PDA

View Full Version : So, what did you do today?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

HoustonNW
02-27-2012, 12:54 PM
The "clips" at the top are anti-rattle springs. They sit on top of the pads and push on the bridge of the caliper to keep the pads from "rattling" in the caliper. I've run w/out those for many years. Not an issue.
The other 4.... that is up for debate. I've run w/ and w/out them. I have seen more issue from the backing plates on the pads themselves having a sharp edge that will allow the pad to "dig in" and not release smoothly. Take a look at them and round off the edges if they are sharp.

Are the pistons in your calipers hard to push in?

The front driver's side caliper is essentially stuck so I'm installing a new one. I seem to replace both sides at some point every year.

I'm adding cooling ducts after MSR-C so maybe that will help. Or maybe it is just the Autozone rebuilt calipers.

David Love AI27
02-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Yesterday I started trying to figure out what the knock was on my new (used) engine. I used the old screwdriver trick to listen to different areas. I could tell the knock was in the front of the engine (or at least I thought it was). So I decide to pull the front cover off. When I put the impact on the bolt holding the balancer on, it came off with almost no effort. It was no more than finger tight (you will see why later). I pulled the balancer off to find it had been eating into the front cover (going to far up on the crank). After pulling half a million bolts out of the cover, pan, and valve covers I took the cover off. I could not see anything wrong. I took the crank trigger wheel off and noticed it was all tore up. Now this was the wheel out of my old engine since I had read that the powdered metal wheels were prone to cracking. I saw where the chain had been hitting the wheel and went and got the old wheel to compare them. The powdered metal wheen has a 1/4" lip on it that keeps it off the chain. I looked at the bottom timing gear and it had no lip but the one out of the old engine did. So to use the stamped trigger wheel you have to use the new type crank gear. Who knew? If I had just left the powdered metal wheel alone I could have saved all this BS. I'm betting this was the noise and the engine is fine. I will put it back together and chainge the oil again.

JJ

My crossed fingers are starting to cramp.... LOL

BryanL
02-27-2012, 03:26 PM
The front driver's side caliper is essentially stuck so I'm installing a new one. I seem to replace both sides at some point every year.

I'm adding cooling ducts after MSR-C so maybe that will help. Or maybe it is just the Autozone rebuilt calipers.

What kind of caliper grease are you using? I'll have to look to see the brand but Glenn pointed me towards some Ultra High Temp Caliper Grease and I do them every year. Take them out and clean it all then use the high temp grease.

Jerry-that sounds encouraging and maybe the perfect time to upgrade the cams.

Fbody383
02-27-2012, 04:02 PM
So the snow wasn't really all that deep.What are you, 6'11"?

That explains it, you're too tall for a race car.

GlennCMC70
02-27-2012, 05:13 PM

I'll need more details on this. Is the caliper not floating on the guide pins or are the pistons in the caliper stuck?
Does it help to tell you Ihave been runningthe very same calipers since 2005. Not even a rebuild on them yet. I have to think your doing something wrong to get these results. Is this after any work you have done? Pad change? Anything?

The guide pin lube I use is Permatex's Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant. It is rated to 3000 degree's. The Permatex P/N on the bottle is "Item # 24125".
It contains Ceramic Solids - so I brushed it on my exhaust manifolds. I make a hell of a mess during brake jobs. ;)

michaelmosty
02-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Single track or open meadow stuff? Got to ride at the Continental Divide once. The couple ahead of my wife was going so slow they got stuck, so my wife slowed down and got stuck. The boy child and I stopped next to her, skis up so we could get out. When I stepped off to help her out, I sunk chest deep into the power.

Yeah, from the torques boxes. Primer is a color too.
Dave,
It was a combination of roads, single track, and open areas. We'd go for a while through various conditions and then come to a nice open area and our guide would let us open them up. It ended up being 3 different pond-type areas where we just ran circles around the edge. Not huge but enough to get up to 45-50 mph.
There were 4 of us that were lined up right behind the guide and then 4 others that always were a minute or two behind us. We would stop about every 10 minutes and wait for them to catch up and then continue on again. It was funny to hear the little kids tell their moms to go faster so they could stay up with the group!!

Fbody383
02-28-2012, 11:25 AM
It was a combination of roads, single track, and open areas. That's it... move Hallett to February on snowmobiles!

ShadowBolt
03-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Put the engine back together with the correct crank trigger but no soap. F'ing thing knocks after it gets hot. Betting a broken piston at the wrist pin. Took my original iron block apark and it looks okay. Making Cresson is going to be hard now but I have to weeks..............

JJ

Casey_SS
03-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Damn Jerry...you really pissed off the motor gods this time. Sounds tough but I'm pulling for ya to get it done in time. I'm literally just a few minutes down the road from you...send me a PM and lemme know how I can help.

BryanL
03-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Jerry-sorry about breaking your arm. Looks nasty. Don't see how you are going to get the motor going with your arm. Do most of the parts interchange? I need to get back to polishing wheels. Good turnout at cars coffee yesterday. Think there were three mclarens.

mitchntx
03-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Co-worker's FIL is selling his gun collection to fund a retirement boat.

Friday I picked up a Bushmaster M4 w/accessories, Remington 700 in 308 with optics and an unfired Yugo SKS with grenade launcher for WAY less than the cost of a set of 17" RA1s.

Alien
03-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Jerry, take a tip from these guys. They seem to have the engine removal part down to a tree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5V9gGzx1w4&feature=youtu.be

ShadowBolt
03-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Just picked up the heads off the DL engine from the machine shop and after shelling out $150.00 all is well. Starting back together tonight. I pushed the two pistons and rods that had been hit by the valves (at Hallett in 2010) out of the block and had them checked and all looks great. Spent $350.00 last night on cam timing parts, head gaskets and bolts. That did not include chains, or gears or tentioners. Just guides, tentioner arms, seals, and gaskets. Damn mod motor parts cost an arm and a leg. So we add 70 lbs. to the nose but get to lose 50 lbs. off the total weight. I'm going to try like hell to get this all done this week and dropped in this weekend so I can make MSRC.

JJ

JJ

rleng1
03-06-2012, 06:11 PM
You go girl.....er, huh Jerry.

HoustonNW
03-06-2012, 09:39 PM
I got a day of CBP in with a new driver's side front caliper, new slider pins, and the high temp "ceramic" grease. Still got bad pad kickback and had to pump the pedal on the straights.

Someone asked if I left-foot braked, saying if I dragged the brake pedal it might be heating up the brakes too much. Not sure if I agree with or understood the reasoning but I quit. No more soft pedal!

I think the car might be a touch loose. I have 650 front and 200 rear springs, 30mm front and 19mm rear bars. Does anyone in the Houston area have a 32mm front bar that I could borrow for Cresson?

David Love AI27
03-06-2012, 09:57 PM
I got a day of CBP in with a new driver's side front caliper, new slider pins, and the high temp "ceramic" grease. Still got bad pad kickback and had to pump the pedal on the straights.

Someone asked if I left-foot braked, saying if I dragged the brake pedal it might be heating up the brakes too much. Not sure if I agree with or understood the reasoning but I quit. No more soft pedal!

I think the car might be a touch loose. I have 650 front and 200 rear springs, 30mm front and 19mm rear bars. Does anyone in the Houston area have a 32mm front bar that I could borrow for Cresson?

Cresson is a tighter track than TWS... a little loose might help the car rotate better in the tighter corners... just a guess..

mitchntx
03-07-2012, 04:15 AM

I have a 32 front I can bring to Cresson when I deliver the brake ducts.

rpoz27
03-07-2012, 08:37 AM

wayne, check the slop in the rear axles at the center diff pin....push axle in and out. We chased pad knock back on my car for over a year and it turned out to be slop in the rear axles causing the REAR pads to push off the rotor. No knockback at all now even with shot front hubs.

kbrewmr2
03-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Loose is fast Cole, sinch those belts down tight and let the back hang out!

(PS - I'd be glad to take 'er for a spin and see if it really is "too loose". From the enduros I've done in all kinds of various different cars, I have discovered that I call balanced what most other people call "OMFGWTFBBQ that's undriveably loose ;) - jus sayin )

ShadowBolt
03-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Loaded the car on the trailer and hooked it up to the RV. Leaving for MSRC Friday morning. Hope the car is okay. Is there a dyno we can use at the track?

JJ

GlennCMC70
03-12-2012, 08:48 PM
MER still has a dyno there. Call and ask about availbility though. Ft Worth has 1 and Arlington has one (Alamo Autosports). If you need to use my truck to drive up there and get it done, you can.

Mrs. Crumpacker
03-12-2012, 10:05 PM
It's spring break. Spent the day taking my time getting ready, lunch with Sam, suddenlink run to clear up bill errors, hanging out at Sam's office then toys r us to exchange a few things. Got $350 worth of baby things and only spent $45 after sales, gift cards, and coupons! I call it productive!

Hope to see everyone at TWS with our new future CMCer.

