PDA

View Full Version : So, what did you do today?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13

Fbody383
01-11-2016, 12:52 PM
Plan is to get it in the car this weekend and let it run on jackstands before dyno on the 14th. Drivetrain is in and car is on skates. Boy-child's Camry needed a rescue towing and is now in the way. Planning to get transmission fluid in it tonight and see what kind of noise it makes.

I know I'm in it for 2nd gear, blocker ring, and 1-2 synchro hub. I'll likely do 3-4 syncs ad well. Gonna need wave washers, snap rings, probably do keys, definitely fork pads, plus whatever else is worn. That car has 120k on it. Snap rings are a kit, fork pads are cheap and i'm in the stock plastic camp, keys means you're all the way in but worth it if it's apart. Get it apart before ordering so you can take a good look at the bearings.

Supercharged111
01-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Snap rings are a kit, fork pads are cheap and i'm in the stock plastic camp, keys means you're all the way in but worth it if it's apart. Get it apart before ordering so you can take a good look at the bearings.

That's the plan. Work schedule is looking pretty full, probably going to be driving the truck until fall now. :( In fact it's so bad, I need to get a dyno scheduled in the next few weeks. Good thing my turd is pretty much ready to go.

On a side note, I just spent $165 to have eight 36# injectors cleaned and flow tested by Injector Experts (includes return shipping) for my tow pig in anticipation of the Whipple on the shelf. I've used Witch Hunter in the past, but their lack of desire to answer the phone or my email forced me to deviate. Hopefully these guys are legit. Witch Hunter served me good in the past, but this time when I had questions they weren't there and their website implies that they're entirely too busy to bother answering your questions so fuck 'em.

Fbody383
01-13-2016, 03:02 PM
Put trans fluid in and ran the silly thing in gear for a bit - no strange noises and seems to shift ok with the MGW. Going to run it in a little more tonight on jackstands and dyno the silly thing tomorrow. What could possibly go... wait, don't answer that.

Supercharged111
01-13-2016, 07:14 PM
Put trans fluid in and ran the silly thing in gear for a bit - no strange noises and seems to shift ok with the MGW. Going to run it in a little more tonight on jackstands and dyno the silly thing tomorrow. What could possibly go... wait, don't answer that.

2014 I went to the dyno 4 times and still never fixed my issues. Took 3 tries last year and finally succeeded. Maybe this year I'll nail it in 2x.

Pranav
03-28-2016, 04:16 AM
Despite my 4 month hiatus from racing, I've been quite busy.

There was the TDE event late last month, and the whole trans output bushing debacle.

Went ahead and reinforced my trans mount pickup points from underneath last weekend, hopefully the cracking should stop.

Spent a solid 2 days replumbing my fuel system the right way, just wrapped it up yesterday.

Currently working on finally getting that AFFF fire system put in the car after it has sat on my garage floor for four years.. Hoping to get some better side mirrors put in and bolt the passenger seat and harness back in tomorrow evening, and I'll be all set for next weekend. Doing TDE event here at MSRH.

After that, one or two more weekends of work on the car, then may try catch the OTD event at TWS right after our NASA event there (that I have to miss, for a wedding). Hoping not too many of you guys skip out on NOLA in May.

marshall_mosty
03-28-2016, 05:48 AM
Got a recall notice from Acura that the airbag inflator could explode and send shrapnel into my face... So it's at the dealer until parts arrive... In mid-JUNE... While at the dealer last week, there was a hail storm. Now my car has hail damage.

Same storm the hit my car also probably totaled our roof at home, but more importantly, the satellite dish somehow punched a hole in our roof from one of the support legs. It's big enough for me to put my fist thru... The ironic part is we don't use satellite anymore and I just never pulled the dish down. Now I get to deal with a himeowner's claim for a new roof, fix the hole, hope it doesn't rain soon.

On a "good" note, I did continue to throw money at #67 and replace the MAF with an entirely new unit and also replace the intake tubing. I have a dyno on 13-Apr, so hopefully I can get the engine to run right.

BryanL
03-28-2016, 11:15 AM
Spent a solid 2 days replumbing my fuel system the right way, just wrapped it up yesterday.

What is the "Right Way"? Meaning what did you do and/or use?

Pranav
03-28-2016, 01:42 PM
6AN PTFE braided hose running straight from the fuel pump/filter to the rails, through the cabin in one piece, with no bulkhead connections. Previously I had bulkhead connections, so I went from 14 fittings down to 6, less chances to leak as I've caught a couple of the bulkheads producing residue over time.

I used high temperature, liquid tight metallic electrical conduit that have bulkhead connections at entry/exit, so all I had to do is snake the hose through the conduit in one piece and hook it up on both ends outside of the car. The liquid tight conduit allows me to pass the fuel line through the cabin safely with crush/heat/abrasion/cut protection along with complete isolation from myself since it is essentially metal pipe sealed off from the cabin at entry/exit.

I also ditched the Russell 6AN to tube adapters as 3/4 of them were seeping, and at TWS last year I had a close call when the locking nut backed off and fell off the return fitting on the rail/FPR; I had 6AN bungs TIGed to a new pump and the supply rail for a secure connection.

Passenger rail got an Aeromotive FPR in stock location (per ruls) set to 43.5PSI with a 6AN fitting screwed into it. I tried to see if I could just TIG a fitting directly onto a new, stock FPR, but wasn't comfortable heating that thing up during the TIG process and trying it out as an "expriment" so I ponied up the extra $100 for the Aeromotive that allowed me to simply screw in a 6AN fitting. I also considered TIGing the bung on to the detachable pipe that pushes in to the FPR, but I have had an incident before where that clip had popped off and the connection started spraying.

That WRL COTA incident got me skurred...

Pranav
03-28-2016, 01:54 PM
Got a recall notice from Acura that the airbag inflator could explode and send shrapnel into my face...

My first car was an '02 Accord, THE ground zero car for the whole Takata airbag mess. I believe a good majority of the fatalities have been in '01-'02 Accords when they started having more parts made in Mexico.

That thing had been hooned and jumped all over the place (AutoX, Drag, Road rallyes), and it lived in a high humidity environment its entire life (#1 factor for the inflator corrosion problem). I got the letter in the mail 3 months after I dumped it at Carmax back in '10. I had a minor freak out when some poor guy in the area was killed by the airbag in a minor collision, in an '02 Accord just like mine last year. Fortunately I found that it was not my car. Thanks Honda.

Rob Liebbe
03-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Not today, but last Thursday I had rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder. 4-6 weeks in a sling and then I can start therapy. Fun!!!

ShadowBolt
03-28-2016, 04:24 PM
Not today, but last Thursday I had rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder. 4-6 weeks in a sling and then I can start therapy. Fun!!!

Sounds like a blast Rob. You should be good to go for Hallett.

Jerry

Rob Liebbe
03-29-2016, 05:04 PM
I'll be the one-armed drinker at TWS.

marshall_mosty
03-30-2016, 08:16 AM
I'll be the one-armed drinker at TWS.

Good luck with rehab Rob. Therabands will be your best friend/enemy for the next six months.

Fbody383
03-30-2016, 01:08 PM
Vicodin will be your best friend/enemy for the next six months. Fixed that for Rob.

Rob Liebbe
03-30-2016, 05:24 PM
Fixed that for Rob.

If I was on Vicodin, I would drive like you.

I quit Hydrocodone 3 days after surgery. That stuff will mess you up.

Fbody383
03-31-2016, 08:25 AM
I quit Hydrocodone 3 days after surgery. That stuff will mess you up. When I had my ACL done, I had a clean-up surgery and slept in a spring loaded brace to keep my leg straight. I was taking 2 every 4 hours to sleep. Got my clock math off one night and when I had the whole body tingle figured I was probabably on the high side of dosing.

Supercharged111
03-31-2016, 09:00 AM
When I had my ACL done, I had a clean-up surgery and slept in a spring loaded brace to keep my leg straight. I was taking 2 every 4 hours to sleep. Got my clock math off one night and when I had the whole body tingle figured I was probabably on the high side of dosing.

Pfft, I was walking 3 days after my 2nd ankle surgery.

michaelmosty
03-31-2016, 10:07 AM

Wuss, I was walking immediately after breaking my collarbone.

Rob Liebbe
03-31-2016, 01:16 PM

I walked the same afternoon of my knee surgery - then the nerve block wore off - HOLY S**T!!!!!!! - that hurt.

marshall_mosty
03-31-2016, 04:47 PM
I felt like a hero the day of (and after) both my shoulder and knee surgery... Then day 2 happened and I was reduced to a pile of goo while tapping out my long term and breakthrough meds and wishing I could have more.

Rob Liebbe
03-31-2016, 05:13 PM
Surgery recovery is not my favorite activity.

Supercharged111
03-31-2016, 11:42 PM
Wuss, I was walking immediately after breaking my collarbone.

That's solid, I've got nothing to one up you with there without gross fabrication.

I walked the same afternoon of my knee surgery - then the nerve block wore off - HOLY S**T!!!!!!! - that hurt.

