Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened?

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    JJ, I feel your pain, I am having flashbacks right now. I assume you had a good balancer on the front, I think the stock oil pump gears can't handle the harmonics or something. Get the billet steel gears if you stick with the mod motor. Let me know if I can help, I can check the local scrapyards if needed. Frank

Senior Member Rookie
    Jerry, that is bad. Sorry to hear it is that bad. If I can help, please let me know. Rough weekend for engines and other parts.

Chuck
    CMC#14

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Jerry, that is bad. Sorry to hear it is that bad. If I can help, please let me know. Rough weekend for engines and other parts.

Chuck
    CMC#14
    Chuck,
    Thanks for the offer but just being able to use your hoist is all I need from you. Damn that thing is nice wit the new handle on it! Chuck's engine hoist lives at my house half the year and back at his house the other half.

Thanks to Chuck and and David Donovan for offering so much.

JJ

Blog Entries
    I sent a letter to DSS Racing asking why they thought the oil pump broke. I told them everything I could think of about the car and what is on/in it. Here is his response. I'm posting this incase anyone else is running the Shit Steeda underdrive set-up.

Jerry,
    The only time we've seen pump gear failures here has been with the Steeda
    under drive kit and with others that move the balancer out from its stock
    location. Because the pump is driven directly from the crankshaft,
    vibration or harmonics created gets directly transmitted to it. You can not
    move the balancer out with a spacer or use an inferior quality balancer on
    the 4.6 style engines or you run the risk of a failure like what you had.
    If we use an under drive style balancer we prefer to use Innovators West
    (about a $425 piece). They make a high quality item, Ford Racing has used
    them for some of their high end applications as well. I don't think a
    billet oil pump fixes your problem but it would not break in the same
    fashion as this one did. Thanks
    Eric
    DSS Racing

Also I want to say I'm sorry for Marshall and Rob for taking their beds away for Sat. night. After the engine broke (and I pretty much knew what it was) I was not really in the mood to stay at the track.

DL has a great deal on a motor and a guy in S. Austin says he has a Brand New crate engine from Ford that he only wants $1800.00 for and he already told me he would take $1500.00. I really doubt this is brand new but I have ask for pictures and we will see. Either way it looks like we will go back to the iron block and the extra 70-75 lbs. on the nose. I will build another Aluminum engine in the off season and try it again. I had almost 3 grand on the one that just blew up so I'm not in a hurry to spend that kind of money right now. Even if these Mod motors are the bomb (and I have my doubts right now) the parts are high as hell. Just the gaskets are a fortune.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Jerry,
    No worries, I bunked in Al's icebox on Saturday night. Sorry about the motor, I understand your angst.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    No problem on the early exit either Jerry. Ross and his girlfriend Jessica put me in their spare bedroom not far from the track. Thanks Ross and Jessica!
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I sent a letter to DSS Racing asking why they thought the oil pump broke. I told them everything I could think of about the car and what is on/in it. Here is his response. I'm posting this incase anyone else is running the Shit Steeda underdrive set-up.
    Thanks for sharing Jerry. It's something to consider as we consider getting BFP back together...we've had the Steeda UDP on the car since 2006.

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar
    Ive got the Steeda underdrive set up on mine as well. That info from DSS is actually the first negative thing I have ever heard about it.
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFirePony View Post
    Thanks for sharing Jerry. It's something to consider as we consider getting BFP back together...we've had the Steeda UDP on the car since 2006.
    Yeah. I was thinking of getting them, too. Good to know.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Blog Entries
    I looked on Google and found a thread where eight of the best engine builders in the country say not to run anything but the stock balancer or the AIT or Innovations West. Even Innovations West says their 15% underdrive unit does not do as good a job damping the harmonics as their full size unit does. I probablly broke it (or weakened it) myself. Once in R1 I went from fifth to fourth but got second. It turned a million RPMS and this (over 6500) is when this is supposed to be a problem. I will try and find the post and link it up so you all can read it. DSS is not the only people saying it.

JJ