Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Inverted Starts

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbage
    I can't for the life of me understand why anyone in CMC would support fully inverted starts.

I've heard CMC driver's on several occasions mention that they liked faster cars coming through because if they time it right, they can follow the faster car and accomplish a pass that they otherwise would have found difficult to do. Best I can tell, Todd is the master at this…

It’s a skill. Part of advanced driving past HPDE levels. Kind of like driving in the rain. Some welcome and excel in the challenge. Others cower from it.

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    I think MB is on to something!

If NASATX was going to put 4 VW powered bicycles into a run group of their own, put AI/AIX into Group 8 with GPC...I will go play with Mixon and Jay.

As for the FUN that has been mentioned here....for me, the funnest time I have had in the car in the last 12 months was the SCMC event in November at Houston. I would wave Wayne/Todd/Bettin/JG by and then work my way back past while sitting front row for a show of top notch driving....no pressure at all for points or position...just fun!

I think I may have found a more fun way to enjoy my investment which is instructing and then playing with the instructors in the white group....anyone got Schwalenburgs phone number?! :wink:
    Ah, fugg it.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP
    I can't for the life of me understand why anyone in CMC would support fully inverted starts.

I've heard CMC driver's on several occasions mention that they liked faster cars coming through because if they time it right, they can follow the faster car and accomplish a pass that they otherwise would have found difficult to do. Best I can tell, Todd is the master at this…

It’s a skill. Part of advanced driving past HPDE levels. Kind of like driving in the rain. Some welcome and excel in the challenge. Others cower from it.

Richard P.
    ROFLMAO, now comes Richard saying those who don't want to must "cower" from it. Great stuff. Don't pass based upon your skills, let some out of class car punch a hole and follow them. :roll:

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    In Football, you have the back Judge ... in basketball you have the ref ... in baseball you have the 3rd base ump ... sometimes, things just happen that cause them to be in the line of fire. It is considered a part of the game and they are a part of the field, turf, court.

Cars on the track are no different than the cone and curb at NPR ... the rocks exiting Big Bend at MSR-C or the smooth vs sharp transition at TWS. It's all a part of the track.

Some can't figure out why slower cars would want faster cars barreling through the field. Some of the slower cars can't figure out why faster cars have owners dumping the cash in them in order to win a medal and get their name in a phantom article somewhere. Nothing makes sense.

The point is, each of have our reasons for liking or disliking a small part of a whole weekend. We can either let that small and sometimes insignificant piece of the whole puzzle frustrate and be a cause to stress over or a driver can cope, adapt and overcome.

David, if you are running by yourself in class, there should NEVER be a time when you have to do body work after a fully inverted race. There's just no reason for it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Fully inverted starts prove what? That I can pass a slower and bad handling CMC car. What is the point of the risk?
    they are not to prove anything. they are to provide fun for the whole group, not just the 4-5 top cars. bad handling CMC car? lots of tire, brake, aero, HP and light weight will go along ways to cover up ones ability/inability. all racers should try a few laps in under powered car w/ no tire, brakes or aero and low HP. it takes a lot to get the times us CMC guys are running w/ these cars. as for the risk? well there should be no risk for you as you win each time you put the car on track and take one lap. who are you racing?

Sunday's race 1 I did not qualify (Call me what you want, but I am the one who foots the bills for my car. No one is going to pressure me into taking unnecessary risk.)
    that was a smart move. no reason to risk a wreck. you can't qualify for 1/2 place. you didn’t need to qualify to pole, so why do it.

Some CMC folks will let an out of class car pass and then there are other's who will not. The one's who let you pass understand class racing, the one's who don't are stupid.
    so you expect a 1 of 13 CMC car to move over and let the 1 of 1 AIX car pass? your race against yourself is more important? and the CMC driver is stupid?

Fully inverted starts are putting more expensive cars at a greater risk.
    so your car is worth more to you than say mine to me? or is it that the cars w/ the most money in them always win CMC so they always start @ the back on the inverts?

Who is getting the thrill on fully inverted starts? The driver or the spectator?
    I think it’s the driver that got a bad qualifying time cause he/she played it safe and drove off into the mud to ensure he made no contact w/ another driver who may have spun, or oiled down the track, or had a mechanical issue. or just plain sucks @ qualifying. its about keeping the points chase close all the way to the end of the year. if it was about money and fame, I would agree w/ you. if its fame you want, go race GA Cup, or SCCA W/C, or NASCAR.

Those people in AI, who need fully inverted starts to be competitive, should practice more.
    or spend more money. cause it’s the more expensive cars that win, right?