I got a nerve block on the first go, but not the 2nd. I suspect a 3rd is in my future, but I need to let a year pass first. That nerve block is incredible, I was attempting to crutch my way into the house returning from the hospital but I was stuck. I looked down and realized my limp casted leg was snagged on the underside of the threshold to my house. Thought that was pretty cool.

Fbody383
04-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Well, yesterday.... unloaded the car and changed the power steering hoses.

(and got the trans stuck in 4th. Again. Yes; we rebuilt it in January)

mach1
04-04-2016, 03:37 PM

I feel your pain ive had my trans out between every race

Rob Liebbe
04-04-2016, 04:38 PM

Sounds like you need to fire the builder. That's what I did after I had my transmission in and out 4 times trying to do it myself.

dtanker65
04-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Illicit Motorsports seems to be able to assemble a trouble free box. AI/CMC shop as well fwiw.

Fbody383
04-04-2016, 04:58 PM
Sounds like you need to fire the builder. That's what I did after I had my transmission in and out 4 times trying to do it myself. I did... after he went through it twice. This was my first go at it. I'm starting to think the 3/4 fork is bent. I'm gonna blame the help anyway.

Illicit Motorsports Talking to a Dallas shop Patterson recommended first. But thanks for the thought.

Supercharged111
04-04-2016, 06:30 PM
I did... after he went through it twice. This was my first go at it. I'm starting to think the 3/4 fork is bent. I'm gonna blame the help anyway.

Talking to a Dallas shop Patterson recommended first. But thanks for the thought.

Do you have the aluminum or iron 3-4 fork?

mach1
04-04-2016, 07:42 PM
I did... after he went through it twice. This was my first go at it. I'm starting to think the 3/4 fork is bent. I'm gonna blame the help anyway.

Talking to a Dallas shop Patterson recommended first. But thanks for the thought.

Dederich does good work.

marshall_mosty
04-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Sent mine to Tony at Astro Performance Transmissions.

Suck fumes
04-04-2016, 10:49 PM
Illicit Motorsports seems to be able to assemble a trouble free box. AI/CMC shop as well fwiw.

I second this. Jason built my gearbox 3yrs ago and it's never skipped a beat.

Supercharged111
04-05-2016, 12:50 AM

But you shift like my grandma.

Rob Liebbe
04-05-2016, 07:16 AM
Another T-56 rebuild source a bit closer to home.

Call Glen Busak at Rosehill Performance http://www.rosehillperformanceparts.com/.

I have his cell as 713-742-3673 but it has been a while since I talked to him, number may have changed. Tony at Astro Perfromance recommended him as a local re-builder instead of shipping to Florida. Glen is west of Tomball off 2920.

JMR81
04-05-2016, 07:35 AM

Jason also rebuilt ours and no problems

www.illcitmotorsports.com

Suck fumes
04-05-2016, 07:51 AM
But you shift like my grandma.

And that's a bad thing? Doesn't seem to hurt my performance haha

Supercharged111
04-05-2016, 08:51 AM
And that's a bad thing? Doesn't seem to hurt my performance haha

I've been told before that banging gears has little effect on my lap time and you prove that point, but I have very little willpower and a nuke-proof T56 so I slam on that junk.

Al Fernandez
04-05-2016, 08:00 PM
You're all wusses. I fell of my bike and broke my arm, got back on the bike and rode home hands free since I needed my good hand to hold my now broken arm.

marshall_mosty
04-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Had Farmer's out to walk what I thought was a hail damaged roof... Turns out it was defective shingles that "blistered". Thankfully I'm 4 years and 9 months into the 5 year labor guarantee and the shingles were guaranteed for 20 years against defects...

At least I don't have to put up the 1.5% deductible amount...

Supercharged111
04-06-2016, 12:38 AM
You're all wusses. I fell of my bike and broke my arm, got back on the bike and rode home hands free since I needed my good hand to hold my now broken arm.

Doesn't count if said broken arm wasn't utilized to get home.

Fbody383
04-06-2016, 08:50 AM
iron 3-4 fork? Steel. Plan is to pull it tonight and crack it open. I can use the one out of the parts car for TWS but want a decent build for Hallett.

Pranav
04-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Took another snowboarding trip this past weekend.

On the SW flight home from last night, we flew right past the airport then made a huge loop around Houston. Pilot gets on to explain that we're burning off fuel and that they are having problems with the spoiler flaps. Landed faster than usual using brakes and thrust, and got to sit on the end of the runway and wait while the fire dept watched the brakes cool off before taxiing back to the gate.

Got a nice apology note and voucher for the trouble.

ShadowBolt
04-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Took another snowboarding trip this past weekend.

On the SW flight home from last night, we flew right past the airport then made a huge loop around Houston. Pilot gets on to explain that we're burning off fuel and that they are having problems with the spoiler flaps. Landed faster than usual using brakes and thrust, and got to sit on the end of the runway and wait while the fire dept watched the brakes cool off before taxiing back to the gate.

Got a nice apology note and voucher for the trouble.

You are lucky to be able to fly to Denver with Southwest. For years SW did not fly into Denver. Prices were as much or higher as they are now way back in the mid 80's.

Jerry

Pranav
04-06-2016, 12:17 PM
All of my SW flights to Denver have been pretty cheap, usually no more than $250 roundtrip for reasonable times.

I went super cheap on this one since I was going by myself and wanted to save on cost; 6am flight out and 7pm flight back would've been $190 if I paid for it, booked with what was rouhgly $100 in credit card points. Getting the $100 sorry voucher back made this pretty much a free deal...

Pranav
04-06-2016, 12:23 PM
They are getting more expensive though. I've got four flights in a row booked with United right now because they were a ton cheaper than Southwest.

Supercharged111
04-06-2016, 08:51 PM
You were in my back yard.

Pranav
04-07-2016, 12:10 AM
Breckenridge your backyard?

Rob Liebbe
04-07-2016, 07:38 AM
Pranav, next snowboard trip you need to wear the "Stig's Indian cousin" outfit on the slopes. Pics and vids required.

JMR81
04-07-2016, 07:48 AM
They are getting more expensive though. I've got four flights in a row booked with United right now because they were a ton cheaper than Southwest.

Thank you your continued patronage will ensure that Jack #81 will continue to enjoy a new set of tires every race weekend.

Supercharged111
04-07-2016, 09:31 AM
Breckenridge your backyard?

No, but DIA is only an hour away.

Pranav
04-07-2016, 03:33 PM
Pranav, next snowboard trip you need to wear the "Stig's Indian cousin" outfit on the slopes. Pics and vids required.

You mean this one?

Rob Liebbe
04-07-2016, 05:34 PM
Yep, that'll do.

michaelmosty
04-11-2016, 09:25 AM
You mean this one?

That is awesome!!!
Does anyone have the famous Pranav group pic from TWS a few years ago?

Pranav
04-11-2016, 11:21 AM
Ran in Yellow group with an instructor with TDE at MSRH this past weekend. Found a few things that needed improving but was able to get some quality learning on.

It's a great weekend when you spend more time working on the trailer than the car.

Going to try run the WRL Friday practice later this month if they actually hold it. 6 more weeks!

Does anyone have the famous Pranav group pic from TWS a few years ago?

Sorry, it has been lost to history. No clue where it went.

marshall_mosty
04-13-2016, 04:18 PM
Went to the dyno today to hopefully show that my gremlins are resolved... After MSRC, I ordered a new intake pipe, MAF housing, and MAF electronics.

Got it on the dyno and it's running like crap... MAF reference voltage is all over the place at idle. Ended up putting a used sensor in the old MAF housing and it worked.. No freaking clue why. All I know is it appears to be fixed.

Ended up basically the same as before:

340/360 ABS tune
3240 min

359/378 no-ABS tune
3232 min

I'll run a 3240 sticker weight

mach1
04-13-2016, 04:39 PM
All I know is it appears to be fixed.

Great news!

Rob Liebbe
04-14-2016, 08:24 AM
To the far right....

Fbody383
04-14-2016, 11:39 AM
we need more group pictures

RichardP
04-14-2016, 12:25 PM
I agree...

Pranav
04-19-2016, 12:13 PM
Got some more wrenching in this weekend. Did brakes, Fixed random stuff around the car and raised my ride height a tiny bit. Off for an alignment tomorrow then ready for this weekend's ra... oh no that's right...

Fbody383
04-19-2016, 03:34 PM
Put the T56 back together... again.... again on Sunday afternoon. Just have to remember where to put the stupid shift rod so it doesn't go into 4th too many times putting the case together. Back in the car tomorrow, racing on Saturday.

ShadowBolt
04-19-2016, 04:14 PM
Got some more wrenching in this weekend. Did brakes, Fixed random stuff around the car and raised my ride height a tiny bit. Off for an alignment tomorrow then ready for this weekend's ra... oh no that's right...

I hope not many more guys miss the race this weekend because their Mommy will not let them race.

Sorry Pranav I had to get in one more and you set me up.

JJ

mach1
04-19-2016, 04:16 PM
Pranav, I will kiss TWS goodbye for you.

