Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grand Am

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    Just some food for thought for NASA....the track cost $50k a day to rent so its a $150k for the three day event. Now the entry fee was $650 each with 7 classes maxing out at 85 cars each. PLUS $500 per garage with 30 garages total. So factor 600 total entrants makes them $390k plus $15k for garages. At $405k total that is a LOT OF MONEY for the club to make in profit. Several classes sold out in 10 min and have waiting lists! I can only imagine that NASA would have the same success if they kept lobbying to race there!
    Come on Aaron. Those are some simple napkin economics, but in reality SCCA's bill is A LOT more than $150k for the weekend coming up. Don't think COTA isn't charging them to turn around and rent the garages and for every bathroom door that gets unlocked.

SCCA will turn a profit, but its isn't as easy as subtracting $150k from $405k. If it's really that easy, I've got 2 NASA regions I'll sell you for $200k. You can manage one event at COTA and that'll net you $55k to pocket and walk away.
    Last edited by nasa-rm; 02-28-2013 at 12:48 PM.
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wade's Avatar
    I heard something about no outside food or drink, and that COTA would sell you a case of water for $48. That seemingly small thing could really add up. I bet the have the same requirements for no outside FUEL, and so on. I'm totally ok with waiting until the "new" wears off.
    '86 Mustang Coupe - CMC2 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    I heard something about no outside food or drink, and that COTA would sell you a case of water for $48. That seemingly small thing could really add up. I bet the have the same requirements for no outside FUEL, and so on. I'm totally ok with waiting until the "new" wears off.
    There is a man that is thinking right.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    I bet the have the same requirements for no outside FUEL
    That was strangely not one of the restrictions in place for the Driver's Edge event. There was a gas station right across the street that everyone was driving to. They ran out on Saturday...

Richard P.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    That was strangely not one of the restrictions in place for the Driver's Edge event. There was a gas station right across the street that everyone was driving to. They ran out on Saturday...

Richard P.
    With the tree hugging City of Austin it may be easier to build a race track than putting in fuel tanks.

JJ

Senior Member Rookie
    I will there Saturday, have tickets in T15.

Chuck
    CMC#14

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    I will be there Friday and Saturday - GA section of T1.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    With the tree hugging City of Austin it may be easier to build a race track than putting in fuel tanks.

Fuel tanks were there at the track with the standard track price markups...

Richard P.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    Were you the one that had that red MR2 that came to Ed's shop in January to have Jerry do your annual tech?
    My race MR2 is a blue 94. I've been working with John Cooper to get my annual done... nice talkative guy and has been travelling out to my shop to save me from having to tow the car all over to get things taken care of
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Blog Entries
    Guess I'm not going to make it. I have been trying to get my upper control arm (on the PM3L) welded for weeks and now my welder can only come tomorrow around noon. Have fun.

JJ