy that had to brake before the 500 ft marker and couldn't pull the motor over 4,800...do I need to send you my spreadsheet of excuses?
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24