Pranav
04-19-2016, 04:17 PM
I hope not many more guys miss the race this weekend because their Mommy will not let them race.

Sorry Pranav I had to get in one more and you set me up.

JJ

I deserve every bit of shit I'm getting right now for it, no worries. I should've put my foot down when I booked/paid for the flight a couple of months ago; I thought maybe we would have one more shot in October.

Fbody383
04-21-2016, 08:53 AM
Drove the OIF CMC #39 onto the trailer last night. In first gear. Which was cool. We let it run on jack stands for a bit and no noises from the re-re-re-spect-built 6 speed. We'll know soon enough.

We pressed the mainshaft nose bearing ( #22 Bearing, Mainshaft Small Tapered) on approximately 0.015"-0.020" further than it had been. Looking closely it appeared to be slightly off the shoulder and after a little squeeze, had displaced some trans fluid. We think, based on all the feedback from smart transmission people that we have the right idea. After that, re-shimming, new blockers, etc. the 3-4 slider assembly measures more centered.

We can confirm that the countershaft shimming goes from unturnable to "just right" within 0.003".

Dustin, bring that pig box of yours to Hallett and we'll drink you through a rebuild.

I think we should have a 4th gear only gentleman's race in one of the TWS inverts.

RichardP
04-21-2016, 09:05 AM
Dustin, bring that pig box of yours to Hallett and we'll drink you through a rebuild.

I'd be up for a rebuild party (but not at Hallett). We've got one box stuck in fourth and are supposedly buying a spare box that we would want to go through before putting into service. There is also the possibility that we will be returning your borrowed box stuck in fourth gear...

Richard P.

mach1
04-21-2016, 09:14 AM
I think we should have a 4th gear only gentleman's race in one of the TWS inverts.

That sounds hilarious, you would have quite the advantage!

Fbody383
04-21-2016, 01:14 PM
There is also the possibility that we will be returning your borrowed box stuck in fourth gear... That's not funny.

marshall_mosty
04-21-2016, 06:36 PM
Dave would have the advantage of the race was run in reverse... Lol

Fbody383
04-25-2016, 07:28 AM
There is also the possibility that we will be returning your borrowed box stuck in fourth gear... Well, that didn't happen.

*** COMING SOON *** T56 rebuild class at the OIF Garage... stay tuned for more.

Storm Trooper
04-25-2016, 06:46 PM
Well, that didn't happen.

*** COMING SOON *** T56 rebuild class at the OIF Garage... stay tuned for more.

T56 class "How to drive in 4 gear.";)

Hood
04-26-2016, 10:49 AM
Well it's been a while since I've participated in a NASA event and I was determined to make it to the last TWS race. All I needed to do was change the oil...or so I thought. After putting the car on the lift I saw that the oil filter had a drip down the side. After an extensive investigation and a cooler adapter change I discovered that the filter adapter that is bolted to the block was split in half. Had to rob one off another engine that was on my stand but got it back together in time to leave for TWS Friday night. After changing the oil and loading it on the trailer, as I was tying the car down, I noticed oil dripping off the passenger side of the pan. Unload the car and re-rack it to find the source. After an hour of searching and finally using the 'blow talc onto the block to find the leak' method, I discover a pan stud that is pouring oil from under the nut. Apparently the flange nut was only touching the fillet on the pan and not clamping the rail tight enough to seal (I've already been through two track days and 3 races before and this never leaked). So I cut down a washer to fit the pan rail and re-installed the nut with silicone. After an hour to dry I started the engine to verify the leak was gone. After letting the car down I reach inside to kill the master and nothing happens. Engine is still running. CRAP!!! It seems that when I installed the new alternator I used a single wire type to replace the multi wire type and it has to be wired to the battery side of the switch and not the bus side. It is now 8 am Saturday morning and I haven't slept since Thursday night. So I decide that since I've missed the morning session that I will take a nap and try to get to TWS by the afternoon for tech and race on Sunday. Wound up sleeping until 8 pm but that was ok as I could tech in the morning still. Forgot to mention that earlier Friday I replaced the U-joints in the truck. Well I didn't get to really drive it until Sunday morning. As I was headed out to breakfast, I notice a massive high frequency vibration that had not been there before. In my haste I had inadvertently installed the rear driveshaft out of phase with the front shaft. Yes I marked it before I took it apart but didn't notice it going back together. So now I'm back on the lift with the truck on Sunday morning. At this point I figure there is something telling me to punt and go for the next race. Hopefully I'm in town for it. It sounds like you guys had fun though. Wish I could have been there. Mine was a valid excuse Pranav! Gotta move the zipper around to the front! ; )

Dave, I have two T56's (LS1 and LT1) that I need to go through. Can I pick your brain on parts acquisition and any tips/tricks you may have discovered?

Fbody383
04-26-2016, 10:57 AM
Dave, I have two T56's (LS1 and LT1) that I need to go through. Can I pick your brain on parts acquisition and any tips/tricks you may have discovered? Certainly. PM here (questions or get a number) or call if you have the number. My understanding is that the only difference is the front plate and input shaft.

You don't have to memorize this, read through it a couple of times and search and highlight "end play" and "preload."

TECH TIP - put the selector shaft into reverse when you're putting the main case back on.

http://www.dederichsmotorsports.com/template/_content/pdf/T56manual.pdf

Al Fernandez
04-26-2016, 09:05 PM
Crazy story Gary

Rob Liebbe
04-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Crazy story Gary

Sounded like a David Love story. Sorry David. Sorry Gary.

RichardP
04-27-2016, 12:38 PM
T56 class "How to drive in 4 gear.";)

I'm not sure the 4th gear race is the best Idea. Dave's spare transmission that he was kind enough to lend to us started not wanting to go into 4th gear at all before it locked in 3rd gear. Maybe a race with some kind of a lottery system where the gear you are stuck with is a game of chance...

Richard P.

Fbody383
04-27-2016, 01:41 PM
// words //<words words=""> ...transmission... <words words=""> // words // Still not funny

But interested in what's inside...</words></words>

Supercharged111
04-27-2016, 04:27 PM
Still not funny

But interested in what's inside...</words></words>

Sweet, you're going to be an expert by June.

marshall_mosty
04-27-2016, 04:28 PM
Had both cars looked at for hail damage..
$2,000 for the Explorer
$3,400 for the Acura

Yea!!

Fbody383
04-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Had both cars looked at for hail damage..
$2,000 for the Explorer
$3,400 for the Acura

Yea!!

Thanks for running up my car insurance...

Fbody383
04-28-2016, 12:23 PM
Sweet, you're going to be an expert by June. Box made it all weekend with nary a peep or stuck gear or nuthin'

What was crazy was that several people tracked us down to ask about T56s... "Uh... I have this LS/T56 combo in my car... it's stuck in 4th..."

Pranav
04-30-2016, 12:19 PM
Ran the WRL open track day at TWS yesterday. Lots of aborted laps for traffic, but the best complete lap I could manage was a 2:02. My last/best official NASA time was a 2:02 and I think I may have qualified at a 2:00 flat once. The car is better faster and fixed of issues since that last NASA race, just couldn't get it done yesterday. Still getting scared in turn 1.

Going to try one more time in late May if they really are going to close this summer.

Storm Trooper
04-30-2016, 08:20 PM
Still getting scared in turn 1.

Trust me, there's a fence out there and It will slowly down :o
Maybe we will get at least one more chance to break that elusive 1:59:999999999999999999999999999999999

JMR81
05-01-2016, 10:20 AM
Chin Motorsports is having an event at TWS in June. Great group, well run,no wasted time 30min. sessions with a 60 min session at the end of the day. Best run events we have done. Usually 3 run groups all with point by passing.

Pranav
05-01-2016, 10:24 AM
Chin Motorsports is having an event at TWS in June. Great group, well run,no wasted time 30min. sessions with a 60 min session at the end of the day. Best run events we have done. Usually 3 run groups all with point by passing.

I would go, but I am going to a wedding that weekend.

For now, Chin is the last event on the TWS calendar before they shutdown.

Too many damn weddings this year.

marshall_mosty
05-01-2016, 04:37 PM
Need some advise on bolt extraction.

When my three link mount let go, the second diff mount bolt (was using one of the cover bolt holes) sheared off. I tried small RH drill bits with no luck. I think this is a metric grade 8.8 bolt so it's pretty tough.

I've ordered some 1/8" center drill bits and then some LH bits. I also have easy out's once I have the hole drilled.

Are there any other techniques other than:
1. Center drill
2. LH drill bit
3. Easy out

??

39PitCrew
05-01-2016, 05:04 PM
This happened Friday at Royal Purple Raceway when I was there.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar-news/4703911-crash-rollover-injuries-drag-racer-nhra-driver-sidnei-frigo-crash-video

GlennCMC70
05-01-2016, 05:43 PM
I got mine back to a roller again. Time to find a frame shop I feelnI can trust.
Found the collapse pin sheared in the OEM column. I will need to repair that now as well.
Anyone have frame shop they can recommend in the DFW area?