Casey_SS
03-13-2012, 12:47 AM
wayne, check the slop in the rear axles at the center diff pin....push axle in and out. We chased pad knock back on my car for over a year and it turned out to be slop in the rear axles causing the REAR pads to push off the rotor. No knockback at all now even with shot front hubs.

What'd you do to fix the axle slop?

rpoz27
03-13-2012, 07:13 AM
What'd you do to fix the axle slop?

New axles. Consider superior brand.

ShadowBolt
03-13-2012, 09:59 AM
MER still has a dyno there. Call and ask about availbility though. Ft Worth has 1 and Arlington has one (Alamo Autosports). If you need to use my truck to drive up there and get it done, you can.

Thanks Glenn. I sent an e-mail to MER. You better be carefull you will screw up your rep. offering your truck like that (nice offer though).

JJ

GlennCMC70
03-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks Glenn. I sent an e-mail to MER. You better be carefull you will screw up your rep. offering your truck like that (nice offer though).

JJ

Its got some mechanical issues I was gonna blame you for once you got back w/ it. Oh well.

ShadowBolt
03-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Its got some mechanical issues I was gonna blame you for once you got back w/ it. Oh well.

That's the Glenn we all know.

JJ

marshall_mosty
03-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Got my pile of parts back from Richard last night... Brought a piston to work and gave it to one of our materials folks. She said that it looked like a fatigue induced failure in the piston ring land... Guess I will stay away from SRP for the next build. Mahle, here I come!!

David Love AI27
03-14-2012, 06:32 PM
looked like a fatigue induced failure in the ring land...

Sounds like my wedding plan discussion with Sheri on Valentines Day

Rob Liebbe
03-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Sounds like my wedding plan discussion with Sheri on Valentines Day

What?? - wedding plans?? - huh???? Spill.

ShadowBolt
03-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Guess I will stay away from SRP for the next build. Mahle, here I come!!

No No No. DSS Racing.

JJ

GlennCMC70
03-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Had good luck w/ Diamond pistons.

David Love AI27
03-14-2012, 11:34 PM
What?? - wedding plans?? - huh???? Spill.

Like I said: "failure in the ring land"... she wasn't having any part of it... no big deal now I have more time at the track

Fbody383
03-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Sounds like my wedding plan discussion with Sheri on Valentines Day That's funny.

And don't talk to Rob Who... he doesn't even have a race car.

donovan
03-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Got my pile of parts back from Richard last night... Brought a piston to work and gave it to one of our materials folks. She said that it looked like a fatigue induced failure in the piston ring land... Guess I will stay away from SRP for the next build. Mahle, here I come!!

So, you may have analyzed the piston as the failure point, and how it failed (fatigue)... But you have to ask yourself, why did it fail?
Staying away from SRP in the future is not the answer, SRP’s have lived a long life in my 331. That approach could put you in the same situation with a different piston manufacture.

Why did the piston fail? Ring lands will fail for many reasons... Over compression, detonation, size mismatch with cylinder wall... and a few others I can't think of right now. If that was my engine I would look further and try to find the reason before I blame the part or build another engine.

DD

BryanL
03-16-2012, 03:32 PM
It's spring break. Spent the day taking my time getting ready, lunch with Sam, suddenlink run to clear up bill errors, hanging out at Sam's office then toys r us to exchange a few things. Got $350 worth of baby things and only spent $45 after sales, gift cards, and coupons! I call it productive!

Hope to see everyone at TWS with our new future CMCer.

Did I miss something? I thought April was the due date?

Mrs. Crumpacker
03-16-2012, 09:18 PM
April 16th. The TWS event is a couple weeks after she arrives.

marshall_mosty
03-18-2012, 07:26 PM
So, you may have analyzed the piston as the failure point, and how it failed (fatigue)... But you have to ask yourself, why did it fail?
Staying away from SRP in the future is not the answer, SRP’s have lived a long life in my 331. That approach could put you in the same situation with a different piston manufacture.

Why did the piston fail? Ring lands will fail for many reasons... Over compression, detonation, size mismatch with cylinder wall... and a few others I can't think of right now. If that was my engine I would look further and try to find the reason before I blame the part or build another engine.

DD

David,
Good point. I'm going to have the injectors sent off and cleaned/flowed. They are only about 4 hours old, but hey, something caused it... I agree that the fatigue failure was probably due to some other "issue" that hasn't been resolved...

I know for the next motor what the head size is, so I can ensure I keep the compression in check. I'm going to stay around 10.0:1 for the next motor to just be on the safe side...

jdlingle
03-18-2012, 08:54 PM
All right DFW guys, hook a brother up with some race results!

BryanL
03-18-2012, 09:42 PM

It's up on mylaps. Alford, Cody Powell, Procter and Mosty. Patterson in ai

jdlingle
03-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Four winners in four races. Wish I had been there to see it!

David Love AI27
03-19-2012, 01:07 AM

LiiR moved from AIX to AI to help with the body count in AI... Toyo Bucks Baby!!!

2 4ths, a 5th and a 3rd...

HoustonNW
03-19-2012, 11:23 AM
What is 133 divided by 20? If you also got 6.6, that is my MPG from Cleburne to Hearne.

This might be the reason:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z18/wstehle/Truckdash.jpg

The strong headwind kept the truck in 4th for about half the trip running 20-30 lbs of boost. And that was at a little over 65 mph.

Oh well, I sell to the oil bidness, I guess I can give some back!

cjlmlml
03-19-2012, 01:45 PM

timing.

kbrewmr2
03-19-2012, 03:10 PM
I think I passed you on Hwy 6 somewhere around TWS area or just a little before Wayne...

Wind was pretty brutal, even with a smaller truck and open trailer the headwinds and sidewinds made things not as much fun....

rleng1
03-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Got home and in bed at 12:30 am. wife asleep. got up at 5am to catch a 7am ride to airport to fly to California.. Wife still asleep. she didn't even know I was even there.

marshall_mosty
03-19-2012, 08:16 PM
timing.
The next motor will be 10:1 and it will go on the dyno yet again for a baseline tune... Looking at either Mahle or DSS pistons. There aren't very many options when you start getting specific...

5.4" rod
1.165" compression height
.927 wrist pin
blah
blah
blah

Really only 2 options...

HoustonNW
03-19-2012, 08:21 PM
I think I passed you on Hwy 6 somewhere around TWS area or just a little before Wayne...

Wind was pretty brutal, even with a smaller truck and open trailer the headwinds and sidewinds made things not as much fun....

So that was you. I forgot the car is red now, or do you have two?

Didn't you also stop in Hearne also for gas at a little gas station? With the big trailer I'm careful that I don't get into a spot that I can't get out of.

Waco Racer
03-20-2012, 02:23 PM
I went 2 for 2 this weekend.

kbrewmr2
03-20-2012, 02:45 PM
So that was you. I forgot the car is red now, or do you have two?

Didn't you also stop in Hearne also for gas at a little gas station? With the big trailer I'm careful that I don't get into a spot that I can't get out of.

I have two of em:
red car is the street / backup DE/TT car (1991)
blue car is the one with the cage & all that (1994)

smaller open trailers mean I can stop almost where I please :)

Pranav
03-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Ken, tell your buddy thanks on my behalf for the moonshine. To the gentleman that took pity on my 6-month old cigars, thanks for the cigar!

Fbody383
03-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Worked on getting the video from the GoPro dowloaded onto the home computer...

Which promptly crashed.

kbrewmr2
03-21-2012, 11:45 AM
oh yeah almost forgot about the awesome homemade rum... :drool:

michaelmosty
03-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Worked on getting the video from the GoPro dowloaded onto the home computer...

Which promptly crashed.

That is classic Dave, haha!!! ;^)

Fbody383
03-21-2012, 02:22 PM
That is classic Dave, haha!!! ;^)May be the power supply from some local lightning; still helps put a point on the whole weekend.

rleng1
03-22-2012, 08:20 AM
And it surprised you??

Fbody383
03-22-2012, 08:33 AM
And it surprised you??It did... neither you or Jerry was around.

marshall_mosty
03-25-2012, 07:23 PM
In Irvine, CA... and it's raining... Great, I thought it was supposed to be "sunny" California...

Fbody383
03-28-2012, 01:21 PM
Got the computer working again... just set up some cones in the backyard and drug it "off course."

Picked up a fender, nose, and mirror for the orange car - it may just become primer grey all over. We'll see how it test fits tonight. Might run it over for an alignment and see how square it is.

jdlingle
03-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Always thought I just wasnt cut out for running, thought that the weezy feeling I got was from allergies. Found out today its because I have asthma.

Dr did some kind of breath test on me and I was only using 65% of my lung capacity. Couple of puffs on an inhaler and I was up to 83%. Trying to figure out what Im gonna do with all this extra air!

Fbody383
03-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Trying to figure out what Im gonna do with all this extra air!Maybe help Liebbe build a race car.

