Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Engine Block Cracked

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    I don't think that's a good example to write an engine off. I've never seen that happen myself or to anyone. The LS swap has a lot of hidden costs that really add up. Call it $600+ to convert an LT trans if you do it yourself, need clutch and master/slave. If starting with a truck motor need an intake, oil pan, all accessories, computer, wiring, and you'll make the same 260/310. All that to say I'm slowly gathering the stuff to do it myself.
    Well it happened to my LT4 C4 twice at TWS. I then went to the LTCC setup to ditch the cap/rotor part of the opti (which required pulling the water pump/opti AGAIN), then the optical half failed and I got to pull the water pump/opti AGAIN. If you can keep an LT running, you're a better man than I (but that isn't saying much haha), but I'm 100% done with them. I swore I'd never buy another LT, then I bought another LT and I pretty much instantly regretted it.

I think an LS swap is probably $7-8k to do it right, but I can't put a price on less LT frustration at the track.
    Last edited by Mojave; 06-07-2022 at 10:19 AM.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Isn’t the LT1 the same bellhousing bolt pattern and depths as every other SBC? I’ve been running the old 305TPI with T5. From what I read I thought the LT1 bolts right up bellhousing flywheel clutch and all. I may have misunderstood something here. I guess I need to do some more digging. I got Time. I’ll do some more research.
    Your 305 is a 1pc rear main, correct? I can't remember if all TPI's were the later style.
    Yes, the T5 bellhousing bolts right up to the LT1, and the T56 bellhousing will bolt up to the 305.
    Canton pan fits both 305 and LT1

I've run my (world class) T5 for a few years behind the 305. I did go through it and did some of the standard upgrades (bearing retainer I think?) quite a few years ago when I dropped in the LT1. A lot will depend how you drive it to make it survive. No sidestepping the clutch on the standing starts, don't just slam your shifts.

I'm using the T5 clutch and hydraulics. I took the flywheel to get balance matched to the LT1 flywheel, just to be sure. Don't remember what they did, but that particular flywheel was on a few previous engines.

5.3L is nice and if something major happens I'll go that route. As mentioned, the longblock is the cheap and easy part. It's all the other stuff that adds up. Exhaust and intake manifolds if you don't have them, custom y-pipe, engine crossmember notched (sometimes), trans crossmember (Holley is great, but interferes with my Alston subframes), accessories, oil pan and Improved trap door for oil control, hoses, wiring...
    Last edited by Alien; 06-08-2022 at 11:49 AM.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien View Post
    Your 305 is a 1pc rear main, correct? I can't remember if all TPI's were the later style.
    Yes, the T5 bellhousing bolts right up to the LT1, and the T56 bellhousing will bolt up to the 305.
    Canton pan fits both 305 and LT1

I've run my (world class) T5 for a few years behind the 305. I did go through it and did some of the standard upgrades (bearing retainer I think?) quite a few years ago when I dropped in the LT1. A lot will depend how you drive it to make it survive. No sidestepping the clutch on the standing starts, don't just slam your shifts.

I'm using the T5 clutch and hydraulics. I took the flywheel to get balance matched to the LT1 flywheel, just to be sure. Don't remember what they did, but that particular flywheel was on a few previous engines.

5.3L is nice and if something major happens I'll go that route. As mentioned, the longblock is the cheap and easy part. It's all the other stuff that adds up. Exhaust and intake manifolds if you don't have them, custom y-pipe, engine crossmember notched (sometimes), trans crossmember (Holley is great, but interferes with my Alston subframes), accessories, oil pan and Improved trap door for oil control, hoses, wiring...
    Gary, thank you for the confirmation. Everything I’ve read says it’ll work. Nice to have a fellow racer onboard with the idea. I’m $4000 into the 5.3 build. I probably should just finish it out. Just need another $1500 worth of crap, and then I might be ready for the Dyno. Time, effort, and money. Striving for reliability. Can’t make up my mind.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    What about running the T56 from the LT? You don't need 6th gear but I assume if 6th is broke there are other issues. People will still pay some strong money for a core I hear if you sold it to finish the LS.

LT was second at Hallett. My car sat for over 10 years and has three race weekends under it without an issue of the LT-I'm not going to blame the fire on the LT's plastic fuel lines.

For everything discussed I think the most unreliable part would be the T5. The T56 you can't hardly break at our power and tire.

Do you have or can you use your existing exhaust with the LT? Just looking at all the small stuff that goes into either and where you want to put your energy.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    What about running the T56 from the LT? You don't need 6th gear but I assume if 6th is broke there are other issues. People will still pay some strong money for a core I hear if you sold it to finish the LS.

LT was second at Hallett. My car sat for over 10 years and has three race weekends under it without an issue of the LT-I'm not going to blame the fire on the LT's plastic fuel lines.

For everything discussed I think the most unreliable part would be the T5. The T56 you can't hardly break at our power and tire.

Do you have or can you use your existing exhaust with the LT? Just looking at all the small stuff that goes into either and where you want to put your energy.
    What do you mean don't need 6th gear? Per the 2022 rules:

6.27.3 All gears including reverse must be functional and able to be used to drive the car

Member Rookie
    He’s just saying none of us 6th gear, it’s a waste to have but yes you I cannot remove the gear per the rules . Hell, I never even use 5th

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post

Bryan,

I have been youtubing T56 rebuilds. Seems like it is within my capability. I need to learn this stuff, and a good excuse to buy some more tools like the depth gauges ect. Could always bring the T5 as a backup trans. The current 305TPI is running the aftermarket headers that the rules allow. I'll have to use the factory LT Headers, and your right, I might be able to bolt the current exhaust piping right up to the headers or at least minor adjustments made. Maybe another headache averted.

The good news is I get to make up my mind very shortly.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Fuck a T5. I just dug back into my T56 for the 3rd time this year (very unusual, usually they're nuke proof), and I'll tell you it's about as easy as it gets to service this thing. If you can rebuild it and make it not leak it'll be a damned long time before you crack it open again. I sucked on a basic rebuild and it leaked and that drove me nuts so I opened up Pandora's box and here I am.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    If you can rebuild it and make it not leak it'll be a damned long time before you crack it open again.
    Weird; I don't think we've ever had one leak, at least not at the case parting.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Member Rookie
    Rebuilding a T56 is simple. Hardest part for me was the 5/6 cluster removal and taking the time to set the bearing preload but I have the puller now so that makes it easier. Thinking of, I need to put my spare t56 back together soon.