Supercharged111
05-01-2016, 07:05 PM

When my three link mount let go, the second diff mount bolt (was using one of the cover bolt holes) sheared off. I tried small RH drill bits with no luck. I think this is a metric grade 8.8 bolt so it's pretty tough.

I've ordered some 1/8" center drill bits and then some LH bits. I also have easy out's once I have the hole drilled.

1. Center drill
2. LH drill bit
3. Easy out

??

Weld a nut to what's left and spin in right out. Works insanely well.

Trublu
05-01-2016, 07:16 PM

1. Center drill
2. LH drill bit
3. Easy out

??
Heat the area around what's left or the bolt (called a Dutchman where I'm from) then use a small cold chisel to back the Dutchman out. Heat is your friend

marshall_mosty
05-01-2016, 08:08 PM
Weld a nut to what's left and spin in right out. Works insanely well.

The bolt broke off below the face of the diff, so there is no way I can weld anything unfortunately...

Craig,
I'll certainly use some heat on the housing before I try and drill/spin the bolt out.

Casey_SS
05-01-2016, 08:25 PM
The bolt broke off below the face of the diff, so there is no way I can weld anything unfortunately...

Craig,
I'll certainly use some heat on the housing before I try and drill/spin the bolt out.

Is there loctite on the bolt? If so, you'll want to heat the bolt itself to loosen that stuff up. Probably also want to heat the housing around the bolt to equalize whatever thermal expansion you get from heating the bolt. Without the head, there shouldn't be any torque on the threads aside from any loctite resistance. Maybe try welding the tip of a smaller bolt to it and use that as a handle to spin it out. If it's really down in there, just keep adding tiny spot welds in the center of the bolt until you build it out enough to get to it without accidentally welding it to the case.

Supercharged111
05-01-2016, 10:35 PM
My cousin welds washers down there when he needs to get a stack going.

edrock96GT
05-03-2016, 10:07 PM
What Casey said. My shop dispatcher has gotten really good at spot welding enough of a bead that you can build it back up past the surface and then weld a nut to it. We've broken a few exhaust bolts on older cars in our shop.

dtanker65
05-04-2016, 09:37 AM
Grind a small divot in the center of the broken bolt with a small Dremel carbide burr so the drill starts centered. Drill a shallow hole with a cobalt bit for an easy out (the stubby snap on easy outs are best) If you use a hardware store easy out, grind the tip off until it fits the shallow hole. You don't want to break the easy out or drill off in the bolt. Once you have good bite with the easy out, heat the housing until the bolt unscrews with light torque.

Trublu
05-04-2016, 12:11 PM
Grind a small divot in the center of the broken bolt with a small Dremel carbide burr so the drill starts centered. Drill a shallow hole with a cobalt bit for an easy out (the stubby snap on easy outs are best) If you use a hardware store easy out, grind the tip off until it fits the shallow hole. You don't want to break the easy out or drill off in the bolt. Once you have good bite with the easy out, heat the housing until the bolt unscrews with light torque.

A good wack from a hammer to the easy out never hurt anything either

marshall_mosty
05-04-2016, 02:43 PM
I talked to one of the old guys in our proto machine shop. He gave me a cobalt bit and a higher quality center drill. He also advised to hammer the end of the easy out while I'm turning it, so matches your suggestion Dennis. Thanks for everyone's feedback!!

dtanker65
05-04-2016, 06:41 PM
I talked to one of the old guys in our proto machine shop. He gave me a cobalt bit and a higher quality center drill. He also advised to hammer the end of the easy out while I'm turning it, so matches your suggestion Dennis. Thanks for everyone's feedback!!

Don't forget the heat, a Home Depot Mapp torch is good for this.

marshall_mosty
05-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Don't forget the heat, a Home Depot Mapp torch is good for this.
Bought a torch head, so should be in good shape.

marshall_mosty
05-07-2016, 04:11 PM
Bolt removed...

Started off with the cobalt RH bit with a fair amount of cutting gel. Got down about 1/2" and switched to a LH drill bit. Added a bit of heat to the housing and when the LH bit dug in, the bolt turned right out.

The OE helicoil looked pretty jacked, so I bought a helicoil kit to re-drill and tap the hole and go back with a fresh helicoil.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

marshall_mosty
05-14-2016, 05:40 PM
Trina just walked across the stage at Texas Tech to get her BSN degree!! So proud of her grit and desire to go back to school at 41, with three kids (four if you count me, which I would), work a job, and keep our house running. She's my champion!

Fbody383
05-14-2016, 07:00 PM
Trina just walked across the stage at Texas Tech to get her BSN degree!! Pass on the AI/CMC collective congrats! That's awesome.

Trublu
05-14-2016, 08:39 PM
Caught the right front tire of the #14 car and GP of Indy. Had a blast. The car, not so much. Can't wait for the 100th 500 in a couple weeks

AllZWay
05-15-2016, 07:50 AM
Trina just walked across the stage at Texas Tech to get her BSN degree!! So proud of her grit and desire to go back to school at 41, with three kids (four if you count me, which I would), work a job, and keep our house running. She's my champion!
That is awesome. Congrats.

blk96gt
05-16-2016, 08:04 AM
Sam came over yesterday and helped get my motor out of the car. Looks like it was a head gasket. All the cylinders on the head looked pretty bad, but #7 was the worst. Passenger side head looked fine. The pistons on 7&8 were pitted from what looks like detonation, but talking to Matt White the detonation was likely happening due the water getting in the cylinder.

Larger picture here: http://i.imgur.com/wdu0wSo.jpg

marshall_mosty
05-16-2016, 05:18 PM
Sam came over yesterday and helped get my motor out of the car. Looks like it was a head gasket. All the cylinders on the head looked pretty bad, but #7 was the worst. Passenger side head looked fine. The pistons on 7&8 were pitted from what looks like detonation, but talking to Matt White the detonation was likely happening due the water getting in the cylinder.

Larger picture here: http://i.imgur.com/wdu0wSo.jpg

And you STILL won... Cheating Mustangs...

Fbody383
05-17-2016, 09:25 AM
And you STILL won... Cheating Mustangs... That's what I'm sayin... Well at least I'm running second in the Camaro Camaro Challenge. (I think)

ShadowBolt
05-17-2016, 09:58 AM
Water injection. It was used in WW in fighters.

JJ

blk96gt
05-17-2016, 01:35 PM
Couple more pictures (click for big):

Passenger side head
http://i.imgur.com/NbSnFaql.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/NbSnFaq.jpg)

#8,7,6 on head (left to right)
http://i.imgur.com/wdu0wSol.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/wdu0wSo.jpg)

#7 on head
http://i.imgur.com/XnDSVyvl.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/XnDSVyv.jpg)

http://i.imgur.com/ypgpmaYl.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/ypgpmaY.jpg)

Piston #7
http://i.imgur.com/erhEgqzl.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/erhEgqz.jpg)

If anyone has any idea on what they think happened I'm all ears. AFR was good and never saw over 210* water temps. The fact that it was the whole driver's side bank makes me think it wasn't detonation, and possibly an issue with the head gasket not being seated properly or bad machining on the block or heads.

Anyone happen to have some parts for a 5.0? Maybe I could go ahead and swap so I can break cranks and twist rods instead of destroying heads and pistons.

marshall_mosty
05-17-2016, 03:30 PM
It almost looks like it went lean and burned the piston/head and that resulted in a blown head gasket. I had that happen to me before.

Do you run an O2 in each bank?

ShadowBolt
05-17-2016, 03:38 PM
Wow look at the second to last pic. I'm having a hard time seeing a leaking head gasket doing that much damage but I don't know.
With all my 4.6 issues I have never had pitting in the head or piston. Bent valves from running what I assume was 87 octane but this is way different from any of my issues.

JJ

Fbody383
05-17-2016, 03:57 PM
...talking to Matt White the detonation was likely happening due the water getting in the cylinder. Casting porosity in the head? Did the head literally just start leaking water into the cylinder? Slowly at first, no real impact on performance, too slow to let it run hot and just got worst with heat cycles?

Just a thought. I have an opti... what do I know.

blk96gt
05-17-2016, 07:06 PM
It almost looks like it went lean and burned the piston/head and that resulted in a blown head gasket. I had that happen to me before.

Do you run an O2 in each bank?

Only one, and of course it's on the other side. I blew a fuel pump fuse at TWS back in April of last year I think it was. Never figured out what happened, but replaced the fuse ran it a few weekends and haven't had it blow since. I just don't know how a whole bank would go lean.

Casting porosity in the head? Did the head literally just start leaking water into the cylinder? Slowly at first, no real impact on performance, too slow to let it run hot and just got worst with heat cycles?

Just a thought. I have an opti... what do I know.

I'm not 100% sure. I noticed the water was a little bit low after MSR-H, but I hadn't checked it in a while and I had replaced the thermostat at one point so I know I lost a bit of water there, but not much.

marshall_mosty
05-17-2016, 09:47 PM
I've leaned out the Driver's side bank twice, so the O2 is now in that bank.

blk96gt
05-17-2016, 10:06 PM
It's always been the passenger side I've had problems with.

blk96gt
05-18-2016, 06:46 AM
I would also think that it would have thrown a code if one bank went lean.