Did the test fit of the nose/left fender on the hooptie... not square enough yet, but looks like it will get there. Not sure what color(s) the car will be for TWS... or Hallett. Might have to borrow one for the podium pics.

Mrs. Crumpacker
03-30-2012, 05:44 AM
Went to my doctor yesterday...if our little racer doesn't show on her own in the next week I will be induced April 10th. It's 6 days ahead of my adjusted due date and 1 day behind my original due date. Excited and a little scared at the fact she will be here in less than 2 weeks. :)

ShadowBolt
03-30-2012, 07:17 AM
Went to my doctor yesterday...if our little racer doesn't show on her own in the next week I will be induced April 10th. It's 6 days ahead of my adjusted due date and 1 day behind my original due date. Excited and a little scared at the fact she will be here in less than 2 weeks. :)

Happy for both of you. I'm sure you know post-term can cause more issurs than pre-term. Trust your Dr. and enjoy it all. It seams like yesterday I was going through the same thing with Jay. Time really flys and it gets faster every year (as Old English can tell you).

JJ

MPHoldway
03-30-2012, 07:40 AM
She'll probably be happiest in the racecar!!! Naps and all... :D Can't wait to meet the new little Crum!
Ours turned 4 yesterday! Can't believe we've kept the little cone heads alive that long.

Mindy

AllZWay
03-30-2012, 08:09 AM

Awesome... I am rooting for an April 1st birthday. :D

Fbody383
03-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Went to my doctor yesterday... Excited and a little scared at the fact she will be here in less than 2 weeks. :)Whoop! Almost there. Kimberly was induced for our first; still the most amazing thing I've ever been through. Praying for you guys... relax and enjoy the process the best you can.

rleng1
03-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Mrs. Crumpacker will do fine. It's Mr. Crumpacker that I worry about. It will be the coolest thing yet.
And yes time flies. It seemed like I was just 20 years old last weekend driving a Honda 50 mini-bike through a slalom of chairs. Oh wait, that was last week.......nevermind.
Come on Darcie, you can do it. Praying for you.

Rob Liebbe
03-30-2012, 04:49 PM
I almost missed my first son's birth because I got hungry and went to the cafeteria for a hamburger. My wife was screaming - FIND MY HUSBAND!!!!! Fortunately I heard them paging me and made it in time to be there.

So on the next child, she didn't let me leave the room. When I cut his umbilical cord, he pissed on me. No respect. :)

ShadowBolt
03-30-2012, 05:59 PM
When I cut his umbilical cord, he pissed on me. No respect. :)
I have wanted to do that to you several times.

JJ

GlennCMC70
03-30-2012, 10:30 PM
I have wanted to do that to you several times.

JJ

You have wanted to cut his cord?

ShadowBolt
03-31-2012, 08:17 AM
You have wanted to cut his cord?

No, piss on him.

JJ

GlennCMC70
03-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Oh........ ;)

BlueFirePony
04-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Smoked a brisket and made some ABTs with chirizo and got creative with a smoked Tequila pineapple. OMG...the pineapple was fantastic! Gonna be on the menu the next time I invite folks over (stay tuned on details on that - keep April 21st free if you are in DFW or interested in making the drive up ).

Rob Liebbe
04-01-2012, 07:14 PM
No, piss on him.

JJ

Uh, I'm not really sure how to feel or even respond to that. :confused:

marshall_mosty
04-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Darcie,
Shoot for Apr-6 so you can share the date with my youngest. He'll be 5 going on 25 (at least if we go off his attitude...).

Rsmith350
04-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Just noticed that the car Will Smith drives in Irobot (2004) is the concept for the Audi R8.....random

Fbody383
04-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Went to my doctor yesterday...if our little racer doesn't show on her own in the next week I will be induced April 10th. It's 6 days ahead of my adjusted due date and 1 day behind my original due date. Excited and a little scared at the fact she will be here in less than 2 weeks. :) What's the update... new racer on the way...

Rsmith350
04-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Baby Update?! I second that!

Crumpacker
04-09-2012, 03:32 PM
No poo factory yet... last plan I heard was checking into the hospital early, early morning (like midnight - 1am) and getting ready for the long haul. She'll start on the less aggressive meds first and see if that does it, we'll call these "Keystone"... she'll hit the hard stuff later, if needed - we'll refer to those as "Dr. Frank's Sippin Hooch". Cross your fingers "Keystone" does the trick.

It's possible her anesthesiologist will be a racer friend too. He runs a Porsche with CVAR (the orange Jagermeister car) and we've run on the same LeMons team a couple times.

marshall_mosty
04-09-2012, 04:05 PM
It's possible her anesthesiologist will be a racer friend too. He runs a Porsche with CVAR (the orange Jagermeister car) and we've run on the same LeMons team a couple times.

Make sure if she ops for an epidural (my wife would highly recommend one both personally and professionally) they put it on a pump. Much better then having to redose if it starts to wear off right when she needs it the most. As my wife says, there is no blue ribbon for going natural. Medicine has come a LONG way for a reason.

Also, take the nurses Starbucks and donuts/cookies. You will be the rock star of the hospital and they will go out of their way to keep you happy.

jdlingle
04-09-2012, 08:19 PM
+1 epidural! Remind her the only trophy is the baby,no one will kid her for taking medicine. My wife swears by the epidural, without it she would have been swearing at me!

BlueFirePony
04-09-2012, 11:09 PM
+1 epidural! Remind her the only trophy is the baby,no one will kid her for taking medicine. My wife swears by the epidural, without it she would have been swearing at me!
Anna delivered all four of our kids w/o epidural...tough girl my Anna. I myself was doped up for weeks before and after...never felt a thing.

My academic focus was bio-electronics so I dug through any research I could find when Anna was carrying Chris (25 years ago) and most concluded a) longer labor and b) more chance of surgical intervention - by quite large margins IIRC. As an engineer I was keen to avoid too much human intervention over too long a period of time (MTBF).
Anna just didn't trust anesthesiologists (personal experiences). So we agreed no epidural.
Pretty sure if we had a kid today it would be a no-brainer...go epidural!

Interestingly many of those early studies were poo poo'd in later years but studies in the last 10 years seem to support both conclusions afterall (I looked into it again when my sister was pregnant).
Anna delivered Chelsea and Cameron so fast I almost missed both while I was changing into scrubs.

ShadowBolt
04-11-2012, 12:00 PM
I assume you all know Darcie had the little curtain climber yesterday. Audrey Elise Crumpacker was born just afternoon. 7lbs. 9oz of a beautiful little girl.

Great job Darcie!

JJ

Rsmith350
04-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Congratulations on the new pit crew!

Fbody383
04-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Great job Darcie!Congrats!

Didn't know... bow-tie brigade. At least you Mustang guys stick together.

Fbody383
04-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Reviewed the Federal Income Tax filing yesterday...How much of my F*'n money does the government need? I get the pleasure of writing an additional check that smells a lot like a couple seasons of a two car CMC team.To pretend I feel better, I dropped the White House a note asking when Mr. President, "who has been blessed, and has the ability to pay more taxes," is actually going to pony up and write the check.Let me know if you're going to vote for his second term... should be a lively converstion.

ShadowBolt
04-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Reviewed the Federal Income Tax filing yesterday...How much of my F*'n money does the government need? I get the pleasure of writing an additional check that smells a lot like a couple seasons of a two car CMC team.To pretend I feel better, I dropped the White House a note asking when Mr. President, "who has been blessed, and has the ability to pay more taxes," is actually going to pony up and write the check.Let me know if you're going to vote for his second term... should be a lively converstion.

You know where I stand on that SOB.

JJ

AllZWay
04-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Congrats to Sam & Darcie.

My condolences to Dave and his wallet. I get really p!$$ed every year when Kendra and I pay our taxes... Especially because we see the dirtbags milking welfare on a daily basis.

rpoz27
04-12-2012, 10:41 AM
You know where I stand on that SOB.

JJ

Vote democratic....its easier than working! Lol!

Rsmith350
04-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Don't think racer democrats exist :)

BlueFirePony
04-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Don't think racer democrats exist :)
If they do, they'd drive a porche.....just sayin'

Rsmith350
04-12-2012, 02:10 PM
If they do, they'd drive a porche.....just sayin'

******insert indignation from Al here****** :) :) :)

BlueFirePony
04-12-2012, 11:11 PM
******insert indignation from Al here****** :) :) :)
Don't forget Todd...I don't play favorites

Rob Liebbe
04-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Don't forget Todd...I don't play favorites

Token Democrats

cjlmlml
04-13-2012, 01:39 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304444604577341681568466086.html?m od=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

The president's effective tax rate was 19%, compared with an effective tax rate of 14% for 2010 for the probable Republican presidential nominee, Mitt Romney. The campaign hasn't released Mr. Romney's 2011 tax return.

