Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "CMC-S", "AI-Lite" Discussion

Senior Member Grass-Passer Boudy's Avatar
    Let me get this straight, there was bitching because if a Mustang made the numbers, he was called a cheater... Now, the rules allow for production parts that fix the afore mentioned problem and bow to behold, "Bitching"

WTF!?!

Boudy

Quote Originally Posted by Boudy
    Let me get this straight, there was bitching because if a Mustang made the numbers, he was called a cheater... Now, the rules allow for production parts that fix the afore mentioned problem and bow to behold, "Bitching"
    That's pretty much it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    And to think I just let my GT40 irons and my explorer (Cobra clone) intake go for $650 total... bummer. I could have helped out my fellow racers. Too bad I'm out of speed parts to sell at the moment.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty
    And to think I just let my GT40 irons and my explorer (Cobra clone) intake go for $650 total... bummer. I could have helped out my fellow racers. Too bad I'm out of speed parts to sell at the moment.
    Hmm... Looks like the market value for my iron GT40s just went up...

-- Robert King
    AI #42

Senior Member Grass-Passer oz98cobra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP
    I like the new class. I certainly don't agree with requiring the hundred or so of current CMC cars to spend money to come up to the performance of the newer cars.

Also in my opinion, the people calling the new class AI-Lite don't have a clue on the realities of the current AI rules set. The philosophies of the two classes are about 180 degrees apart...

Richard P.
    Umm, if I'm not mistaken, a good portion the CMC field is now about to go spend $100s of dollars upgrading their Mustangs with Cobra parts to make sure they are at 230/300 anyway so why not make it class wide and up the power levels a little to even the playing field with newer models?

No one would be REQUIRED to upgrade, just like there are plenty of AI cars running around that are not up to spec due to cost, it would be a personal decision. IMO race classes for production based cars should evolve with the times, instead of just adding new classes to accomodate newer models.

And I agree that CMC-S is miles from AI and very few cars would be able to devolve to that new class. On the other hand, it will almost certainly dilute future AI fields somewhat as many racers with eligible cars will opt for the cheaper option. I have such a car sitting in my driveway right now - it needs little more than a completed cage and a race seat to be competive in CMC-S as it sits right now, but it would need well upwards of $10K spent to be a mid pack AI runner! Hmmm :idea:
    Daron
    AI75 DownUnder Racing

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by oz98cobra
    I have such a car sitting in my driveway right now - it needs little more than a completed cage and a race seat to be competive in CMC-S as it sits right now, but it would need well upwards of $10K spent to be a mid pack AI runner! Hmmm :idea:
    sell said car as a CMC or -S racer and buy my car! You would have about the same money in it and have a better than mid pack AI car! :wink: And yes, I am serious.

Senior Member Grass-Passer macstang's Avatar
    I have a Cobra intake for sale soon. Its on the maroon car and I got an aftermarket intake. Wait, I can put that on the CMC 44, but it already makes the numbers-must be illegal.

I also have GT40P heads that I assume will not be class legal for sale.

I also have a 70mm MAF from a 94, and a whole bunch of left over stuff from the most recent CMC 44 build.
    Jerry
    Team Warhorse-Bishop/MacNeil
    CMC Mustang #44
    Red 1993 Mustang TTB # 15

>>>>RETIRED-PENDING OVERSEAS TOUR<<<<

CMC17
    Quote Originally Posted by Boudy

WTF!?!

Boudy
    No quite. If those mustangs that are making the "numbers" aren't using the new approved list of parts, they are still illegal.

It looks like the Bitchin' Black Camaro will have a place to race with NASA pretty much as it sits now. Will probably have to take the interior out is about all.

Where are the proposed rules posted?
    Kmix
    Super Touring One
    NASA Texas Ya'll

[/quote] No one would be REQUIRED to upgrade, just like there are plenty of AI cars running around that are not up to spec due to cost, it would be a personal decision. IMO race classes for production based cars should evolve with the times, instead of just adding new classes to accomodate newer models.

And I agree that CMC-S is miles from AI and very few cars would be able to devolve to that new class. On the other hand, it will almost certainly dilute future AI fields somewhat as many racers with eligible cars will opt for the cheaper option. I have such a car sitting in my driveway right now - it needs little more than a completed cage and a race seat to be competive in CMC-S as it sits right now, but it would need well upwards of $10K spent to be a mid pack AI runner! Hmmm :idea:[/quote]

Yea! What Daron said except for Camaro.
    Kmix
    Super Touring One
    NASA Texas Ya'll