Pranav
05-19-2016, 05:57 PM
On the flight back to Houston right now after a 4 day trip to Vegas for work, definitely in a "weakened" state right now. This trip was right after a 4 day trip to Cancun to pre-celebrate my 30th birthday (which is today).

Have to load the truck/trailer and roll out to NOLA early tomorrow morning. Flight is already delayed for a couple hours due to weather.

God help me.

marshall_mosty
05-19-2016, 11:37 PM
Happy Birthday Pranav! Hope you get home safe and then safely to NOLA.

Fbody383
05-20-2016, 02:36 PM
Have to load the truck/trailer and roll out to NOLA early tomorrow morning.
Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Take a breath, unload the car at the track, and have fun.

Trublu
05-20-2016, 07:12 PM
Drove to NOLA. Y'all are soft

Supercharged111
05-20-2016, 08:00 PM
I would also think that it would have thrown a code if one bank went lean.

Only if it goes 20% or 25% lean under light load.

I just got back from a trip involving an amphibious carrier. It was pretty awesome but now the stupid ground won't stop moving.

Pranav
05-22-2016, 08:22 PM
Add me to the "fix a broken engine by Hallet" list.

Lifted or cracked a head or something with the head gasket.

Steam purged the crankcase and exhaust, it was still running before I shut it down.

Hopefully motor out by tomorrow then figure out what went wrong next.

I was observing a couple of issues with the motor leading up to today that had me with a gut feeling something wasn't right. Now I know.

Supercharged111
05-22-2016, 09:03 PM
Dude you have THE shittiest luck.

blk96gt
05-23-2016, 07:53 AM
Kiddo said he wanted a green Mustang race car like mine for his birthday. They don't make a green one so I found a blue one and painted it. I'm a huge dork.

http://i.imgur.com/9m5Epx1l.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/9m5Epx1.jpg)

Storm Trooper
05-23-2016, 08:02 AM
Kiddo said he wanted a green Mustang race car like mine for his birthday. They don't make a green one so I found a blue one and painted it. I'm a huge dork.

http://i.imgur.com/9m5Epx1l.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/9m5Epx1.jpg)

No Your a AWESOME DAD!!!

michaelmosty
05-23-2016, 08:23 AM
Dang Pranav, that sucks to hear. I hope it ends up being an easy fix!!

Kevin, that is awesome!!!

Pranav
05-23-2016, 08:37 AM
Kevin that is awesome. Will be awesome to see a dad/son pic of the two side by side when you get yours running :D

Marshall, yeah. It's a good thing and bad thing it was running. I didn't realize something was seriously wrong until I saw the huge plume of steam/smoke coming out the back. Clutch in and it shut itself due to water in cylinder(s). Hope the bottom end didn't get dinged up too bad.

marshall_mosty
05-23-2016, 10:44 AM
Kevin, that's awesome!!

AllZWay
05-23-2016, 01:41 PM
That is way cool. Your kid has to love it.

AllZWay
05-23-2016, 01:42 PM
Pranav.. you have had some terrible luck.

Pranav
05-23-2016, 09:25 PM
Bad luck, yes, but you gotta put things into perspective. I'm 30, I still have my health, have a good job, and the only serious problem in my life is keeping a motor alive. Now if I can figure out how to keep a woman around for more than a few months...

Supercharged111
05-23-2016, 10:27 PM
Seems to me there are few problems that can't be solved by simply applying more money to them.

Rob Liebbe
05-24-2016, 07:27 AM
Seems to me there are few problems that can't be solved by simply applying more money to them.

You mean engines or women?

ShadowBolt
05-24-2016, 08:30 AM
You mean engines or women?

I have learned the answer is BOTH.

JJ

BryanL
05-24-2016, 09:21 AM
I have learned the answer is BOTH.

JJ

Truer words have never been spoken.

Fbody383
05-24-2016, 03:12 PM
I have learned the answer is BOTH. Too much money can mean women problems too.

Supercharged111
05-24-2016, 06:23 PM
Too much money can mean women problems too.

Just add more money.

Rob Liebbe
05-24-2016, 07:44 PM
Just add more money.

With both, there seems to be a vicious cycle when you add money.

Rob Liebbe
05-24-2016, 08:08 PM
Big Rig road racing in America!!!!

http://www.champtruck.us.com/index.php/2016-events2

MSR Houston Sept 10-11, 2016

Interesting that COTA was on the schedule...see below

http://www.powershiftperformance.com/schedule2016.html

Supercharged111
05-24-2016, 10:58 PM
With both, there seems to be a vicious cycle when you add money.

Just don't run out and it'll be OK.

dtanker65
05-25-2016, 09:11 AM
Just don't run out and it'll be OK.

So true. I can still remember my wife's first reaction "oh you decided to build a racecar, what a wonderful idea" If you believe that please call me because I have an investment opportunity that will gladly pay off on Tuesday.

ShadowBolt
05-25-2016, 12:56 PM
So true. I can still remember my wife's first reaction "oh you decided to build a racecar, what a wonderful idea" If you believe that please call me because I have an investment opportunity that will gladly pay off on Tuesday.

I'm guessing it was like when I told my wife I was going to learn to fly in a 1946 Aeronca Chief. That was bad but when she went to the airport and saw me hand prop start it and then get in and fly off I thought it was over. Then she saw the bare frames of a Cub and a Champ sitting in a hanger and told me she did not want me flying anymore. It did take a while to get over that one.

JJ

Pranav
05-25-2016, 08:51 PM
Looks like I should be all set to have a running car again over the weekend. Gonna dyno next week then register if everything runs right.

Thanks Sean!

Storm Trooper
05-26-2016, 09:32 PM
Anytime

Pranav
06-01-2016, 09:28 PM
10 days later, all good to go!

Thanks to Sean's LT1 depot and Records' Camaro lifting help, I'm all good now. Car dynoed well today and not seeing anything bad from the usual oil filter checks.

Really hoping I can start and end 2017 without an engine pull!

rleng1
06-01-2016, 10:45 PM
Stig, you do realize we are in 2016, don't you?

Pranav
06-02-2016, 08:11 AM
2016 is shot, missed 2 full events due to conflicts, may miss a 3rd due to another wedding; missed 2 races last weekend thanks to motor.

dtanker65
06-02-2016, 10:08 AM
2016 is shot, missed 2 full events due to conflicts, may miss a 3rd due to another wedding; missed 2 races last weekend thanks to motor.

You had a solid drive at Nola and made it to the podium. Now you have a Storm Trooper motor and you are up against the entire CMC field at Hallett. 2016 is far from over buddy, you are going to be in a national caliber CMC race at Hallett!

Fbody383
06-02-2016, 11:21 AM
Car dynoed well today and not seeing anything bad from the usual oil filter checks.

Scott: "Dave, is the oil filter on the car?"
Dave: (looks under car) "Yup."
Scott: "Filter. Check."

marshall_mosty
06-26-2016, 08:51 PM
Forgot how much of a b$&@h setting up gears is... Ugh.

Ended up with a good pattern, 0.0075 backlash, and 24 in-lb pinion drag.

Just need to stab axles once I'm back at the shop.

Fbody383
06-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Forgot how little patience I have doing things I don't like having to do on the racecar... (racecar...@h) Ugh. Fixed it for you.

marshall_mosty
06-27-2016, 10:40 AM
Fixed it for you.

I had plenty of that yesterday too.

Supercharged111
07-03-2016, 11:08 PM
I got my TX CMC fix after all, or was it more of a teaser? John Martin won R1 with an entire CMC field on RRs in the rain. Craig crossed the finish line backwards. Sketchy is an understatement. I had the pole and quickly fell back to 5th and eventually claimed 3rd due to attrition. Team Incidental Contact went from DFL to first and handed it over on the last lap when he locked going into T4. Lots of cars went off went off that race. My car did better there in the April snow wearing RA1s but the rain didn't start until we were sitting ducks on grid so so much for that. Race 2 was the end for Barney, he tried pulling over but Craig was there. Basically what Pranav did at Hallett except there was a wall waiting to claim the car. Driver is OK, but the car is done. From there Ken led the whole race. I just couldn't get by him and Craig was up my ass for a bit too, those first few laps were fun. Fast forward to Sunday and all of a sudden the whole field is picking up entire seconds. I got pole again and decided to fuck that up again. I had a good start, but Ken apparently has AWD because he destroyed everyone, motored me, and took the lead into T1. I tried passing on the outside but no go. When I went to tuck in behind Ken, I couldn't find Craig so I hesitated. Turns out he was in my blind spot and then followed Ken through. At T9 Ken dropped 2 and Craig pulled alongside entering T10. Sweet! I ducked back a smidge and took 10 at full speed and cruised past Craig, but wasn't enough to take out Ken. I had to wait another lap where he bobbled leaving 10 and I was able to pick him off at the end of the straight and eventually check out. R4 was an all race group run and rain was threatening the whole time. It dripped a little throughout the race and finally got sketchy on the last lap. Perfect timing because the weather cooled off and we put down some good times. I had a 1:44.4 and Craig a 1:44.5. Craig was definitely a concern of mine entering this weekend, he's fast as Hell and I definitely wanted to defend our home turf. The margin was insignificant and it really was the racing gods that saved me as Craig seems to get tractor beamed off of T7 which is just a bitch of a corner. He picked up a lot of time and will definitely be an issue next year. I do believe John went a full second faster than last year as well but I wasn't tracking on his action outside of R1. It sounded like the TX cars were down on power this year with just a jet change, odd because I know John's car had no issues last year. It was hotter last year, so I wonder if the EFI cars were pulling timing with hot crap air and elevated coolant temps? I'll see if Pueblo has a decent dyno for you guys, if not I'd recommend RMCR (Rocky Mountain Competitive Research) as that's where a couple of us who live in Colorado Springs dyno, that way you know it's apples to apples. CO Springs is 1 hour north of Pueblo. Thanks for coming all, I hope to see you again next year. I'll cancel Italy for Hallett if that'll make us square. :)

