Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Scientific evaluation of Camaro/Mustang performance parity

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar
    There are way too many factors there between three different cars on three different agendas for it to be valid in any way. In this particular case you had one driver minding the gap to second, the second place driver pushing hard to catch up, and the third place car doing a damn good job to drive a car that was trying to fall apart on him mid-race. Not to mention unkown tire age on all three cars. This isnt Rolex racing where everyone straps on a brand new identical set of slicks. Everyone has got tires of differing ages and useful life on. The only useful data set for this type of comparison is gonna be if you can get it during some type of practice or testing session with one driver driving all cars. Oh and the driver would need to be a pro. And after all that nobody would agree with that data either.
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlingle View Post
    There are way too many factors there between three different cars on three different agendas for it to be valid in any way. In this particular case you had one driver minding the gap to second, the second place driver pushing hard to catch up, and the third place car doing a damn good job to drive a car that was trying to fall apart on him mid-race. Not to mention unkown tire age on all three cars. This isnt Rolex racing where everyone straps on a brand new identical set of slicks. Everyone has got tires of differing ages and useful life on. The only useful data set for this type of comparison is gonna be if you can get it during some type of practice or testing session with one driver driving all cars. Oh and the driver would need to be a pro. And after all that nobody would agree with that data either.

The data is not just from Hallett. I understood it to be from most if not all of the events this year. So the Hallet 40 may affect the data, but I don't see that removing it from the file affecting the results. If it easy to see though - go to the "Data" tab and remove all the Hallett R4 entrys.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Al, sorry if I was harsh on my comments. I was a little skeptical. ;^)

First off, it shows Cresson, TWS, and Hallett race 1 + 3's. Dan and James both have 6 laps at 100% and I have 4 (since I missed TWS).
    I feel the "data" tab spells it out nicely and it is interesting to see where each person gets their fast lap.
    The data tells me that Dan is super fast out of the gate (higher tire pressures), James is fast from the start and stays fast throughout, and I am a slow starter but strong in the middle of the race. (from a fast lap perspective)

Fast Laps:
    Dan: lap 2 (x2), 3 (x2), and 7 (x2)
    James: lap 2, 4, 9 (x2), 10 (x2)
    Michael: lap 5, 7, 8, and 18

It would be nice to color-code the dots for each race to get a little clearer picture.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Blog Entries
    I think Dan also uses nitrogen. That will help early race lap times alot. The tire is set closer to ideal pressures since there is not as much compensation needed for growth like there would be for air. So if ideal pressure for best laptimes is 35 hot (just a number i picke out of the blue) and you and I run just air, we may start out at 25-27 and he will start at 30-32 (again, just numbers randomely picked). So who would be faster out the gate? Guy w/ nitrogen - he can make the early race passes w/ ease and confidence since the tire does not change much pressure wise. The tire still needs to be up to temp, and that is easier to do on the warn-up lap w/ higher pressures.
    If I'm wrong Dan about the nitrogen, please correct me.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    I think Dan also uses nitrogen.
    No. We would if I thought it was an advantage. In my opinion, it doesn't make sense in a series without pit stops. The advantage is controlling the moisture content so you know how much the pressure is going to grow when it heats up. Typically, we have already had each newly mounted tire up to temp and andjusted its pressure before we have a race on it.

Richard P.

Don't worry, there is a major event coming soon that will have all platforms in attendance that will yeald plenty of great data.
    Last I heard, Proctor and Mosty aren't going to be there. Nieither are Wurtz, Kellam, or Burch...

Richard P.

Blog Entries
    So data form anyone else is not worth anything?

So data form anyone else is not worth anything?
    I don't personally have a good feel for the relative capabilities of the other competitors that will be there.

Richard P.

Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    I don't personally have a good feel for the relative capabilities of the other competitors that will be there.

Richard P.
    I do! Ander's, Kent, Derek, and Bob are the fastest guys out there in CMC and Glenn/Adam would agree. The data from Ander's S197, Kent's LT1, Derek's LS1, and Bob's 3rd gen is as good as it gets.

Sidney

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    I do! Ander's, Kent, Derek, and Bob are the fastest guys out there in CMC and Glenn/Adam would agree. The data from Ander's S197, Kent's LT1, Derek's LS1, and Bob's 3rd gen is as good as it gets.

Sidney
    Wouldn't it be cool if we could run them all together to verify...

Richard P.