BlueFirePony
04-13-2012, 11:37 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304444604577341681568466086.html?m od=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

The president's effective tax rate was 19%, compared with an effective tax rate of 14% for 2010 for the probable Republican presidential nominee, Mitt Romney. The campaign hasn't released Mr. Romney's 2011 tax return.
Good for Romney- clearly can manage his own money - not sure he can mine, but clearly better than Obama...no reason any of us should be paying more than 14% effective rate if a) just 50% waste eliminated and b) budget balanced year to year. Canada has a lower effective tax rate than the US does...

Fbody383
04-14-2012, 03:59 PM
The president's effective tax rate was 19%, compared with an effective tax rate of 14% for 2010 for the probable Republican presidential nominee, Mitt Romney. What's your point?

Current tax law gives a break for long term capital gains versus "ordinary" income; but the real question is how much is enough? What's the minimum amount ANYONE with "ordinary" income should pay in federal income tax? It's certainly NOT zero.

And don't get me started on private real property ownership when you have to rent it back from the State every year..

Rsmith350
04-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Apparently "what we did today" was talk about politics :)

rleng1
04-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Watched the RM boys run at PPIR in Colorado. Great racing and great food. Tommie is still fast, with Cody, RayBob and Chris giving him some challenges. Had 17 AI and CMC cars. Pretty good turnout. No contact.

cjlmlml
04-16-2012, 10:06 AM
What's your point?

Current tax law gives a break for long term capital gains versus "ordinary" income; but the real question is how much is enough? What's the minimum amount ANYONE with "ordinary" income should pay in federal income tax? It's certainly NOT zero.

And don't get me started on private real property ownership when you have to rent it back from the State every year..

I guess the point is that our fearless leader in Washington is complaining that no one pays enough taxes, & then he only pays 19% ?

Seems contradictory, but what do I know.

Fbody383
04-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Seems contradictory, but what do I know. The better example is that the Dear Leader has said on multiple occassions that, "folks such as myself, that can afford it, would be glad to pay more in taxes." I think I know of at least 6 times he's said essentially the same thing. Let me know what the nice people at The White House or the DNC say to you when you ask when the Prez is going to pony up.

If the law says your marginal rate gets you to an 'average' rate of 19%, then that is what you will pay; but why is 19% too low?

So how much is enough?

And if anybody doesn't think they pay enough in Federal Income Taxes, either give some money to me or write the US Treasury a check (https://www.pay.gov/paygov/forms/formInstance.html?agencyFormId=23779454).

ShadowBolt
04-16-2012, 04:21 PM
The better example is that the Dear Leader has said on multiple occassions that, "folks such as myself, that can afford it, would be glad to pay more in taxes." I think I know of at least 6 times he's said essentially the same thing. Let me know what the nice people at The White House or the DNC say to you when you ask when the Prez is going to pony up.

If the law says your marginal rate gets you to an 'average' rate of 19%, then that is what you will pay; but why is 19% too low?

So how much is enough?

And if anybody doesn't think they pay enough in Federal Income Taxes, either give some money to me or write the US Treasury a check (https://www.pay.gov/paygov/forms/formInstance.html?agencyFormId=23779454).

I hate capitol gains taxes, new vehicle taxes and estate taxes. Why do we have to pay every time a car is sold? Once paid at the new sale is enough.

JJ

BlueFirePony
04-16-2012, 10:40 PM
The better example is that the Dear Leader has said on multiple occassions that, "folks such as myself, that can afford it, would be glad to pay more in taxes." I think I know of at least 6 times he's said essentially the same thing. Let me know what the nice people at The White House or the DNC say to you when you ask when the Prez is going to pony up.I have worked in the "interactive media" world for almost 20 years...highly liberal/progressive tilt to the workforce (easily 4 to 1). Most of my friends from that arena are liberals (offset by conservatives and libertarian friends from non-work friends)...to a one my liberal friends have all maintained that stance...' I am fine with taxes being raised' ..' I would gladly pay more to (pick a rationale...help poor, deficit...anything but national defence)'. To this day not one has voluntarily made a donation to the IRS despite my encouragement. Social conservatives give to charoty almost double what liberals and progressives give based on studies over the last 20 years..lower taxes - we can take care of our needs better.

AllZWay
04-17-2012, 08:53 AM
I guess the point is that our fearless leader in Washington is complaining that no one pays enough taxes, & then he only pays 19% ?

Seems contradictory, but what do I know.

This is the politician belief system... Do as I say...not as I do.

HoustonNW
04-18-2012, 06:41 PM
I was driving back from a customer visit in Stillwater, OK and got through Oklahoma City before traffic. I saw the Oklahoma Motorsports Complex (http://www.oklahomamotorsportscomplex.com/track.html) on the way up and stopped to get some seat time.

I'm not exactly sure how driving a vehicle that has so much front grip that you use it to slow down can help me drive the Camaro, but it was a nice break.

Rob Liebbe
04-19-2012, 09:09 AM
I had minor knee surgery yesterday, enjoying the pain pills today.

Rsmith350
04-19-2012, 03:32 PM

Good luck in recovery sir! You coming this weekend?

Fbody383
04-20-2012, 09:34 AM
I had minor knee surgery yesterday, enjoying the pain pills today. What did you do, twist it climbing out the window of the Vic pretending it was a race car?

BlueFirePony
04-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Wishing you a speedy recovery Rob...hopefully the minor part means you are back on your feet by now- though perhaps with the aid of a crutch...its amazing what they can do with knee surgery (as well as others).

K Shaw
04-20-2012, 02:12 PM
I bought a new gun......for the wife.....and a new to us SUV.....for the wife.

Hmm I wonder where my racing budget whent.

kyle

marshall_mosty
04-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Trina and I participated in the "Relay for Life" in Taylor, TX this weekend. It was a 12-hour "enduro" (7p-7a) of walking to raise money for cancer research. Trina's sister-in-law is battling stage IV colon cancer and is in round 5 of chemo...

At the end (Saturday morning), I had walked almost 11 hours straight and covered approx 30 miles. Needless to say, I was flat worn out. I almost fell out of the Tahoe when we got to the hotel to sleep yesterday.

I can honestly say it was the hardest thing I had ever done in my entire life, with every step from hours 8-11 being painful in my hips, knees, and feet... but it pales in comparison to what a cancer patient goes through daily...

marshall_mosty
04-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Found this on the NASA site... good editing from the left coast boys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPkyiLxeQMY&feature=youtu.be

RichardP
04-23-2012, 02:03 PM
This past weekend Dan and I, along with his wife, daughter, and several of his employees, did the MS150 Houston to Austin bike ride fund raiser. Not too big of a deal for Dan, 'cause he does this kind of stuff all the time, but the last time I did the MS150 was 18 years ago. I remember it being easier back then. That's probably because of the massive head winds on Saturday but there might have been other factors...

Richard P.

jdlingle
04-23-2012, 02:17 PM
I did the MS150 a few years ago(2009 I think). Wife was supposed to ride with me and had talked me into it in the first place, but back trouble kept her out of it. I swore when i finished on Sunday that I would never ride a bike again. Congrats guys, that is a hell of trip.

Congrats to Marshall as well on the Cancer relay. I probably would have fallen asleep standing up about hour 5.

David Love AI27
04-23-2012, 03:38 PM
This past weekend Dan and I, along with his wife, daughter, and several of his employees, did the MS150 Houston to Austin bike ride fund raiser. Not too big of a deal for Dan, 'cause he does this kind of stuff all the time, but the last time I did the MS150 was 18 years ago. I remember it being easier back then. That's probably because of the massive head winds on Saturday but there might have been other factors...

Richard P.
Great job... I just quit smoking a few weeks ago... maybe I will do the ride next year...

y5e06
04-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Went to the dealer today and looked at a '13 Race Red Boss w/ corbeau option. asked their price then informed them their online add indicated invoice and i wanted it. they did a mad scramble and at one point five sales guys including the dealer owner were around a computer trying to change the ad. they came back and said the listing was a mistake by autotrader and should have been $5K over sticker but they'd honor sticker with me for today.... still thinking.
also got price for a '13 white base GT w/ Track Pack & Corbeau Seats for $33K (preferred supplier X-plan, we make microcontrollers for ford etc). would take 6 weeks or so build.
still thinking....
http://cdnedge.vinsolutions.com/AP/4012-2-10098125-62027546-0-0/62027546.jpg

y5e06
04-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Does this make the decision easier?...

AllZWay
04-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Very Nice... go for it.

Wade
04-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Yes that helps. I didn't know they had a suicide door option (handle to the front!) Hahahah. I'd go for a white Boss if that was an option.

ShadowBolt
04-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Engine is back out of the 55. Too tired to pull the heads tonight. Getting good at this. Two and a half hours from start to engine on the floor all by my lomesome. Will look inside tomorrow. Again thanks to Chuck for the use of his fine hoist.

JJ

MikeP99Z
04-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Pulling mine out on Friday. F@#$%@#$!!!