michaelmosty
07-04-2016, 10:16 AM
While enjoying the slowest day of work on this lovely July 4th I was surfing youtube and found this video from the Isle of Mann.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRg5Sp1iQMc
Over a 17 minute lap and pretty crazy!!!

Fbody383
07-05-2016, 10:54 AM
I got my TX CMC fix after all, or was it more of a teaser? Sounds like you guys had a great time. I've told my family I'm putting it on the calendar for next year. Get a thread started with some pics/vids for us staycation slackers.

Rob Liebbe
07-05-2016, 11:41 AM
While enjoying the slowest day of work on this lovely July 4th I was surfing youtube and found this video from the Isle of Mann.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRg5Sp1iQMc
Over a 17 minute lap and pretty crazy!!!

Holy Cow!!!!!!! That was crazy.

mach1
07-05-2016, 01:21 PM
I got my TX CMC fix after all, or was it more of a teaser? John Martin won R1 with an entire CMC field on RRs in the rain.
Thanks for posting! I'd like to make it next year.

Supercharged111
07-05-2016, 07:36 PM
I'm putting together vids now, killed the camera battery and forgot to charge it for Saturday's races.

BryanL
07-06-2016, 09:48 AM
SC-What or who is Barney? So the car was totaled? Any pics of the damage?

That WRX video is so crazy. What really shocks me is where some of the fans are and how close they are. The speeds in town were amazing and the countryside views while cruising at 171 with the motor tached was awesome. I want my car to sound like that on decel.

MikeP99Z
07-06-2016, 10:30 AM
Pueblo went well in AI. The road trip was uneventful, and about 12-13 hours towing. Casey, Craig, John and I attended as well as Richie and Alan in GTS, Troy in TT1 and a few others in TT and SM.

Casey and Craig spent some time on Friday Test day to learn the track and come up to speed. John had to replace a radiator on Friday and fix a few alternator bracket bolts which sheered. John drove a great rain race on Saturday for a nice CMC win. Craig spent some time dealing with a blown strut and a few tire issues. A competitor brought down a spare for him to use, not the greatest situation, and his car was a bit off after that, but he got to race the weekend.

The rain race was interesting, as the front straight was the equivalent of a long ice patch. Wow, almost zero traction on that stretch with many cars looping it. The rest of the track except a few braking zones had decent grip, even on RRs. It started raining as we sat on grid...no one on rain tires.

AI had 5 cars for the first three races, and only Robert Ames ran race 4. I had loaded up to head back to Dallas after R3. The 5th gen Camaros of Joe and Perry looked great and are coming up to speed nicely. That was great to see, and they should be very competitive after some sorting. Casey had some overheating and brake issues which were bizarre - we couldn't track down the brake issue at the track, very weird.

Overall, I had a nice weekend, with my brother and his family, and a great friend from college coming out to see a race event for the first time. As always, Dave puts on a great event. Y'all should consider attending in the future.

Results posted here:

http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/NASA_Rocky_Mountain_Region/2016%20Official%20Results/2%20-%20PMP%20July/

MikeP99Z
07-06-2016, 11:01 AM
SC-What or who is Barney? So the car was totaled? Any pics of the damage?

Ryan's old car (the purple #50 which was sold to Robert Weston) - and it is hurt in a bad way. Dustin has a pic.

ShadowBolt
07-06-2016, 01:50 PM
Ryan's old car (the purple #50 which was sold to Robert Weston) - and it is hurt in a bad way. Dustin has a pic.

Something may have been wrong with that car. It would go back and forth from side to side when someone would try and pass. Maybe it finally broke. Widest car I ever raced against.

JJ

Fbody383
07-06-2016, 04:19 PM
Widest car I ever raced against. Yessss!!! The torch has been passed...

Supercharged111
07-07-2016, 07:12 AM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa70/supercharged111/Camaro/Barney_zpsonge2ekx.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/supercharged111/media/Camaro/Barney_zpsonge2ekx.jpg.html)

He's going to buy Ken Rockwell's copper Camaro and then either slowly fix Barney or part him out. Here's my Sunday R1 vid, no race vids from Saturday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cAWfUwWqY8

AllZWay
07-07-2016, 07:49 AM
Wow... I bet that was a heck of an impact. Car looks toast.

Fbody383
07-07-2016, 09:07 AM
Here's my Sunday R1 vid... When are you installing the cup holder?

Supercharged111
07-07-2016, 05:57 PM
When are you installing the cup holder?

Right after I drill a hole in my helmet so I can smoke while I race. :)

Supercharged111
07-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Now I wish I would have made that thread someone suggested. . . Ken broke out on the dyno so there'll be a revision to the results for Pueblo.

Fbody383
07-11-2016, 09:10 AM
Ken broke out on the dyno so there'll be a revision to the results for Pueblo. That's a drag. See should've started a thread...

Fbody383
07-11-2016, 09:26 AM
Is everything broken/under construction at your house too?

Friday kitchen counters installed, bathroom vanity top same material/same time
Rented a lift to change out the light in the 2 story entry - $200 and 3.5 hours to get setup/take-down/return lift for 15 min/3 wire light
kitchen sink fixtures and disposal and then bath sink fixtures
Switch out 2 remote dimmers switches for pool lights after changing the bulbs last weekend
replace motor/rebuild pump for pool waterfall
minor cleaning on pool auto-fill valve
start on kitchen backsplash...
mortar cracks in waterfall since it pumped couple hundred gallons into the yard

Still need to do base boards downstairs (delayed since pressure valve had to be replaced on air compressor) and the ice machine micro switch on the fridge, and A/C and driveshaft on the daily driver, and, and...

Good think Wednesday is race car night... finish up a T56 rebuild for relaxation.

39PitCrew
07-11-2016, 01:52 PM
Good think Wednesday is race car night... finish up a T56 rebuild for relaxation.

Rats. I'm going to miss out on the assembly.
Guess I'll have to dry my tears while looking at this.

marshall_mosty
07-11-2016, 02:42 PM
Very cool Scott!! When does it arrive?

Fbody383
07-11-2016, 04:11 PM
Very cool Scott!! When does it arrive? Sweet! And I think it's in the right color palette. I'll do donuts in the purple one until the ignition coughs... with the laptop recording all the while of course.

39PitCrew
07-11-2016, 07:02 PM
Very cool Scott!! When does it arrive?

Thanks!
I have to check with the Orange is Fast garage to see if I can borrow the race car
trailer to come back up to SD and retrieve it.
Lot's going on the next six weeks so not entirely sure when I'll be able to make
the marathon drive. Have decided I don't want to drive a 40 year old car 1000 miles
as the first thing I do with it. Currently the cruise and A/C are non-functioning
and I'm not certain if the radio works. Drive train was rebuilt recently. Several other
things have been restored and/or refurbished. Will be a fun car.

marshall_mosty
07-11-2016, 07:55 PM
I'd get a AAA policy and fly up and bring it back...

39PitCrew
07-11-2016, 08:39 PM
I'd get a AAA policy and fly up and bring it back...

Not sure my butt really wants to ride that far in the southbound seat.
Also, I'm picking up a dead air compressor from my f-i-l so I can add
the tank to the compressor I have in my garage. I have a 220V 5 hp
unit but on a <30 gallon tank. The dead one has a 40ish gallon tank.
combine the two with a water separator between will give me pretty
decent paint spray air and extra volume for random other stuff I do.

Rob Liebbe
07-12-2016, 07:58 AM
A friend of mine has an orange 75 L82 4 speed 'Vette, looks just like that except it has '82 nose and rear bumper cover. I think those additions look great on it.

Enjoy the new toy.

Oh, with regard to the air compressor tank, your 'Vette has a luggage rack. Just sayin'....

ShadowBolt
07-12-2016, 10:43 AM
Save your ass and have the car shipped. I think I paid $650.00 to get the 55 from N. CA. to Hutto, TX.