The only way a deficient AI driver could win in a fully inverted start is if a clueless CMC car holds off the rest of the AI field.
    CMC is just there to fill out the group 5 car count to help AI/AIX get their own run group right? surely the 23 points collecting drivers for 2006 need to actually race to win, but only do so while no AI/AIX cars are in sight. once again, I'm not sure the CMC driver is the clueless one.

Otherwise the usual folks who win are going to win. Is this winning by affirmative action? That is not winning. That is being handed a crutch and saying, "We know you and your car suck! We want you to win so you go home feeling good about yourself."
    we want people to have fun. if no-one has fun, no-one comes back. w/ no car count, we all loose a place to race, including yourself. this level of racing is "for fun racing". we do it for fun. do you?

The same people who came up with fully inverted starts are probably the same whimps that say, "Everybody is a winner. Let's not keep score so little Johnnie doesn't have his self esteem crushed." Well little Johnnie is going to get his soft ass crushed in the real world. How do you think little Johnnie is going to handle that big disappointment.
    I like inverted starts. I see it as an opportunity to tell the other drivers who started in front of me and finish behind me "you had no excuse." I agree w/ inverts and the reason they are around. I don’t think of myself as a wimp, but hey, I could very well be. guess what, this is not real world racing. this is "for fun" racing. we are not going to make a living racing in CMC/AI/AIX. we are not going to be signing autographs, or staring in Talladega Nights. so whats wrong w/ knowing you lost to a guy who started in front of you? do you think that person is going around bragging about winning from the front of an inverted start? so what if they do?

Fully inverted starts increase the risk of frustration, anger, aggression, and crashes. None of those items are good for the series.
    all of these things you mentioned do not belong in racing w/ NASA and the CMC/AI/AIX series.

I tried to ignore this post and hoped someone would comment on this mentality. I'm sure I'll catch a shit storm for what I've just said. but just as your entitled to your opinion, as am I.

Racing in the rain...not my cup of tea. Don't have a reason to put the car in jeapordy, won't do it. Not worth the financial heartache.

Call it "coward by the wallet."

Fully inverted starts makes about as much sense to me. What is the point? Why the risk? What does it prove? Let CMC drivers practice on each other.

Here is a new question within a thread:

What group has had the most accidents?
    A. CMC
    B. AI
    C. AIX

The answer to this question will prove my point. Inverted starts suck and are completely pointless. Find your fun and practice elsewhere.

David, if you are running by yourself in class, there should NEVER be a time when you have to do body work after a fully inverted race. There's just no reason for it.

And I don't go flying through the field on a start. What is the point?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    the point is your racing yourself in a class of 1 or 2. your doing it in a car thats only turning lap times w/in about 3-4 seconds of what its capable of. its real easy when your not on the edge of grip all the time. compund that w/ 15 cars that are almost all covered by the same amount of time your car is leaving on the track. there is also the number of cars.

Yeah, so lets keep manipulating things to add more skill level to the equation. I'm sure we can use that soap video Covini posted for another great idea. Then we can see who'll step up and soap race with the big boys and who cowers from it.

Using Mitch's analogy, lets have the umpires stand in the base paths, or let's put more rocks on the track, etc etc. To what end and for what purpose? So we can see who's got more skill?? What ever happened to line up and race based upon where you qualified?? Not enough difficulty rating in that one??

I've got my hands full keeping up with the racing we do now.

http://they are not to prove anythin...re you racing?
    Yeah, my car has tires under it, but it doesn't have hp. 345-355hp at best. That is not much. Next season it will. I will enjoy the difference.

http://so you expect a 1 of 13 CMC c...ver is stupid?

Now I have never messed up someone else's race. That is just uncool.

http://so your car is worth more to ...n the inverts?

Yeah, it is.

http://I like inverted starts. I see...at if they do?

I am not looking for fame. Just fun. I am sure you really didn't want your picture taken at nationals, huh? Camera shy? Felt good though seeing your picture in a magazine.

http://or spend more money. cause it...at win, right?

Well yeah. The more expensive and better prepared cars do win.

http://CMC is just there to fill out... clueless one.

Not sure what your point is here.

http://we want people to have fun. i...r fun. do you?

You have fun by improving and knowing you are improving. Not by having your ego inflated thinking you winning or being given a win. And yeah, I have fun racing my car. Not fixing it.

http://all of these things you menti...AI/AIX series.

No, they don't belong in the series, but they will happen because like it or not everyone in this group is competitive. Why else are you racing? If you write back and say you are not competitive and don't really care about winning you are a liar.