GlennCMC70
05-01-2012, 05:52 AM
I feel your pain brother. I need to put a new ignition coil on before Hallett. ;)

Fbody383
05-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Pulling mine out on Friday. F@#$%@#$!!! Actually planning to start tomorrow evening...

jdlingle
05-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Been futilely checking mylaps for our results. How long does it normally take them to post up?

edrock96GT
05-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Actually planning to start tomorrow evening...

Working on mine now...

ShadowBolt
05-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Been futilely checking mylaps for our results. How long does it normally take them to post up?

It used to take weeks! Now usually it's only a day or two.

JJ

HoustonNW
05-01-2012, 02:45 PM
It used to take weeks! Now usually it's only a day or two.

JJ

I think that it has been Sunday night recently. I don't know what the delay is this time.

kbrewmr2
05-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Dave ususally posts them from the road, but that's also when he has help driving back home. IIRC.

If they're not up in the next day or two I'd start riding him :)

rleng1
05-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Watching youtube videos on how to pull heads off of a LS1.

AllZWay
05-01-2012, 04:28 PM
I had this fun last year after this event. :(

David Love AI27
05-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Trina and I participated in the "Relay for Life" in Taylor, TX this weekend. It was a 12-hour "enduro" (7p-7a) of walking to raise money for cancer research. Trina's sister-in-law is battling stage IV colon cancer and is in round 5 of chemo...

At the end (Saturday morning), I had walked almost 11 hours straight and covered approx 30 miles. Needless to say, I was flat worn out. I almost fell out of the Tahoe when we got to the hotel to sleep yesterday.

I can honestly say it was the hardest thing I had ever done in my entire life, with every step from hours 8-11 being painful in my hips, knees, and feet... but it pales in comparison to what a cancer patient goes through daily...

GREAT JOB!!! This world needs more people like you...

ShadowBolt
05-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Heads are off. I don't see anything wrong. I only had 25 to 30 psi compression on number eight but it looks great.

JJ

mitchntx
05-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Morgan ... I've been lusting after one of those for a while.

I'd sell the my CTS-V for one.

Watching youtube videos on how to pull heads off of a LS1.

Heads coming off isn't a huge task. The only real gotcha going back on is getting all the liquid out of the head bolt holes in the block.

Don't ask how I know this ...

marshall_mosty
05-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Saw Westminster Abbey today... WOW!!!
Going to Stone Henge tomorrow and Windsor Castle and the Roman Bath's

Was nice to bring Trina along on this "business" trip...

cobra132
05-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Man, we need a Mosty intervention. Whose in?

David Love AI27
05-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Saw Westminster Abbey today... WOW!!!
Going to Stone Henge tomorrow and Windsor Castle and the Roman Bath's

Was nice to bring Trina along on this "business" trip...

Stonehenge is overrated... I took the walking tour and at the end there was a disclaimer "that they didn't really know why it was there"...

Check the schedule for Silverstone, they run sprorts car races (like SCCA) and you might get to go in just like you would if you were a guest at one of our events.. I arrived there late on a Sunday afternoon and they were locking up but the security officer took us for a quick tour...

ShadowBolt
05-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Man, we need a Mosty intervention. Whose in?

I'm with you Frank.

JJ

rleng1
05-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Thanks Mitch. May need to have your number on speed dial. Would blowing air in the bolt holes work to get the liquid out?
Thanks.

BryanL
05-04-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm with you Frank.

JJ

I agree-Westminster Abbey should not be followed by- Wow. I lived there for 3 years and would only say Wow about the indian and thai food. As Churchill said "its impossible to convict for sodomy, half the jury doesn't think its possible and the other half are doing it"

GlennCMC70
05-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks Mitch. May need to have your number on speed dial. Would blowing air in the bolt holes work to get the liquid out?
Thanks.

Only if you have a long tube that will reach the bottom of the hole. Blowing down from the deck surface will not work. We did this and it still hydrolocked a headbolt hole and blew the bottom out. Since the OEM headbolts have a threadlocker on them, they seal the hole and compress the liquid inside. We all know how well that works out.

jdlingle
05-04-2012, 08:36 PM
As Churchill said "its impossible to convict for sodomy, half the jury doesn't think its possible and the other half are doing it"

In my best Larry the Cable Guy voice: That's funny right there, I dont care who you are!

jdlingle
05-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Oh also Mylaps are up finally!

marshall_mosty
05-04-2012, 11:03 PM
I agree-Westminster Abbey should not be followed by- Wow. I lived there for 3 years and would only say Wow about the indian and thai food. As Churchill said "its impossible to convict for sodomy, half the jury doesn't think its possible and the other half are doing it"

Bryan,
You have to remember I'm an engineer, so old big stone buildings are still pretty cool in my nerdy head...

ShadowBolt
05-05-2012, 11:47 AM
$440.00 later (new valve springs and four new valves plus labor for valve job) and I'm installing the heads now. Right bank is on. May drop it back in tomorrow. Hallett will be here sooner than you think.

JJ

rleng1
05-05-2012, 04:23 PM
2 hours into it, got the intake manifold off. A lot dirt and trash in there. Now on to the exhaust manifold and valve covers.
Golf was a lot easier.......but oh the andreline on an invert.

Fbody383
05-05-2012, 04:46 PM
I found every left lane nimron between Pearland and Granbury that couldn't find the speed limit with two right feet. What do the put in the water up there?

mitchntx
05-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Its how we roll

HoustonNW
05-05-2012, 07:51 PM
I found every left lane nimron between Pearland and Granbury that couldn't find the speed limit with two right feet. What do the put in the water up there?

I45? I hate I45. Luckily I go to Alvarado and far south Fort Worth on business so Hwy 6 to I35 is actually faster and a much more pleasant drive, at least to me.

ShadowBolt
05-07-2012, 03:18 PM
I got the engine back in the 55 and everything under the car all buttoned up. All I have left is the intake, rad. and wiring.

I have a question about the bolts that hold the driveshaft in. Ever since I bought the car the bolts that hold the shaft to the pinion flange were loose after ever event. I tried blue Locktight.........still no luck. Last time (right after MSRH) I used red Locktight. Getting those bolts out this time took lots of heat. They were really in there. Suggestions (new bolts, different type locking compound)?

JJ

GlennCMC70
05-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Safety wire them in.

RichardP
05-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Suggestions (new bolts, different type locking compound)?

Mine get a small amount of red locktite and are torqued with a large cheater bar. A larger cheater bar is needed to loosen them. Never used heat. Best plan is to avoid having to remove them every week, but you knew that...

Richard P.

cobra132
05-07-2012, 05:17 PM
I cut one end off an 11mm wrench, then slip a long half inch square tube over it and torque the hell out of them. I don't use locktite. Drilling those bolts to safty wire would be difficult, unless Jeremy was arround. FMR

Wade
05-07-2012, 05:20 PM
I use blue gel locktite and a 12mm, 12 point short socket with a flex head ratchet. Works good.

marshall_mosty
05-07-2012, 05:36 PM
I use blue gel locktite and a 12mm, 12 point short socket with a flex head ratchet. Works good.
x2

Rsmith350
05-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Jerry, what are exact dimensions/ thread pitch on the bolts?

GlennCMC70
05-07-2012, 09:29 PM
They sel bolts already drilled.
McMaster-Carr.

kbrewmr2
05-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Oh also Mylaps are up finally!

thanks Wreck Pinata (bang the fenders together until candy comes out), oops, I mean Smash Miata, oops, I mean Spec Miata.

ShadowBolt
05-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Jerry, what are exact dimensions/ thread pitch on the bolts?

I have no idea. I have not measured them. This is the first time I have had this issue with any vehicle I've owned. I did have a axle bearing failing on the race car so maybe that had something to do with it? I use a 12mm ratchet box end.

Jerry

BlueFirePony
05-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Welcomed home a new pony to our stable today. We are done with kids so now its just cars....did I mention I used to be a Camaro guy...how times have changed....
This is my wife's new car...Mandy is the name.

jeffburch
05-10-2012, 03:20 PM
I saw this today.
That's aviation gear up on the dash. Attitude/altitude.
The driver had a millenium falcon shirt on when he came out of AZ.

jb

AllZWay
05-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Burch... you have some odd folks and cars in your neighborhood. :D

David Love AI27
05-11-2012, 09:25 AM
His neighbors say the same thing

kbrewmr2
05-11-2012, 11:20 PM
got notified I'll be canned in two weeks today as part of an acquisition. In an effort to keep me in Texas region graduating people through Time Trials and into racing with CMC in the future if anyone has any leads for Finance or Accounting jobs let me know...

and if I know your name you've probably received a LinkedIn request from me already. Now you know why...

Rsmith350
05-12-2012, 11:21 AM
That sucks Ken, I feel for you! Got laid off on Thursday from Advance. 24 hours later by the grace of God alone I am now a Parts manager for Land Rover/Jaguar North Houston. I hope your luck runs the same!

marshall_mosty
05-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Ken,
That does suck... I'm sure you will bounce back easily!!

marshall_mosty
05-13-2012, 08:19 AM
I got my "old" engine pretty much back to a long block yesterday.. Looks like the tired, old, 6-season 302 will have to run at least 3 more events before the replacement 331 is finished (again).