JJ

HoustonNW
07-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Al's old Mustang ran in its first autocross on Sunday:

https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7382/28265669495_94884e176d_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/K4JWMe)

However I wasn't driving. My son got his driver's license in May and this was his first foray on track.

Since we got the car from Al in January of 2015 my son has added a Steeda hood and front fascia that we found on Craigslist, bought and had painted a Steeda wing, added the Steeda side stripe, bought 2015 Mustang black track pack wheels (not on the car, burn up Al's old tires for his first autocross, LOL), and bought and installed the Boss Mustang fog light deletes.

All but the fog light deletes were before he even had his license so I think the next generation of ponycar guys is secure!

- Wayne

Fbody383
07-12-2016, 11:24 AM
Al's old Mustang ran in its first autocross on Sunday: Sweet; do I spy HPD concrete? And a 5th for dad and a not DFL for the boy in Novice PAX.

That's how the addiction takes hold.

Fbody383
07-12-2016, 11:27 AM
...see if I can borrow the race cartrailer... Sure. Makes some temporary room on the driveway...

Now we just have to get the purple one weather tight.

Supercharged111
07-13-2016, 12:04 AM
Still gotta redo the TT, rebalance clutch, and get the trans new syncros. Racing has seriously eaten into its time/money budget so for now it sits.

HoustonNW
07-16-2016, 10:59 AM
Sweet; do I spy HPD concrete? And a 5th for dad and a not DFL for the boy in Novice PAX.

That's how the addiction takes hold.

Yep, I was a little better on the driving course portion. And regarding the addiction, the first thing he said when we got home was that he would have been faster on better tires, lol.

marshall_mosty
07-17-2016, 08:36 PM
Found an interesting article/paper on rear diffusers.

http://www.engr.uconn.edu/~barbertj/CFD%20Training/References/Diffusers/Blevins.pdf

Supercharged111
07-17-2016, 10:29 PM
Man that's a lot of fancy book learnin' words.

michaelmosty
07-18-2016, 08:35 AM
I opened the link, saw the math calculations, and decided not to proceed....

mach1
07-18-2016, 09:03 AM
I opened the link, saw the math calculations, and decided not to proceed....

lol

Storm Trooper
07-18-2016, 07:24 PM
Found an interesting article/paper on rear diffusers.

http://www.engr.uconn.edu/~barbertj/CFD%20Training/References/Diffusers/Blevins.pdf

It's Rocket science!

RichardP
07-18-2016, 11:03 PM
It's Rocket science!

As in applies to rockets. Theoretical equations with no practical applicability to race cars. Shape of the underbody, moving ground plane, rotating wheels, variable ride height, interaction with the flow over the top of the car, etc. If you are looking to build a diffuser, this is good stuff. If you are looking to put a rear diffuser on a racecar, don't confuse yourself with this stuff...

Richard

marshall_mosty
08-13-2016, 02:40 PM
Took my driveshaft to be balanced and found it was "significantly bent" and required a new "tube" be installed. So, the cost of 41" of 3.5" 0.125" wall 6061-T6 plus cutting/welding/balancing is apparently $352... Gotta love "custom" parts. Lol

On the plus side, I took the car around the block today and no funny noises from the new gears or diff.

Also, found a loose front lower control arm bolt. Glad I checked them.

drecords
08-14-2016, 07:29 PM
Finished the new front springs/perches in #34 this weekend. Next up is to do a good setup and finish the Texas flag install on the roof.

Supercharged111
08-14-2016, 10:47 PM
Had a Texican adjuster show up today. Got $5600 check to paint the Z06 and the truck, Envoy, and trailer are all totalled. Hail FTW. I can cut corners and fix it all and put money in my pocket, same as the house with $25k damages. Gonna suck for the next 6 months rounding up all the stuff I need to make it right. Definitely a few road trips in my future hunting down matching A+ 000 body parts that are bolt on and go and trailer skin that's less than half of what these crooks are asking. It's a long road, but I can make my stuff better than before the storm and still profit so let the games begin. I hear you guys had some flooding and so did LA, so it could be worse. My stuff still works.

Pranav
09-19-2016, 12:17 AM
Opened the hood of the #51 car today.

I completely forgot that my latest motor's intake manifold is red.

Yeah it's been that long.

marshall_mosty
09-19-2016, 08:34 AM
Ran the chop saw yesterday and cut enough metal to make two carbon copies of Gary's tire rack. Next weekend I'll run the welder for about the same amount of time as the chop saw. This puppy will hold 8 RR's when it's done.

Not bad for $110 worth of material per tire rack.

Pranav
09-19-2016, 09:05 AM
Welcome to the Gary's tire rack mafia.

mach1
09-19-2016, 09:15 AM
Welcome to the Gary's tire rack mafia.

I'm interested in joining the club, details?

marshall_mosty
09-19-2016, 09:48 AM
I'm interested in joining the club, details?
Email sent.. Enjoy.

mach1
09-19-2016, 10:28 AM
Email sent.. Enjoy.

Thanks!

marshall_mosty
09-19-2016, 03:35 PM
Saw this today... Seems pretty cool.

https://www.thetrackr.com

Fbody383
09-19-2016, 04:18 PM
2016 Lone Star Le Mans - 6 hour enduro

Garage 23/24 - #7/#8 R18 Audi

If you have a chance to act as a scruitineer, at least consider it. I had the privilege of writing up the #8 car for - team members in the working area while the car was running and excessive wheel spin when it came in to get the driver side door closed. Nothing like kicking a team when they're down.

Fbody383
09-22-2016, 12:03 PM
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-porsche-959-komfort/

I'm gonna need a new job to pick this one up.

ShadowBolt
09-22-2016, 05:49 PM
Had a Texican adjuster show up today. Got $5600 check to paint the Z06 and the truck, Envoy, and trailer are all totalled. Hail FTW. I can cut corners and fix it all and put money in my pocket, same as the house with $25k damages. Gonna suck for the next 6 months rounding up all the stuff I need to make it right. Definitely a few road trips in my future hunting down matching A+ 000 body parts that are bolt on and go and trailer skin that's less than half of what these crooks are asking. It's a long road, but I can make my stuff better than before the storm and still profit so let the games begin. I hear you guys had some flooding and so did LA, so it could be worse. My stuff still works.

Saw this today... Seems pretty cool.

https://www.thetrackr.com

We made some of those in polished stainless a few years ago. I did not know what they were for ( the sheet metal part).

GlennCMC70
09-23-2016, 04:02 PM
Got my my pile to the body shop for the frame work.
Should be back home next week. Then to put the driveline back in.

Fbody383
12-03-2016, 05:18 PM
Orange. Shocks. Dead.

And repacked E36 M3 rear axle CV joints.

marshall_mosty
12-03-2016, 11:12 PM
Shocks Dead...

I never realized how much of a maintenance item they really are.

Fbody383
12-05-2016, 01:06 PM
I never realized how much of a maintenance item they really are. I didn't really want to know... but that competitive thing kicked in. There's goes another excuse. One day will have to change to "Orange is... just slow."

Supercharged111
12-06-2016, 05:55 PM
I didn't really want to know... but that competitive thing kicked in. There's goes another excuse. One day will have to change to "Orange is... just slow."

I'VE live y that mantra so far. I am curious to hear your impressions of how good shocks compare to blowed up ones.

y5e06
12-16-2016, 12:02 AM
Went into the garage. Found a bird stuck in the rafters. It has some old busted feathers. I'm trying to rehab the animal.

Supercharged111
12-16-2016, 01:07 AM
That junk ain't gonna fix itself. And why is there not a beer in your hand? You're certain that you're a CMC racer?

marshall_mosty
12-16-2016, 01:35 PM
Great to see you still have the car Morgan!! Dust it off and come racing!!!

Fbody383
12-19-2016, 01:41 PM
Found a bird stuck in the rafters. It has some old busted feathers. You need/want any LT year body panels? I "found" one on my driveway and it needs to "fly" to somebody else's roost.

marshall_mosty
12-19-2016, 06:36 PM
Car is loaded on the trailer and going to the dyno tomorrow for a few days of "love".

y5e06
12-20-2016, 11:28 PM
let me know what you have by way of IM...

You need/want any LT year body panels? I "found" one on my driveway and it needs to "fly" to somebody else's roost.
free stuff is always good.

marshall_mosty
12-28-2016, 08:22 PM
A little late to post, but had the car on the dyno last Friday and laid down two really nice 350/370 "max power" pulls and snapped the crankshaft behind the fourth main journal on the third pull. It all stayed together and made 180-185 psi on all cylinders even with the crank broken...piston 4/8 touched the heads, but looks like it didn't kiss any valves so as long as they are still true, we should be okay.

I decided to upgrade to the Ford Racing 302 "BOSS" block (4-bolt main and thick cylinder walls that allow for a 0.125 overbore). That coupled with a 4340 forged crank should make for what I hope to be a "lifetime" short block...

I dropped off the short block with Richard Painter today to tear it all down and figure out what we need to do. I'm planning on going with head studs this time around since the BOSS block uses 1/2" head bolts instead of the stock block 7/16" bolts.

