Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Four race format. Every day, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    I know some/most folks don't like the summer heat.
    Another example of not knowing what I was missing on this one. I skipped July and August events from 2006-2010 because I hated being on track in the extreme heat. Since I had to miss the spring TWS in 2011 due to work conflict I decided to go to the August event. The heat did take its toll on car count but the event was great and had some of my favorite duels with Dr. Frank that weekend. Renting the RV for the A/C and shower definately took the edge off though.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    Not long ago, Jerry changed the track layout at SPIR from Saturday to Sunday - anyone familiar with SPIR knows it can be a VERY unforgiving track if you make a mistake. A few folks bitched, but the world didn't come to an end, cats and dog still fought with one another, and there wasn't massive carnage. You had to pay attention to the flag stations and to the cones.....no different than any other time being on track.

Folks, you need to quit your whining, and try something different. Racing in 5 different regions around the US has taught me a few important things - things change, nothing stays the same, and a 40 minute race, even in 100 degree heat, isn't the end of the damn world. We did a 40min race at Buttonwillow in 107^. The floor of the car showed 155^. We all survived.

Good luck trying to get this group to change, Dave. It's your region.....give them a month heads up, and just f'n do it.
    Last edited by Adam Ginsberg; 07-16-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    AI/CMC in Texas seems to be growing very nicely. The work Dave has done in TX is incredible and greatly appreciated, and the car count is showing!!

Little change in format + Dave B = success :^)
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    Change for the sake of change + change for the hope of change = hope & change = liberal thinking that there is something wrong. Or global warming.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Randy for Pres!
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AI#97 View Post
    Randy for Pres!
    I still think MFW (either of them) should run... Presidential motorcade would be pink, but I guess folks would get used to it. That way, nobody has to give any point by's....

Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rleng1 View Post
    Change for the sake of change + change for the hope of change = hope & change = liberal thinking that there is something wrong. Or global warming.
    If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is!
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Junior Member Rookie
    Just tell me when and where, we will do our best to be there! I am not going to bitch about getting to do something most people could only hope to do!!!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ginsberg View Post
    Not long ago, Jerry changed the track layout at SPIR from Saturday to Sunday - anyone familiar with SPIR knows it can be a VERY unforgiving track if you make a mistake. A few folks bitched, but the world didn't come to an end, cats and dog still fought with one another, and there wasn't massive carnage. You had to pay attention to the flag stations and to the cones.....no different than any other time being on track.

Folks, you need to quit your whining, and try something different. Racing in 5 different regions around the US has taught me a few important things - things change, nothing stays the same, and a 40 minute race, even in 100 degree heat, isn't the end of the damn world. We did a 40min race at Buttonwillow in 107^. The floor of the car showed 155^. We all survived.

Good luck trying to get this group to change, Dave. It's your region.....give them a month heads up, and just f'n do it.

Couple things (I know - why do I bother....).
    Adam –
    You went to race other regions knowing good and well it would be different, just like any racer here would do when they left this region to do the same. So that example does not apply here. It only proves that you liked the change you saw. You fell in 1 of 2 groups – those who do like change and those who don’t like change.

General thoughts to the group-
    The other issue is the change that was planned for Hallett was not announced to the general masses and was only provided here once I did so w/in minutes of me finding out. Change is acceptable, when it is announced w/ proper lead time. Lots of folks take time off work and spend money that is not refundable weeks and months in advance based off the established norm. They plan drops/missed events based off of established norms. If the established norm was random formats, then this would not be an issue, but random is not the norm. Obviously this is a big deal in a CUSTOMER oriented business. So as the owner of the business, Dave has the right to make changes as he wishes. As customers we have the right to complain about said changes and not continue “shopping” here anymore. Dave has the knowledge to deal w/ that and I’ll not second guess him there.
    Now, if Dave makes a change and announces it well in advance, I’m good with that as are most people. I don’t think everyone who is happy w/ the lead time of the announcement will attend though, so don’t confuse the two. If the “new format” event has a 50% drop in customers, it is safe to say that more than 50% disliked the change as surely some will attend only to maintain points leads and stuff like that but still dislike the change.

One other perspective to keep in mind.
    Regions that are established based on random formats and stuff like that tend to retain folks who like that sort of thing. Regions that maintain standard formats and are known for what to expect from event to event, seem to retain folks who like that sort of thing. When change is introduced, you have to expect some kick-back. After all, we seem to love our 4 race weekend formats w/ 2 of those being inverts. Seems to mix things up pretty good. Add in a the Hallett format and I see some fair amount of variety. Add to that the few Enduro races and it seems like a good mix for the amount of racers we have.

Dave can force a change. Some folks will like it, and some will not. Dave can risk running off a few customers and risk retaining the same number as well. It will either show Dave it was a good thing or a bad thing. I’m all for trying something new, I just want to know about it well in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Terlingua 121 View Post
    Just tell me when and where, we will do our best to be there! I am not going to bitch about getting to do something most people could only hope to do!!!
    Mike, I'm with you. If its generally black with a few deviations from dead straight, something green either side of the black and with any luck a few guys near me willing to race I'm there. If I ever get in a points race maybe I'll think different. For me right now developing a car, seeing the improvement (in car and driver) and keeping up with the field is why I spend hours in the workshop and why I turn up whenever I can. So long as the format keeps things competitive and close with some good laughs after I'm there....