My only concern is 30# injectors on basically a 300HP/TQ motor. I hope it will spray correctly. I sold off all the 24# stuff, as I figured I would never go back to a 302... I guess never say never. :)

AllZWay
05-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Good luck Ken... that really sux.

y5e06
05-15-2012, 10:30 PM
went and looked at this, but was sold already!
http://www.machaikfl.com/new-inventory/1ZVBP8CUXD5207809

'12 kona blue boss was on the floor but i want a '13 and they were still asking sticker.

talked to the guy that bought this:
http://www.machaikfl.com/new-inventory/1ZVBP8CF0D5201020
turns out, story we got from sales guy:
"old guy walked in wearing dirty jeans and shirt. He leans up against the car in
the show room and and asks ' can i get some help around here?' the sales people
were having a pot luck lunch and were somewhat distracted. 'what's for sale?'.
then says ' aw, i don't feel like walking, how much for this ?'
then he has them start up the car and fills show room w exhaust fumes as he revs
the engine excessively.
then says ' do you take a check?'. and pulls a crumpled book out of his pocket.
tuns out he had PLENTY of funds. He disliked his neighbors and they had a bunch of mustangs, he felt like showing them up. returned later and picked up the car in his
clean ranch clothes", which is when i met him. tall, skinny, crazy old coot.

Mrs. Crumpacker
05-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Since I actually had a few hours where the baby slept I did what any new mom with a mess of a house would do...I created a website for us Crumpacker's to keep people up-to-date...

http://texascrumpackers.weebly.com/index.html

edrock96GT
05-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Picked this up for Sarah today!

Casey_SS
05-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Nice! Congrats man...very happy for you guys :)

AllZWay
05-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Congrats to Eddie and Sarah. :)

michaelmosty
05-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Awesome news, Congratulations!!

cobra132
05-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Congratulations!

BlueFirePony
05-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Nice!! A Rock from The Rock. Congrats again!

Fbody383
05-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Found Nick's next CMC car...

AllZWay
05-22-2012, 01:28 PM
The naked lady on the windshield is a nice touch....usually reserved for 18 wheeler mud flaps. :)

jdlingle
05-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Anybody else notice "Batman" is handicapped? And I mean more than just socially according to his parking spot.:D

Fbody383
05-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Anybody else notice "Batman" is handicapped? And I mean more than just socially according to his parking spot.:D Because he drives a mustang?

I did get more of the 'old' motor onto the 'new' motor. Must keep making progres...

BlueFirePony
05-23-2012, 05:56 PM
My wife's video game Monster Katz was just approved for the Windows Phone Marketplace and should be generally available just in time for the long weekend!!
One "pass" away from being approved on the XBox (it's been in certification for several months) ...grrrrr - Phone version only took a week.
Windows version will be downloadable for free for a month - starting this weekend if get off this forum and get back to work.
Meanwhile, working on the next project that is due out the weekend of Hallet.

David Love AI27
05-23-2012, 08:17 PM
My wife's video game Monster Katz was just approved for the Windows Phone Marketplace and should be generally available just in time for the long weekend!!
One "pass" away from being approved on the XBox (it's been in certification for several months) ...grrrrr - Phone version only took a week.
Windows version will be downloadable for free for a month - starting this weekend if get off this forum and get back to work.
Meanwhile, working on the next project that is due out the weekend of Hallet.

Thats awsome!!

rleng1
05-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Got the heads back on, and everything else installed and wired up. Hit the starter, and she fired right up. Running good.
Installed new valve springs and lifters. Any break-in period needed for these additions, or straight to the track?

GlennCMC70
05-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Got the heads back on, and everything else installed and wired up. Hit the starter, and she fired right up. Running good.
Installed new valve springs and lifters. Any break-in period needed for these additions, or straight to the track?

Just get a bunch of heat cycles on it. Start it up and let it heat soak for 30 minutes and kill it. Do it again the next day. 4-5 times shouldbe plenty.

Gonna need a new dyno?

BryanL
05-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Just get a bunch of heat cycles on it. Start it up and let it heat soak for 30 minutes and kill it. Do it again the next day. 4-5 times shouldbe plenty.

Gonna need a new dyno?

Then change the oil. Light up the credit card and order some Motul 300V 15/50 from Bryce at Alamo.

Wade
05-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Got up at 5:15am and went to watch the Plaza Hotel implosion in College Station at the corner of University and Texas. It was 17 stories tall. It was the tallest privately owned structure in the city. Now there is a pile of rubble. It was pretty amazing to see.

ShadowBolt
05-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Then change the oil. Light up the credit card and order some Motul 300V 15/50 from Bryce at Alamo.

Playing Devil’s advocate how do you (or anyone else) know who’s oil is the best?

I talked to Lake Speed Jr. at Joe Gibbs about what oil to run in my MOD motor and they have one that is a 5-20 that he says will hold up to Racing temps and such. The price is very high.
Here is the e-mail string.

Jerry,

Our new FR20 should be ideal for that application. It is a 5W-20, and it has a very high viscosity index to protect your engine under higher temps.

Thanks,
Lake Speed, Jr.
Certified Lubrication Specialist
Joe Gibbs Driven
13201 Reese Blvd, Suite 200
Huntersville, NC 28078
704-239-4401

On Mar 9, 2012, at 10:48 AM, "Jerry Jordan" <jjordan@picofab.com> wrote:

I race in NASA’s Camaro Mustang Challenge series. This is road racing. I run a 2002 Ford Mustang with a 4.6 mod motor. We have to run stock engines and we are limited to 260 HP/310 TQ but we really push them hard and at high rpms for 30 to 45 minutes. Ford says to run 5/20 oil in this car as a street car but I worry about it in a racing situation. I don’t know the oil temps but I’m in Texas and I’m sure we are pushing 280-300 on hot days.

I would like to know what oil and at what weight I should run?

Thanks for your help.

Jerry

BlueFirePony
05-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Playing Devil’s advocate how do you (or anyone else) know who’s oil is the best?
<jjordan@picofab.com>
Who knows...I use Mobil 1 'cause I am lazy.
I gleaned a lot of knowledge (most of which I've since forgotten) when I worked for a company that specialized in extreme use lubricants (food, heavy industrial, motor sports). We sponsored a champion truck in the Baha series and also worked with some folks in the NASCAR truck series (Bodine for sure...don't remember who else).
I've been meaning to get with them about fluids for our car but just not been on top of my list.
I remember a time where one of the guys (I think Bodine) hit the wall at TMS, ruptured a line and bled all the oil out slowly through the race - did a tear down after the race and found not a single component was heat stressed beyond what they saw during a race with flowing oil. They came to our lab with some of the engine internals to show us how they looked and figured they ran at least the last quarter of the race w/o any oil flowing. This event actually preceded (and probably initiated) a competitor doing a info-mercial where they bled a car and ran it for (I think) 24 hours. From there, the claims got crazy...I think oil cures cancer now.
</jjordan@picofab.com>

BryanL
05-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Bobistheoilguy.com is the place to research oil.

I know what has worked for me and have had it analyzed so I will continue running Motul. I do think with what we do the oil we run and the weight is important. Some run cheap oil and change it more frequently. I will run it a full season and then have it checked by Blackstone. Some may change it midway and say they only change it to get rid of the contaminants. I have heard of guys running Mob 1 synthetic and changing it every saturday night of an event because it broke down so quickly but others run it without a problem. I feel the Motul I run doesn't break down from the heat as fast and the oil analysis support that. I'm not saying there are other oils out there that don't work well. I run Mobil 1 synthetic in my wifes Lexus and it has 251k without showing wear based on the last analysis at 247k. Rotella T6 synthetic goes in the duramax.

Joe Gibbs-I'm sure they have someone making a quality oil for them. I would always assume someone selling something to say they have something ideal for a particular application. I wouldn't run that weight oil in my race car but my understanding is Mod motors run a different weight/viscosity. Gibbs also makes an oil for the LS motors called LS30. It was recommended to English to run it. Though it is a 5/30 oil so I wouldn't put it in my race motor for a 45 minute race at Hallett.

I think anyone should monitor there cold/hot oil pressures and oil pressures during at a high rpm. That may tell you if you need to run a heavier oil or if your bearings may need to be replaced.

HoustonNW
05-24-2012, 03:01 PM
I will run it a full season and then have it checked by Blackstone.

So you haven't run a full season on the same oil yet, right?

Rob Liebbe
05-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Mobil 1 20W50 in my motor for the 5 seasons it was running. Changed it every two or three weekends and was only starting to see any problems with high rpm oil pressure. The rebuild will get a bearing clearance check and replacement if needed, new oil pump, and a Canton road race pan filled with Mobil 1 20W50. I was running a stock pan and just overfilled by 1 or 2 quarts until the pressure remained steady in high G turns. I'm afraid to change oils because I've seen a couple of people lose motors soon after doing so.