Supercharged111
12-29-2016, 07:47 PM
Man you have the worse luck.

marshall_mosty
01-21-2017, 01:08 PM
Picked up my heads today. Had some "peppered" spots on one of the heads where he engine ran lean a few rebuilds ago. Shaved it just enough to clean it up. Also ended up replacing all the intake valves, 4 exhaust valves, and the valve locks.

The flywheel/pressure plate combo was only 3 grams out of balance, so I'm going to run "as-is" since the engine is dead on zero balance.

All the "magic" will happen tomorrow when the engine is back in he car and running.

Pranav
02-02-2017, 11:05 AM
Cleaned up the garage and put the car away for the first time since November. Only 1 weekend of work really required for the next race, feels good.

mach1
02-02-2017, 11:16 AM
Got my junk back on the lift, found gear oil all over the driver side of the axle around the panhard bar mount, turns out the 8.8 axle tube is ripped open where the LCA bracket is welded to the axle, crazy.

dtanker65
02-02-2017, 12:06 PM
Suspension binding?

mach1
02-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Suspension binding?

I think it's the fact that the bracket wasn't designed for the load that the PHB is putting on it.

blk96gt
02-02-2017, 12:43 PM
Are you using a PM3L?

mach1
02-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Are you using a PM3L?

yep

Supercharged111
02-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Can you patch it? I imagine gear oil soaked in will make it a pain.

mach1
02-02-2017, 04:00 PM
Can you patch it? I imagine gear oil soaked in will make it a pain.

I've got enough 8.8 housings laying around, just going to replace it.

Fbody383
02-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Got my junk back on the lift, found gear oil all over the driver side of the axle around the panhard bar mount, turns out I drove the thing so hard the axle tube ripped open where the LCA bracket is welded to the axle, crazy. I should've been in front of that Silver camaro anyway. Fixed.

I had a main power wire terminal come loose on the drive home - car starts after tech to go on the trailer and dead when I got home. Big hammer. Blunt chisel. Fixed.

And addressed the non-blinky Aussie shift light while I was in there.

Storm Trooper
02-03-2017, 09:28 AM
Fixed.

I had a main power wire terminal come loose on the drive home - car starts after tech to go on the trailer and dead when I got home. Big hammer. Blunt chisel. Fixed.

And addressed the non-blinky Aussie shift light while I was in there, and removed A pound of gravel from the storm trooper wall collision.

Fixed!

Fbody383
02-08-2017, 10:01 AM
I'll just leave this here: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2017/2/f1-car-mclaren-orange-livery.html

Paging AI132... <tap> <tap> is this thing on? AI132 where are you?

Supercharged111
02-08-2017, 04:31 PM
I'll just leave this here: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2017/2/f1-car-mclaren-orange-livery.html

Paging AI132... <tap> <tap> is this thing on? AI132 where are you?

Ya know Ferraris are red just like my car. The most winningest cars ever.

Pranav
02-18-2017, 05:47 PM
Went to get the truck inspected today.

They couldn't get either of their tests stations to talk to the computer, but I tried my own obd2 scanner and their handheld scanner, it worked fine on those.

Went down the street and their station started to connect if I wiggled their connector.

Great, so my obd2 port has a loose pin.

Take it home and start probing the pins till I find the offending one, fix it. Turns out when I did my trans flush a while ago, I shorted two pins to get the truck to go into "transmission fluid level check" mode, and the jumper I used just loosened up that one pin socket enough to piss off the inspection machine, as my own scanner apparently never uses that pin.

Get in the truck to go back but my abs/brake/VSC lights are all on.

Great, I pissed the computer off with all of the random probing and grounding of pins.

I google how to do a zero point calibration, had to disconnect battery and short two obd pins a few times in a sequence.

All lights off and head back to the station, their scanner worked but four of the emissions tests weren't ready yet so I failed.

Great, so pulling the battery causes the ECM to start over on all the readiness codes.

Went on a short trip to get the truck running for a while, stopped for gas.

All the readiness codes are good to except for the EVAP. Guess why the EVAP wouldn't reach readiness?

Because I filled up the gas tank. Most cars require something like 1/4 to 3/4 tank to cycle/test the EVAP and produce a readiness code.

Boat load of fail today.

Not sure why I even got out of bed.

GlennCMC70
02-18-2017, 06:28 PM
Should pass with a single not ready.

Pranav
02-18-2017, 06:35 PM
Oh, I assumed they would fail unless all were ready.

Was just watching with my own scanner, haven't gone back yet.

dtanker65
02-18-2017, 07:52 PM
I think you are allowed two not ready. I have driven around with the scanner attached and kept checking until it was down to two and then have it inspected again.

Pranav
02-20-2017, 11:44 PM
It passed with the EVAP not being ready. Didn't have to wiggle the obd connector this time.

Still curious which pins the state computer uses that other devices ive tried don't but glad it works.

Fbody383
02-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Well, this weekend.

Apparently LS cylinder head freeze plugs can weep - who knew? Good news it's on the passenger front and easy enough to get to.

Now, why Sean thought it was a good idea to have his hoodlum friends help change a motor in an 01 AWD Tahoe still eludes me.

Pranav
02-21-2017, 01:45 PM
RE: weeping coolant passage stuff, ACDelco makes copper cooling system seal tablets for this kind of stuff.

Apparently it is SOP per GM to add a tablet per gallon or so on a new engine and keep doing a tablet per gallon replaced of coolant in the future.

I have been doing the same on my motors since a weeping freeze plug on a brand new motor caused me some greif.

ShadowBolt
02-21-2017, 02:11 PM
First I'm shocked to find that Sean has friends.........then hoodlum friends. LOL

JJ

39PitCrew
02-21-2017, 11:18 PM
Well, this weekend.

Apparently LS cylinder head freeze plugs can weep - who knew? Good news it's on the passenger front and easy enough to get to.

Now, why Sean thought it was a good idea to have his hoodlum friends help change a motor in an 01 AWD Tahoe still eludes me.

I think we should have added another bottle of izfastium to the coolant.

Supercharged111
02-22-2017, 10:57 AM

Let me guess, it's orange.

ShadowBolt
02-22-2017, 11:16 AM

It's on the same shelf as the unobtainium.

JJ

Storm Trooper
02-22-2017, 11:26 AM
first i'm shocked to find that sean has friends.........then hoodlum friends. Lol

jj

wow! ��

ShadowBolt
02-22-2017, 01:49 PM
wow! ��

Sean knows we love him.

JJ

Fbody383
02-23-2017, 10:35 AM
Apparently it is SOP per GM to add a tablet per gallon or so on a new engine and keep doing a tablet per gallon replaced of coolant in the future.I have been doing the same on my motors since a weeping freeze plug on a brand new motor caused me some grief. Engineered obsolescence? Just crazy that they don't do it "right." Sean used a socket and the press to make the freeze plug 0.015-ish bigger and a little import grey RTV...

Once that stopped leaking and a test drive found the OTHER steam crossover tube didn't seat well enough so trim the bolt a little and tighten it up. He drove it home last night. All in all not too bad a project all things considered.

Fbody383
02-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Orange is Fast!

https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2017/2/mclaren-revive-orange-livery-with-mcl32/_jcr_content/articleContent/manual_gallery/image11.img.1536.medium.jpg/1487948349442.jpg

marshall_mosty
02-24-2017, 12:06 PM
Orange is Fast!

https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2017/2/mclaren-revive-orange-livery-with-mcl32/_jcr_content/articleContent/manual_gallery/image11.img.1536.medium.jpg/1487948349442.jpg

Copy that livery and Orange WILL be fast!! (either forwards or backwards, spinning... doesn't matter!!)

Rob Liebbe
02-24-2017, 12:55 PM
Orange is Fast!

I don't think that front air dam will pass tech.

Fbody383
02-27-2017, 02:05 PM
I don't think that front air dam will pass tech. Why the hate? non-mustangs need all the help they can get. what's a little more front downforce on a front heavy chevy?

mach1
02-27-2017, 02:31 PM
Why the hate? non-mustangs need all the help they can get. what's a little more front downforce on a front heavy chevy?

I think Dan settled the non-mustangs are slower than mustangs thing at MSRH.

Supercharged111
02-27-2017, 11:55 PM
I think Dan settled the non-mustangs are slower than mustangs thing at MSRH.

Nice! I had to check results, that's awesome. The reign of the cheater Fords is finally threatened. Today was the first time in my CMC history that I get away with 1 trip to the dyno. I suppose that just means I'm just gonna blow this motor up and start all over in a couple months. . .

Fbody383
02-28-2017, 09:25 AM
I think Dan settled the non-mustangs are slower than mustangs thing at MSRH. Go on... tell everybody you had the flu.

Supercharged111
02-28-2017, 10:03 AM
Go on... tell everybody you had the flu.

He still posted the fastest lap time.

Rob Liebbe
02-28-2017, 10:22 AM
This is my favorite thread on our forum. I really like that it has gone on for 300 pages.