Thread: 200 TW Tire Sub Class Interest

Threaded View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I will never get over all the lies about Toyo tires. After the new RA1 came out I talked to several higher ups in NASA and I was told the new RA1 was exactly the same as the original one......exactly the same. I was then told the reason the tires were falling off with heat cycles was due to us all being so much faster and harder on the tire than we had been with the old RA1. I assumed that was all true until a few nights ago I spent a few hours on several forums reading about how the old RA1 was fastest right before cording. I was not reading a NASA CMC thread but several classes in SCCA and others like Porsche club. I read over and over about how the RA1 was not great but it just got better and better until it corded. I remember Jeff Burch and Glenn going to nationals and taking what we all called "thin to wins" to use in the championship race. Show me someone trying that with the new RA1 or the RR. So I assume the higher up within NASA were lied to by Toyo. There is no other reason for them to say what they said about the new RA1 when it is obviously not true. Can you imagine the first group of NASA Texas CMC racers like Al, Todd, Eric, Wayne, Adam Jeff Brooks and the other pioneers being told their tires would go away after 12-14 heat cycles. My guess is the class would have never gotten off the ground here in Texas. I certainly do understand why Toyo would not want a race tire to last without falloff. If our class is a TOYO class I don't see what we can do about it. It seams to me they have us by the short hairs.

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 02-14-2020 at 02:40 PM.