Yeah, I know, not very scientific or "engineery". Richard is probably rolling his eyes right now.

edrock96GT
05-24-2012, 03:49 PM
I love the infomercials where they drain the oil and run the car...

...because nobody uses hydraulic lifters any more..

michaelmosty
05-24-2012, 03:57 PM
I ran AmsOil 20/50 then 15/50 in my motor for 5 1/2 years before the balancer let go at Hallett. The pistons and cylinder walls looked perfect. I change the oil every 3 events.

BryanL
05-24-2012, 05:27 PM
So you haven't run a full season on the same oil yet, right?

08 and 09 I ran full seasons on the same oil. I change the oil/filter once a year.

rleng1
05-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Shane from Thunder racing was discussing the new LS30 from JGR. that too was the suggestion from lake Speed Jr. The JGR oils have more of the additives, and use a different base oil that doesn't break down under high rpm or high temperatures.
Base oils improve as they move from mineral oils to synthetics to olefans. The have different kinetic viscosities and are able to handle temperature in different ways. I'm sure that is the difference between Mobil to Motul and JRG oils.
Thunder racing actually suggested that a run Rotella through the motor to clean up any debris that may have gotten in the motor from the blown head gasket. I haven't seen any evidence, but ran it anyway.

Casey_SS
05-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Sounds similar to Redline's pitch. It'd be interesting to compare the base stocks used by the different brands marketed for racing. Wonder how many of them start off with the same stuff and just vary the additive package?

BlueFirePony
05-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Bobistheoilguy.com is the place to research oil.
That site is just as full of unfounded, incorrect opinions as any other site.
I know the posts about my former employer on that site were largely exagerated - both to the good and the bad. The truth is in the middle - and the middle is vast.

The internet has two very sharp sides and has become quite the untamed beast . How many media outlets have been duped by wikipedia posts in the last couple years? Imagine the effect on the average Jane/Joe's accumulated knowledge...sigh...remember, blame Gore - he created the mess - I just helped make it worse...but I shall redeem myself - ala my new focus on games vs fact ;)

Fbody383
05-31-2012, 01:57 PM
I was a little late heading out the door today knowing today was "the day." I watched the clouds move slowly across the morning sky, not really in a hurry. Last day of school for the kids and then down to Jamaica Beach for a week of nothing.

Kim and the kids were there when he was born; nothing more than a red sausage of a puppy, really. Before he came to live with us he had already suffered a horrible spider bite and nearly drowned. The white mark on his forehead made him easy to identify. Although his parents were called Liberty and Freedom, he would be Tex to us.

Or Mama's Baby, or Red Dog or Jungle Dog or Pig Dog when he snorted while he slept. He swam in the pool, chased the cats and squirrels and ruled the house. The tile in front of the fireplace was his spot so don't leave anything there. We still remember when he only took up two of those tiles and was not an 85lb lap dog.

He would fetch any of the chew toy "buddies" by name and wanted to wrassle on the floor most nights, if you could take it. Or get up on the end of the couch and pout when we all left him at home. When we left him outside we would often find him sitting in sun deck of pool, regal. Watching. Surveying. In charge of the back yard.

Kim had noticed some lumps in his throat that turned out to be cancerous - lymphoma, apparently not all uncommon in male Goldens. He made it through the chemotherapy well and generally was the dog we all loved.

The last two weeks were not kind. He had pretty severe swelling in a couple legs and was having a hard time getting up and down. He was not himself, and didn't eat or sleep well.

Today was "the day." As we left the vet it started to sprinkle a little. Serendipitous. He didn't like thunder and lightning but a soft, sad rain seems so appropriate. I sure miss that dog.

Goodbye my friend.

Goodnight, Tex.

HoustonNW
05-31-2012, 02:28 PM
Goodbye my friend.

Goodnight, Tex.

D*mn allergies. Sorry for your loss, sounds like he'll be remembered.

Al Fernandez
05-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Condolences David...tough day.

Storm Trooper
05-31-2012, 07:03 PM
I was a little late heading out the door today knowing today was "the day." I watched the clouds move slowly across the morning sky, not really in a hurry. Last day of school for the kids and then down to Jamaica Beach for a week of nothing.

Kim and the kids were there when he was born; nothing more than a red sausage of a puppy, really. Before he came to live with us he had already suffered a horrible spider bite and nearly drowned. The white mark on his forehead made him easy to identify. Although his parents were called Liberty and Freedom, he would be Tex to us.

Or Mama's Baby, or Red Dog or Jungle Dog or Pig Dog when he snorted while he slept. He swam in the pool, chased the cats and squirrels and ruled the house. The tile in front of the fireplace was his spot so don't leave anything there. We still remember when he only took up two of those tiles and was not an 85lb lap dog.

He would fetch any of the chew toy "buddies" by name and wanted to wrassle on the floor most nights, if you could take it. Or get up on the end of the couch and pout when we all left him at home. When we left him outside we would often find him sitting in sun deck of pool, regal. Watching. Surveying. In charge of the back yard.

Kim had noticed some lumps in his throat that turned out to be cancerous - lymphoma, apparently not all uncommon in male Goldens. He made it through the chemotherapy well and generally was the dog we all loved.

The last two weeks were not kind. He had pretty severe swelling in a couple legs and was having a hard time getting up and down. He was not himself, and didn't eat or sleep well.

Today was "the day." As we left the vet it started to sprinkle a little. Serendipitous. He didn't like thunder and lightning but a soft, sad rain seems so appropriate. I sure miss that dog.

Goodbye my friend.

Goodnight, Tex.

I am so sorry David!:-(

Casey_SS
05-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Sorry to hear that David...very bad day indeed.

David Love AI27
05-31-2012, 09:05 PM
sending a prayer for you and your family brother Dave...

David Love AI27
05-31-2012, 09:15 PM
was contracted today to finish up a project car for a member of my church... Triumph TR8 with a Rover all alum small block v8 , holly carb and custom stainless headers... Sweet power in a tiny convertible... Wish I could test it at TWS but no roll bar... at least $8K in the motor alone... My task is to find a way to keep it cool, have you seen the front of this car??... much like a vette..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_TR8

AllZWay
06-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Cool David... I have two Triumph TR7's... one I change to a Ford 2.8 V6 and the other I bought already with a Buick 231 V6.

Great handling cars....terribly built..... but fun to drive. I got my first one at 16 years old and I wore the backRoad of Paris road course out as a teenager. :D

I have the Buick powered convertible one apart painting it (slowly for over 2 years now).

marshall_mosty
06-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Dave,
I'm sorry for your loss. Our little furry critters have a way to work their way into our family. Missed, but never forgotten.

marshall_mosty
06-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Well, my Saturday plain sucked. Went down to the shop to put the final touches on the AI car. had it on the lift, installing the trans. Had the clutch cable already cinched up and that made the tranny impossible to get seated. So, I grabbed an aluminum ladder and climbed up to the engine bay. The tranny jack prevented me from lowering the lift. The ladder was a bit wobely so I figured I should get dow before I fell. Not two seeconds later, the ladder did just that with me 5 feet in the air. I grabbed for the car to hang on and proceeded to dislocate my right shoulder on the way down. I knew before I landed that it was dislocated. Took me a minute to figure out how to get up and over to the table to reduce the dislocation. Had it back in socket within a few minutes. Hung out with Michael for a few hours before heading to the ER, since I knew it was back in place.

History: This was my 5th dislocation, but sadly the first after surgery 14 years ago. I learned how to reduce my own shoulder dislocationafter #2 when I watched the Dr. in action.

Obviously racing is out for at least 6-12 weeks, assuming no surgery. If surgery is required, I'll be out 6 months.... I will be at Hallett to cheer everyone on... Yea!! Go Team!!

Just another lovely hand of cards to play in the exciting game of life.

Pranav
06-03-2012, 04:04 PM
This weekend wasn't too bad, just found out I am a slow fabricator, if I can call myself one. Got the motor plumbed up and ready for fluids, initial wiring, and first start next weekend.

HoustonNW
06-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Just another lovely hand of cards to play in the exciting game of life.

This year has been just a little too "exciting" for you, sorry to hear it.

jdlingle
06-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Damn Marshall that sucks! Hope you get to feeling better soon. At least you didnt pull the car off the lift on top of you though!

marshall_mosty
06-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Damn Marshall that sucks! Hope you get to feeling better soon. At least you didnt pull the car off the lift on top of you though!

Thanks for pointing out the bright side!!

y5e06
06-03-2012, 10:38 PM
1 arm marshal? no problem. just get your bro to prep the car
suicide knob, all the old folks swear by them...
http://15.forumer.com/uploads/blindman/post-15-1267368031.jpg

marshall_mosty
06-04-2012, 08:03 AM

run 4th gear only... hope we don't do an exit test... :)

ShadowBolt
06-04-2012, 08:38 AM

"suicide knob"?

