Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stoptech question

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey_SS View Post
    Yes. David Donovan helped me acquire the super secret hardware kit a while back. It helps for the first session or two on fresh hubs, after that there's enough play in the hubs to need to tap the brake in the straights. Depending on the track, weather, and how I set the car up, I can lose enough bearing pre-load to cause pad knock back in a single session. Hallett is probably the worst, with TWS a close second. After a while you just get used to tapping the brakes in the straights and learn to live with it.
    flip the washers. BTW...we found the pad knockback was coming from the rear of the car... Front hubs suck but the rear axles get shorter and move around a lot. Camaro hubs suck balls.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rpoz27 View Post
    flip the washers. BTW...we found the pad knockback was coming from the rear of the car... Front hubs suck but the rear axles get shorter and move around a lot. Camaro hubs suck balls.
    The super secret washers are flat. I read an earlier post of yours about new axles helping with the knockback and decided to give it a shot sometime last year. New axles, new C-clips, rebuilt the rear calipers, fresh rear pads, etc. No dice. As you said, Camaro hubs just suck balls. They're great fresh out of the box...for a few laps and then not so much anymore. Timkin has a newer design with less taper in the barrel to presumably house a slightly larger outer bearing. My local Autozone has been stocking them since last summer. They're actually lasting quite a bit longer than the old ones but still aren't anything close to a solution. There are however some interesting things possible with 3rd gen hubs, Vette hubs, and some higher end SKF / Cortex stuff. Most of it would only be legal in AI but it's not an unsolvable problem if I were to make it a priority. For now, it's cheaper to keep throwing free warranty replacements at it and driving around the problem. As long as I'm racing on RA1's. Throw some RR's or Hoosiers on my car and my attitude would probably change pretty quick.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29