Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Inverted Starts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez
    Dave, I'm a little confused...you do or do not want to fully invert the field?

:lol:
    Well I have to ask, who are you? And what region are you from? What is your experience? And what are your intentions with this series? What are your leadership qualifications? Are you planning on keeping this series consistant? Hopefully you are not into experimenting with safety and think AI/AIX should start behind a bunch of wheezing stock motored CMC cars.

Just feel like we should put everything out on the table. I complain about safety and stupid ideas like fully inverted starts. Otherwise I keep my mouth shut and keep to myself. The politics of this series would even make John Force loose interest in racing.

David

PS Fully inverted Starts SSSSSSUUUUUCCCCKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty
    I can also see everyone's point, however we ALL have to deal with a speed differential... either positive or negative.

We all have to watch our mirrors while keeping the rest of the racing in prospective.

That is what makes us the badasses and rockstars of the every day driving world.... we're racecar drivers! 8)

Many other series run "out of class" cars. In endurance racing in the ALMS, I'm sure the Audi guys aren't saying... damn, we're getting stuck behind a lowely GT1 or GT2 car. The slower traffic is just a rolling chicane that EVERYONE has to deal with. It may not be at the same place on the track, but the "obsticle" is still out there for everyone to overcome.

Everyone take a deep breath, pull your manties from you A$$ and get ready for Feb!!!!

... or as JB says, "Cinch it up!!!"

See you guys at SpeedZone!
    Where in ALMS do they do inverted starts??? I missed that part of their program. "Obsticle" or "popsicle" or whatever, the point is why do we invert? How you can use ALMS to make that point is beyond me.

Nobody is talking about getting lapped here, we're talking about changing the way races are started. The cluster@#$ going into Turn 1 on Lap 1, the tip-toe through the tulips on the first half lap amigo.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty
    Many other series run "out of class" cars. In endurance racing in the ALMS, I'm sure the Audi guys aren't saying... damn, we're getting stuck behind a lowely GT1 or GT2 car. The slower traffic is just a rolling chicane that EVERYONE has to deal with. It may not be at the same place on the track, but the "obsticle" is still out there for everyone to overcome.
    Marshall,

I don't think Miata's start in front of the Audi's and Cadillac's. The faster group starts in front of the slower.

Why not have Kevin's group start in the back of CMC? Because they don't want their +50K car smashed into by some CMC yahoo.

Do you blame them? Hell no.

David

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbage
    I don't think Miata's start in front of the Audi's and Cadillac's. The faster group starts in front of the slower.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bell
    Where in ALMS do they do inverted starts??? I missed that part of their program.
    Okay, I hit the "Submit" button early. I should have referred to the restarts after a double yellow where the field is all bunched up with out of class cars everywhere...

maybe my post goes without merit. If so, ohh well. I cry softly to myself later.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbage
    Well I have to ask, who are you? And what region are you from? What is your experience? And what are your intentions with this series? What are your leadership qualifications? Are you planning on keeping this series consistant? Hopefully you are not into experimenting with safety and think AI/AIX should start behind a bunch of wheezing stock motored CMC cars.

umm... http://www.aicmctexas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=741

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Covini
    New Texas AI/CMC Leadership Team Announced for 2007!
    Effective December 1, 2006

It is with great pleasure to announce that Al Fernandez, CMC Director from NASA’s Northern California region will transfer to the NASA Texas region effective Jan. 1, 2007. Mr. Fernandez will retain his current duties as a CMC Series Director and report to Todd Covini
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    well i have posted this once already. why is everyone so wound up over a question? this is not something that has been proposed. not something that was taken to a vote. i know of no plans for this to happen. so why all the banter. David, you will still start in front of the AI cars and AI cars in front of CMC cars. that way, inverts will only be w/in class. but, that means GPC cars will start in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70
    well i have posted this once already. why is everyone so wound up over a question? this is not something that has been proposed. not something that was taken to a vote. i know of no plans for this to happen. so why all the banter. David, you will still start in front of the AI cars and AI cars in front of CMC cars. that way, inverts will only be w/in class. but, that means GPC cars will start in front of you.
    Why is GPC in our run group? Has this been decided or something?

Blog Entries
    David, you should really stop w/ the crap talking of CMC. there is no reason to keep talking down to those who choose to run CMC. your allowed to have your opinion, but voicing it over and over is getting a little old.

Blog Entries
    not. but there will be times when we will be asked to run w/ them. we have done it in the past, we will do it some more i'm sure.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

Re: Inverted Starts

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP
    Since it looks like fun to start a thread that will eventually get locked…
    All you guys DO realize that RP is sitting back watching all this and laughing, right?

Well, I'm not biting on this one! :twisted:

We're not changing the formula.
    Inverted starts aren't up for debate...they'll continue and are a part of AI/CMC's philosophy. <-----that's a period

The valid questions/discussion/debate is:
    1) How many inverts per weekend?
    2) Invert within class or entire field?

Regarding the # per weekend...qualifying always leads to racing by qual time. So anytime we have 1 qual and 2 races in a day...there's a "fun race" to be had! (Al could tell you how many starting variations of "Fun Races" there are.) In general, we can anticipate 2 straight up races per weekend based on qual times. So...that leaves us with either 1 or 2 inverted races for the weekend (assuming we're talking 3 or 4 race weekends).

Regarding within class/entire field....Remember our discussions earlier in 2006.

"As the AI & CMC fields of cars grow, the chances of us running the entire AI/CMC field inverted will go down."

For all the same reasons folks would rather not run with GPC/ETC (race out of class cars) we ideally don't want to throw AIX cars into the CMC mix during an inverted start. Now...put the fastest CMC car or AI car at the back of the CMC field or AI field respectively...and now we're talkin!!! That's where we are heading guys/girls!

Inverting the entire field makes sense when we have 10-20 cars....it makes less sense when we have 20-30 cars...and it'll make no sense when we have 30-40 cars. So...as we "grow up"...AI and CMC will race more independently of each other. (...and it'll be a moot point because you'll STILL have a number of cars to get around during an invert, just ones that are in your own class!!!)

We're just not 100% there yet and have to play nice together until we get there...right? RIGHT??? RIGHT??? RIGHT???
    -=- T
    American Iron Series - National Director