When I was a kid we knew them as something else.

JJ

michaelmosty
06-04-2012, 10:29 AM
After I got Marshall's car back together and off the lift I got mine washed and waxed for next weekend. ;^)

cobra132
06-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Marshall, That sucks, hope you are feeling better. FMR

AllZWay
06-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Marshall, That sucks, hope you are feeling better. FMR

This... that sounds pretty painful.

kbrewmr2
06-04-2012, 05:47 PM
was contracted today to finish up a project car for a member of my church... Triumph TR8 with a Rover all alum small block v8 , holly carb and custom stainless headers... Sweet power in a tiny convertible... Wish I could test it at TWS but no roll bar... at least $8K in the motor alone... My task is to find a way to keep it cool, have you seen the front of this car??... much like a vette..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_TR8
I know a guy that races one on the east coast - want me to pass your contact info (phone, email, etc?) over to him to see if he has any ideas?

marshall_mosty
06-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Went to orthopedic surgeon #2 today, who humbly said... "Shoulders aren't my thing". He did ask who I was talking to other than him and the two that I mentioned were highly recommended by him. He said they were both "shoulder experts". Made me at least feel good about who I have seen and who I will see on Monday.

Good thing is I am out of my sling during the day and have basically the same mobility as before the dislocation. I had a MRI yesterday, so should be able to figure out 100% what the damage was by the end of next week.

BlueFirePony
06-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Marshall if you need a new ortho give me a call...I'm sure I have my frequent surgury punch card around here somewhere...he did my knee and shoulder surgeries - back to back season ending injuries...I had another right after that which I still have not had operated on...so you can use my punch card ;)

Crumpacker
06-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Instructed for Porsche Club at TWS (instead of playing at hallett :( ) ... but I did pilot the most insane car I've ever been in.

911 GT2 RS
Tuned (just shy of 700rwhp) and rocking Hoosiers

roughly 4.4lbs/hp :D

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/samcrumpacker/gt2rstrack.jpg

Of course I looked up the stats when I got home:

911 GT2 RS: scariest car ever?
Palms are clammy. Buttocks are clenched. The mood, in short, is tense.

Porsche has just released details on the 911 GT2 RS – its fastest, most powerful road car ever – and we are frankly a little uneasy.

To remind you, the normal 911 GT2 is already one of the most monstrous cars on the road, with a 523bhp twin-turbo six feeding the rear wheels and a reputation for going sideways and never coming back. They call it The Widowmaker.

And now Porsche has made The Widowmaker even more evil. Here come the headline stats: the 911 GT2 RS produces 611bhp – yep, still all through the rear wheels – weighs 1,370kg and will go from standstill to 124mph in under ten seconds.

It's over 150 lb lighter than the next-rung-down GT2. The variable geometry twin-turbochargerd, horizontally-opposed six cylinder develops 620 HP and 516 lb-ft of torque with a curb weight just a tick over 3,000 lbs. That means every horsepower only has to lug around 4.8 lbs.

Those kinds of numbers mean only one thing: acceleration worthy of a Titan rocket — 0-to-62 MPH comes in only 3.5 seconds, 0-to-124 MPH: 9.8 seconds, 0-to-186 MPH: 28.9 seconds. Then everything gets hauled to a stop via carbon ceramic brakes.

Inside, there are carbon fiber seats, lighter doors and panels. There aren't even door handles for God's sake, rather "door opening straps." This is Porsche done right. Only 500 copies will be built, and with the asking price of £164,107 ($245,000) you better act fast Mr. Moneybags.

BryanL
06-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Instructed for Porsche Club at TWS (instead of playing at hallett :( ) ... but I did pilot the most insane car I've ever been in.

911 GT2 RS
Tuned (just shy of 700rwhp) and rocking Hoosiers

roughly 4.4lbs/hp :D

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/samcrumpacker/gt2rstrack.jpg

Of course I looked up the stats when I got home:

This post is useless without lap times

y5e06
06-11-2012, 09:06 PM
slept in
ate
worked a little (from home)
shopped CL for a few front end panels
unloaded truck
went for a few margaritas w/ the wife.
that's what I did today.

David Love AI27
06-12-2012, 01:12 AM

What he said... BITCH!!!

I was sitting at home all weekend nursing a bad back when I could have riding like "Ms. Daisy"

AllZWay
06-12-2012, 08:15 AM

I thought the same thing... must be ashamed of his times. ;)

marshall_mosty
06-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Went to the 3rd ortho yesterday and got a clean bill of health. Going to start PT on Thursday (already started at home). No restriction on anything, unless it would be a bad idea even before the dislocation... :)

Fbody383
06-12-2012, 11:15 AM
No restriction on anything, unless it would be a bad idea even before the dislocation... :)Like wobbly ladders? Didn't stop you the first time.

Crumpacker
06-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Like wobbly ladders? Didn't stop you the first time.

LOL

I thought the same thing... must be ashamed of his times. ;)

:D

I wish I knew them! No timing equipment in the car - the owner doesn't really care about lap times, he just wants to pass anyone & everyone at will. He also likes to push his braking points to the extreme - which is terrifying in that car.

I didn't have the cajones (or pocketbook) to push much beyond 8/10ths... we were probably lapping in the 1:53-1:55 range.

marshall_mosty
06-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Like wobbly ladders? Didn't stop you the first time.

Okay, well maybe restrict myself from wobbly ladders. :)

Fbody383
06-14-2012, 09:44 AM
New class... Spec Concrete Cart

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/Fbody383/SpecConcreteCart.jpg

Rob Liebbe
06-14-2012, 09:57 AM
I see two concrete carts. You can race two of anything.

Fbody383
06-14-2012, 10:55 AM
I see two concrete carts. You can race two of anything.Proof that it could be a class. You can drive the crappy white one in the background.

Rob Liebbe
06-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Proof that it could be a class. You can drive the crappy white on in the background.

I'll still kick your arse!!!

BryanL
06-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Last night I broke out the box of Nascar collectibles I bought from Gary for my kids to play with. Instead of champagne and real trophy girls at Hallett I celebrated my 4th place with leftover BL and Jeff Gordon.

Rob Liebbe
06-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Last night I broke out the box of Nascar collectibles I bought from Gary for my kids to play with. Instead of champagne and real trophy girls at Hallett I celebrated my 4th place with leftover BL and Jeff Gordon.

You are a natural for fourth place!

marshall_mosty
06-15-2012, 03:31 PM
There it was again... No warning about the claw... I thought this had been discussed...

Pranav
06-16-2012, 10:57 AM
What's the story behind the claw?

BryanL
06-16-2012, 11:48 AM
There it was again... No warning about the claw... I thought this had been discussed...

Exactly why I posted it. Pranav-bring me a 12 pack of BL to ECR and I'll tell you all about it.

Fbody383
06-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Exactly why I posted it. Pranav-bring me a 12 pack of BL to ECR and I'll tell you all about it.Yeah, it's a long standing tradition that the rookies bring the beer to ECR...

Pranav
06-18-2012, 12:31 AM
I'll bring plenty of beer, I just can't guarantee I won't drink all of it and what all you brought first...

ShadowBolt
06-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Watched the Blue Angels this morning in Pensacola. They practice twice a week when they are in town. Going here http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/ tomorrow.

JJ

AllZWay
06-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Jerry...That looks like a good museum. I went to the one at Eglin AFB in Ft. Walton Beach, FL several years ago to see the SR71 Blackbird.

http://www.afarmamentmuseum.com/outside.shtml

GlennCMC70
06-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Got the reverse fixed in my CMC car. Off's are of less worry now.

michaelmosty
06-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Got the reverse fixed in my CMC car. Off's are of less worry now.

"The Bitch" said she misses you.

GlennCMC70
06-21-2012, 04:21 PM
"The Bitch" said she misses you.

You talked to my wife?

Crumpacker
06-21-2012, 05:31 PM
You talked to my wife?

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxjm4n4umw1rn1xxfo1_400.gif

Fbody383
06-22-2012, 11:44 AM
You talked to my wife?*** COMING SOON: New! CMC Director Announcement ***

Dateline: Fort Worth, TX
A local man was found strangled in a driving suit late Friday night...

Fbody383
06-22-2012, 01:36 PM
You guys/gals that are getting married or celebrating significant life events will have to do so without any support from me according to the PITAPOTUS:

edrock96GT
06-22-2012, 03:00 PM
You guys/gals that are getting married or celebrating significant life events will have to do so without any support from me according to the PITAPOTUS:

ObamaCare has already forces 3 clinics around here to close and I already gave my tax money and almost my pension to support his welfare recipients. He's not getting any money voluntarily from me.

Maybe he can dip into that welfare money and donate it to pay for my wedding.

rpoz27
06-22-2012, 05:36 PM

No better a way to let All your friends know that you are an idiot!

rpoz27
06-24-2012, 09:56 AM
This is my birthday present from Matt. He just finished it yesterday.