Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Right Side Safety Net

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70
    remember guys, a safety net is not the only option in this new rule.
    You're right. We can also buy a new seat and deal with the hassle of rearranging our setup around that. How much are those running, BTW?

The other option is this simple device. Only another $500! That would have been the new fire suit this season. I guess those kinds of decisions regarding where my safety budget is spent are best left out of my hands, as I clearly have no ability to determine where it should go.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    there are add on devices to meet that requirement. no need for a replacement seat.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Is this mandated for all classes for Nasa in 2007 or still just in speculation stage?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Have any of you goofballs worn a hans device... Why on earth do we need anything else holding our heads in a position that I can't see someone next to me...? Give me spotters and constant radio info and I might think about it. :roll:
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    IMHO, the HANS didn't limit my visability. If you're cranking your head that far around to see out the 1/4 mirrors, you aren't paying enough attention to what is in front of you.

I can't even tell I'm wearing the HANS from a functional prospective. It DOES limit head rotation, but not any restriction during racing situations.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    the new rule is not about a device that "holds your head" and keeps you from looking out your passenger window. it shouldnt be installed that way. my perception.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty
    IMHO, the HANS didn't limit my visability. If you're cranking your head that far around to see out the 1/4 mirrors, you aren't paying enough attention to what is in front of you.

I can't even tell I'm wearing the HANS from a functional prospective. It DOES limit head rotation, but not any restriction during racing situations.
    Mine more or less lets me see the side mirrors but beyond that consider yourself in my big ass blind spot! I guess the solution here is just to build a brace on the side of my seat or bolted to the main hoop.

Guess I need to sit down and read the rules for 07 and see what ELSE I have to do in the off season.... :roll:
    Ah, fugg it.

I'd wait a few days Matt, NASA still lists those CCR's as "preliminary" and you might be studying the wrong version. I'm not sure when the official version is due out.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    This one time, at band camp......

I spun at Houston early last year to the left of the chicane just before the launch. There is a little road there. I'm on the little road attempting to re-enter the track but was at such the angle, I couldn't see cars approaching from my right.
    I had to back up to the left so as to see.
    I think this was my 1st time in the hans.
    Have never had a situation similar since.

jb